• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-primer-pro-collator

I reload a lot of 9mm due to my training and competitive shooting hobbies, and I'm one of those dudes who doesn't consider reloading to be a hobby unto itself, just a means to an end. So, the quicker I can pump rounds through my Dillon 650, the better.

Once you've got the case feeder, I think the next stop is getting the primer supply sped up. There's a few options for this, but I liked what I was hearing about the DAA Primer Pro collator, so I gave that a try. It costs $200 off Double Alpha's site. For comparison, the Dillon RF100 is $380. The DAA has no large primer conversion, but is also costs half of what the RF100 does without the conversion...

The DAAPP uses an interesting collator system not unlike the Dillon case feeder. Instead of vibrating, it just has a bowl with a plate that goes around in a circle. You dump a bunch of primers into the bowl (200-400). Primers that are upside down get knocked back off, primers that are the right way get fed down a ramp into your Dillon primer tube. The tube is attached via a magnetic collet, so it pulls straight off when the tube is full, allowing you to dump it straight into your press. There is an optical sensor that detects when 99 primers have been fed into the tube, at which point it shuts off the machine.

I had a problem out the gate where my primers just never seemed to make it to the ramp. DAA's FAQ claimed that loosening the screws connecting the rotating plate to the plate's cover a bit would help solve this, so I gave the screws a half turn, and this seemed to at least get primers down the ramp. It still feels like it could load faster, so I may experiment with loosening them a touch more, but the important part is that it's loading the primers the right way (not upside down) extremely consistently. (I was using Federal primers, which are kind of a best case scenario for it.)

I know a lot of guys are like "why pay $200, I can hunt and peck", but for me, getting those tubes fed quickly over the long-term is worth paying for, and this product seems to do pretty well, at least with some tuning and Federal primers. Plus, since it can handle small rifle primers, it's a solution for 223 when I finally shell out for an RL1100.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    I have one as well. There are a couple video’s out there on how to fix it with pledge and it works if a bit of a pain in the butt. I think the other thing they talked about with the silicone spray just led to a few dead primers.

In the end I just took the screws out of the bowl and plate, separated it and sprayed it with pledge and wiped it down and just left a hint of a film. Takes about 2 minutes to fill the tube now. I probably have 6000 primers through it successfully after the full pledge treatment...

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-primer-pro-collator

I reload a lot of 9mm due to my training and competitive shooting hobbies, and I'm one of those dudes who doesn't consider reloading to be a hobby unto itself, just a means to an end. So, the quicker I can pump rounds through my Dillon 650, the better.

Once you've got the case feeder, I think the next stop is getting the primer supply sped up. There's a few options for this, but I liked what I was hearing about the DAA Primer Pro collator, so I gave that a try. It costs $200 off Double Alpha's site. For comparison, the Dillon RF100 is $380.

If you have not done so, get a bullet dropper from Double Alpha as well. My 650 production went way up after that jem of an upgrade. I wonder why I waited so long to get it now. Kicking myself for not getting it sooner...

My pistol reloading is a means to an end as well as .223. Bigger stuff is all done single stage, since quality over quantity...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you have not done so, get a bullet dropper from Double Alpha as well. My 650 production went way up after that jem of an upgrade. I wonder why I waited so long to get it now. Kicking myself for not getting it sooner...
    It's on my list. Bit of an expensive upgrade, but if it works, it works. Which bullets are you using with yours?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Follow-up: I needed to prime some 223 processed brass last night, and I like to do that on my RCBS bench auto primer (it has good leverage and feel). Unfortunately, Dillon tubes don't work with the bench primer, so I needed to retrofit my RCBS hand pickup small primer tube for use with the DAA Primer Pro. This was easy enough; I simply pulled the wire off the pickup end (I apparently have the very old style tubes), fitted the magnetic collar around it, and loaded my DAAPP with CCI small rifle primers (after emptying it of SPPs, of course). This worked perfectly fine; in fact, the CCI SRPs loaded MUCH faster into the tube, there was none of the problem of them getting to the ramp that I had with Federal primers.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    OP - Two things:

1. To get the primers to load faster DAA suggests spraying silicon spray in a box and then dumping the primers in and shaking them around. Then dump the primers from the box to the Primer Pro. Winchester primers are apparently the slowest moving primers because of some factory coating. There is a YouTube video showing the process.
    2. Look at the Mini Mr. Bullet feeder from DAA. Works well and a fraction of the price.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm not spraying my primers with anything. I could be persuaded to hit the machine with a coat of the stuff. My problem isn't primer movement, it's just that they're not hitting the ramp. What gets there is fine.

I have no problem with just buying a Mr Bullet Feeder outright, I just need to budget it in. Probably will do it on Black Friday.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    What was recommended was... spray the silicon in a cardboard box top.
    Let the spray dry.
    Roll the primers around in the box.
    - Just passing along the suggestion

Also, it says you can try Pledge or another spray polish in the hopper and ramp. Keep the ramp clean with a q-tip.

Again... Just suggestions from DAA.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    It's on my list. Bit of an expensive upgrade, but if it works, it works. Which bullets are you using with yours?

I am using DGbullets, and Bayou bullets. All with the Hi-Tek coating. 135 grain HCL is my bullet of choice.

Have gone through 5 thousand rounds so far this year. The bullet dropper makes it a lot faster to reload...

The one thing if you get one and have the occasional upside down bullet, the hopper needs to be tilted back further.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    I'm not spraying my primers with anything. I could be persuaded to hit the machine with a coat of the stuff. My problem isn't primer movement, it's just that they're not hitting the ramp. What gets there is fine.

I have no problem with just buying a Mr Bullet Feeder outright, I just need to budget it in. Probably will do it on Black Friday.

I tried the silicone.... I might not have let it dry long enough and ended up with a few dead primers.

Pledge is the way to go if you do try something, mine takes a few minutes to fill a tube. I just keep pulling the handle on old blue till the primer warning goes off, reach over and dump the 100 primers in the primer system and put the pickup tube back in the primer pro and hit the button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom