• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It isn’t so much that they don’t make it easy, it is that they’ve figured this is the best way to maintain a good sized herd, without over population and provide good opportunities to as many hunters as possible. That requires complex management to achieve.

I’ll grant they could probably have better written examples to explain the regulations.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It isn’t so much that they don’t make it easy, it is that they’ve figured this is the best way to maintain a good sized herd, without over population and provide good opportunities to as many hunters as possible. That requires complex management to achieve.

I’ll grant they could probably have better written examples to explain the process of aging deer.
    A slight edit.

...and the reasoning there of. Maybe that was stated when they first presented these new(ish) deer regulations. I guess it would get redundant after a while, but it has the average new hunter scratching their head.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I think the DNR should encourage hunters who are so inclined to help them re-write the guide in a different format with more plain language. I'd certainly make a run at that if they were interested. It is totally confusing for new hunters and should not be that way. Then again, it's far better than the Virginia guide, with its goofy county-by-county/highway-by-highway system, use of terms like "either sex" instead of "any deer" etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom