• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I've done a Google search, but I'm still confused about the best way to sight in my VZ2008.
    At 25 yards with the rear sight at minimum range my POI is centered but is about 4 inches above my POA.

Should I adjust to make the POI and POA the same? If I do, how will that affect the POI at other
    distances?

Suggestions appreciated.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I'd shoot at 50 yards before doing anything

Thanks. I'm going to AGC in the morning and will start at 50 yards before making any adjustments.

Several things I read said that soldiers shooting the AK and similar rifles were trained to aim at the belt buckle of a man sized target and they would get a solid hit with "battle zero" up to 100 yards.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Thanks. I'm going to AGC in the morning and will start at 50 yards before making any adjustments.

Several things I read said that soldiers shooting the AK and similar rifles were trained to aim at the belt buckle of a man sized target and they would get a solid hit with "battle zero" up to 100 yards.

Yes on American rifles it's often referred to as the 6 o'clock hold.

POA/POI should be roughly the same at all distances. What you would ideally do is zero it at 10/25 yards (I prefer 10) to make sure everything is square and you have solid fundamentals, (if you slap the trigger at 10 yards the end result is only going to get worse as you get further out).
    10 yards is also very visible to the naked eye so there's less need for a spotting scope etc.

Some people advocate for the practicalities of the 6 o'clock hold and some prefer POA/POI being the same. I'm in the second group but the first has its merits on target and defensive applications.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Zeroing with a 6o'clock hold is great for target shooting at known distances at targets of known dimensions.
    Taking a potshot at some critter at something-ish yards away- not so much.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Zeroing with a 6o'clock hold is great for target shooting at known distances at targets of known dimensions.
    Taking a potshot at some critter at something-ish yards away- not so much.

Yes but "dead hold" also obscures the target at longer ranges. There's tradeoffs in everything.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Thanks for the advice. I spent some time shooting and adjusting at 50 yards. Now I'm satisfied with the zero.

There were several people shooting steel targets at 100 yards. I swapped my VZ2008 with the shooter next to me who was shooting a vintage milsurp semi-auto. We both got a kick out of the experience and I like the sound of lead on steel. Thanks to Tranh for sharing his old war horse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom