• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    AHH, Yea. Doesn't matter who's giving the orders.They take an oath. If the Oath they take dosen't matter than they are no better than the Terrorists that want to destroy this country, foriegn or domestic.

I guess you miss my point. If soldiers decide to not follow the lawful order of the OIC, then we have a mob, not an Army. If we let the individual grunt make his own decisons about whether to obey the order or not, there would be chaos.

BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I keep thinking that a handgun caliber rifle and handgun to match in a plentiful ammo would be decent to have in a lot if situations. Say even something like the keltec sub2000 in 9mm. It's easy to transport and hide in a backpack folded up, shoots a common ammo, and gets a little more range if needed than your matching handgun. Could also be something like a lever action 357 or 44 mag with matching revolver. Fairly common ammos, would take out any animal or person who tried to pry their way into the house, could go hunting with the rifle and take out any type of game big or small, and even protect you against a bear attack or something crazy.

the Javid

Part time baby killer
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bowie
    Ok that makes sense but I thought what you were saying is that I should be shot if I turned against politicians in that scenario. Totally miss read.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Not much for the Constitution for which the military and police took an oath to uphold are you? Protect the U.S citizens from enemies foreign and domestic?

Actually the oath is:
    I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God

Doesn't say anything about protecting the citizens. Now any soldier can refuse to follow any order that they consider unlawful, but they had better have damn good reasons.

I would like to think that our volunteer, relatively well educated and motivated military, would not attempt to engage in oppressive activities; but that is based on the officers giving the orders and the enlisted following them, feeling that there is accountability. If things ever degraded to the point that the chain of command broke down, then all bets are off.

Of course the the statistical probability of that happening are extremely small, though finite.

Edit: Very interesting article here from the University of Michigan that utilizes Game Theory (basically group dynamic behavior modeling) to substantiate the viability of various aspects and clauses of the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution. Took me a while to find it, hadn't read it in a long time. lol

http://www.yanchen.people.si.umich.edu/published/Chen_Ordeshook_CPE_1994.pdf

Yes, I'm a geek, so sue me. :D

Edit2: Sorry to get OT.

upacreek

Jun 9, 2012
    Brandywine, MD
    Curious.....by what standards do you judge a rifle to be a good "SHTF Rifle?" Caliber? Mag capacity? DIstance? Knock Down power? SBR? etc etc?

I know when I say rifle it includes shotguns but I put shotguns in a "SHTF Shotgun" catagories of its own. So lets keep shotty's out of this?

What are you standards?
    What is your ideal SHTF Rifle?
    What is YOUR SHTF Rifle?

Mossberg 500! Yea yea, the rules you say....:innocent0

tiersmoke92555

Prince George's County Freedom Fighter
    Jun 28, 2012
    Capitol Heights
    No bull, after this storm we just had every thing went live. The long guns and hand guns. In shtf moments a working reliable firearm is at the top of my list hi-point to sig. If its gonna send rounds where i put them reliably I much don't care. Anyway learn to use what you have, go over a battle plan with the *whole* family(kids too), run drills drils drills. Forget about me with the moss look out for my wife with the .22, I Have created a monster. And again I know I'm all over the place and my not have answered the question but learn to use what you have.

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    all of the above are great options. My personal SHTF rifle is an AK 7.62x39 for the same reasons previously mentioned.

However,

I think it's worth noting that a suppressed 22LR like a 10/22 with subsonic ammo would allow you to go up into the hills, hunt small game, and not be heard. You could stockpile tons of ammo too. They say a 22LR can be heard for a mile and a half unsuppressed.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    all of the above are great options. My personal SHTF rifle is an AK 7.62x39 for the same reasons previously mentioned.

However,

I think it's worth noting that a suppressed 22LR like a 10/22 with subsonic ammo would allow you to go up into the hills, hunt small game, and not be heard. You could stockpile tons of ammo too. They say a 22LR can be heard for a mile and a half unsuppressed.

You know what's even quieter? Snares. And there's no $200 tax on them.

Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    For me is the SHTF I would Have my SR9 on my side My Mossy 590A1SP on my back in a scabbard with a over the shoulder shot-shell bandoleer and my Ar-15 Spikes Zombie gun on my chest. 9mm 12 gage and .223 all military rounds and sold at every store that sells ammo. But if it could only be one it would be my Ar for sure high cap mags light ammo good knock down power accurate far out and easy to repair with parts at every store that sells gun parts and military uses them so there ain't nothing better for those reasons. I know there are other gun you can argue as being better but the AR makes the most since right now because of its popularity and the military uses it witch makes parts plentiful. Also if I had a Glock 9mm that would be my choice fora pistol but I don't so its my SR9.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    'nough said, this is my SHTF rifle.

jleahey

Oct 10, 2010
    Standards for me -

Reliability - has to go bang every time, within reason, parts wear/break.

Accuracy - I want to hit my intended target as accurately as possible as often as possible.

Capacity - If I need to carry ammo, the more I can carry easily, the better. High-cap mags are also a plus.

Power - enough to neutralize a threat, but not so much I worry about unintended damage from the round blowing thru the target.

Caliber - open to debate, everyone has their preference, but a commonly available round is my preference.

My first choice, AR - ammo is widely available, the weight is manageable (even with some attachments), and the accuracy is there. Some may say the cartridge is underpowered, but there's a lot of people not breathing anymore because of that round, so I feel good with it.

Second choice, AK - 7.62x39 is also widely available, accuracy is 'good enough' to drop threats, good power, high-cap mags.

I completely agree with this except my choice goes with the AK .... any bit of dirt in the AR will jam that joker up where the AK will still run .....
    reliability is key .. plus they have bulk ammo in the 7.62 .. no worries about runnin out

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    The point is rapidly approaching where people would rather die an enemy combatant then to live in this country. The government has to start treading carefully. Those Gadsden flags might start coming out soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom