• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I see your rice and raise you some flour!

I actually use about 7-8lbs a month making bread so this is not too ridiculous..

I just ordered some of that yeast packaged like that. What’s the best way to store it? How do you store a bag of flour that size? Do you break it down to smaller containers?

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    We put some in a glass jar in the refrigerator for everyday use. The rest we revacuum seal (I’m sure your could use a plastic bag if you don’t have a vacuum sealer) and put in the freezer.

I usually get my bread yeast at BJs: 2x one pound bags for $4 or $5. We keep one bag in the fridge and draw from that as we use it and keep the other in the freezer (-10*F). I’ve used yeast that “expired” years ago and it’s still perfectly fine.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I usually get my bread yeast at BJs: 2x one pound bags for $4 or $5. We keep one bag in the fridge and draw from that as we use it and keep the other in the freezer (-10*F). I’ve used yeast that “expired” years ago and it’s still perfectly fine.

Definitely. Our experience is it will keep for a long time past the expiration date.

You can always test its viability before using it if you have any question about it. Just Google "proofing yeast" for instructions.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I just ordered some of that yeast packaged like that. What’s the best way to store it? How do you store a bag of flour that size? Do you break it down to smaller containers?

My 50lb sack got broken in to three 5-gallon buckets with lids. It’s about a perfect fit in to two 6-gallon buckets (settled volume is 11.5 gallons for 50lbs of flour).

Can order a 6-pack of buckets and a 6-pack of lids from Home Depot for about $30+ shipping. Or buy a 10-pack of each and its probably just over the $45 minimum to get free shipping.

I keep one bucket in my pantry and the other two in my under porch storage room. Stays about 58F all winter in there and gets up to around 68F in the heat of the summer.

Also store potatoes in there and other bulk foods in buckets. Like all my brewing grains.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    I'll just ask here so as to not start another thread.

Found a coop out of Georgia that makes delivery three times a year. Good prices for grains and other stuff.

Here's the question - Do any of you have a Grain Mill? If so which model? Pros and cons?

Thanks.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'll just ask here so as to not start another thread.

Found a coop out of Georgia that makes delivery three times a year. Good prices for grains and other stuff.

Here's the question - Do any of you have a Grain Mill? If so which model? Pros and cons?

Thanks.

Yes. A unknown brand of dual roller mill. The other is just a generic corona style mill. I use them both for brewing. However, they'll work just fine for grinding grains for things like bread. The dual roller I've really only used once. It does a good job, but not the easiest to setup for anything other than manual crank.

The corona mill I have setup with a 5/8" hex bolt on it so I can drive it with my cordless drill. A 2ah 18v battery will mill around 20lbs of grain in around 20 minutes of work (giving it some time to cool in there so as not to overheat the drill).

I am pretty sure most people aren't going to need to bake THAT much bread that you'd need to mill more than a pound or two a day. Manual crank would work fine for that, but using the drill is still much easier and much faster. My suggestion is either a roller or corona mill, set it up with a bucket system (especially the corona mill). This will help contain the dust produced by milling. Corona mills especially produce a LOT of dust as they throw out the grain milled in a 360 circle. If you mill slowly, not a big deal. If you are milling quickly, let alone using a power drill, it'll absolutely throw milled grain a good 2 feet out around it.

PS I guess I should note, actually milling for flour is going to take a lot more effort as you probably want to double mill it. Pass through once with the plate/rollers at a looser setting and then mill again at a tighter setting to get that nice flour consistency. You could mill once to flour, but that takes a LOT more torque/force to crush the grain that finely in one step. A roller mill would be better for single step milling to flour than a corona mill would be as the roller mill produces a more consistent mill size. I have made barley bread using my corona mill and it turned out just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom