• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I'm itching to get back out there this year, if i can find more primers haha! Last year I still managed to get 24 of them last year. I increased the data points I collect when they are shot too. https://benspelledabc.me/groundhog_logbook/charts/by_month/

Very cool site, man. Did you build that yourself? I have been building some websites in Django, it’s pretty fun.

I built a site to help C&R owners match up parts. I basically finished the site but for some reason have been lazy in promoting it and getting it properly hosted.

https://rocky-woodland-11115.herokuapp.com/

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Came here because yesterday I heard pigs whistling for the first time this year. Must be coming out of hibernation...

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Well the health dept called said the test was negative. No idea what that furballs issue was never seen one act like that before.

Could be that it hadn't eaten enough for a full hibernation and came out early. That's what causes "winter bears" in Alaska and other areas where they truly hibernate. They don't eat enough, go to sleep for the winter, and wake up with snow still on the ground hungry, angry, and willing to attack ANYTHING.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Very cool site, man. Did you build that yourself? I have been building some websites in Django, it’s pretty fun.

I built a site to help C&R owners match up parts. I basically finished the site but for some reason have been lazy in promoting it and getting it properly hosted.

https://rocky-woodland-11115.herokuapp.com/

Thanks and yes. i built it during covid "break". I've done the site several times, this iteration is in python/django and i add new features every time i do it in a new language. i've done it in php, vb.net, c#, java, and now python. Happy to chat about it in a PM if you rather.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    BAHH! I was looking for this thread yesterday, couldnt find it. First two of the year for me. Good ol 22-250 62gr controlled chaos at 3,500 and change FPS. 200yards.

C52AD4A9-552D-4E55-9F1B-7A295398624A.jpeg

and

085C62DD-AC13-481E-BA9C-A58D1D20B72E.png

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Also ask farmers growing soy beans.

My farm is rented out to a farmer, growing soy beans and corn. Estimated 20% crop loss from deer and groundhogs. I pull about 20 ghogs and 6-12 deer per year out of 1 of the 4 fields up there. I don't even have time to get to the other 3 fields.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Loved shooting them, haven't done it in a few
    Used to shoot on my cousins farm take the Old
    Ruger M77V's out 25.06, 220 Swift both with
    Leupold 36x glass When doing the Hay take the
    Blackhawk 44 or XP100 or the 30 Herrett Contender
    mowing it done that is, round bales was with the 44
    BH in a shoulder holster...Fun times The Barrett likes
    em also...

-Rock

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Today’s first groundhog started to sun bath 5yards past the gong I’ve been shooting at for 2 years with this rifle.

515y, 12mph 1/2 value wind. Still nailed her.

14473876-254D-4BD9-8070-7DCC33CDE04D.jpeg

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    There's a grin. Nice shot! :)

Hahah. Thanks and Ya.. I was stoked. Accuracy via marksmanship not volume. Really like this rifle (Ruger American 22-250, with aftermarket Magpul hunter American stock). Nikon Prostaff P5 something... 4-16 zoom.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    547y, 8mph half value wind. Didn’t bother with windage because it wasn’t consistent. I just shot between gusts.

D7E49C7E-7E9D-4D13-AC77-1D69812837A8.jpeg

6BF509F2-D4C5-42E5-9746-4A86427B9780.jpeg

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I feel like there should be more blood on those critters...are you sure you're hitting them and not scaring them to death? :lol2:

I wish I had a place I could shoot to 500 whenever I wanted. So envious of that.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I feel like there should be more blood on those critters...are you sure you're hitting them and not scaring them to death? :lol2:

I wish I had a place I could shoot to 500 whenever I wanted. So envious of that.

Hahah. I changed loads. The old one was described as “their insides are on the outside!”

It was a 69gr match-king handload. It’s now a 62gr Lehigh defense controlled chaos handload.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I'm itching to get out. 17hmr was busy last year. Might be fewer there this year. Hope to try my AR if my can shows up in another couple of months. Got some 40gr varmit rounds to try.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I'm itching to get out. 17hmr was busy last year. Might be fewer there this year. Hope to try my AR if my can shows up in another couple of months. Got some 40gr varmit rounds to try.

If you want, I can store info of your groundhog “removals” on my website. It tracks sex, weight, location (gps, which can be optional for security/privacy reasons), firearm used, ammo, cloud level, temperature.. wind speed and direction. HTTPS://BenSpelledABC.me

Check it out. I use it build it last year, because I got tired trying to remember everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom