• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    My Roberts Field backyard is the cornfield across the street from Jos A Bank, is this the one?

The field I used to hunt is on Houcksville Rd.

I have worked on some houses in Roberts Field and I know what you mean by the large amount of geese using those fields...makes you drool

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I had a lot fly over my 5 dozen bigfeet this past Saturday. Some 20+bird groups have us a look but all seemed to head over to Melrose. I was just off watertank rd./QUOTE]

Just a guestimate.....but I probably saw at least 2 thousand geese land in the field in Melrose.Most coming from the North ,South and South East.I bet most of the ones that flew past you ,landed in that field.

I took my grand son deer hunting off of Watertank Rd and he his killed his first deer there(small doe) then the next day he got another small doe.That was exciting

tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    Wish I hadn't just seen this topic....I've been goose hunting before with a guide a few times, but within the past few weeks the waterfowl bug bit me hard and I want to do ALOT more this coming year, but I'm still a total noob and have no clue where to go since I don't have a boat or dog....anybody be willing to have a tag along for next season? Can't hurt to ask....but I do have some decoys that I won in a Maryland Waterfowlers Association raffle a few years ago, both geese and ducks....and started practicing with calls too! :D

tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    I'd be willing to have you along on a float trip down the Non-Tidal Potomac or Monocacy. Know it's a bit of a haul from the Baltimore area, but it's a pretty neat experience if my trip this past week was any indication.

Meh...haul schmaul...if there's an invite I'm usually all over it! Would never turn down an invite without a good excuse :thumbsup:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Meh...haul schmaul...if there's an invite I'm usually all over it! Would never turn down an invite without a good excuse :thumbsup:

Sounds good. I'm fixing up a canoe I picked up the other weekend as we speak, so it'll make it all even easier. The guy in back paddles, gun in front shoots, trade off every so often. I also have one-man kayaks as well should you want to go that route.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    025-1_zpsjsp4v3mx.jpg

20171215_095917_zpskywr7lbz.jpg

The one on the far left is a juvenile King Eider. It's at the taxidermist, along with the Old Squaw above.

tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    Sounds good. I'm fixing up a canoe I picked up the other weekend as we speak, so it'll make it all even easier. The guy in back paddles, gun in front shoots, trade off every so often. I also have one-man kayaks as well should you want to go that route.

Sounds like fun on the canoe.....never been on a kayak before but have been thinking about them...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Was only able to get 1 per guy. I remembered that your hunting partner can call too much.

Same thing happened to us today. Should have actually limited out on the first group that came by, but I lost sight of them when they went behind the blind. They passed right over the left side (i.e., my side) at about 20 yards. Did not pick them up until they were 50 yards passed the blind and I only killed a single. That group circled the decoys 4 times and the one I killed had the landing gear down when I killed it at 50 yards. There was no wind this morning, so it was really hard to set up the decoys so they would land where we wanted them. After that, about 1,000 birds passed by us and landed in a field across the street. Around 10:30, we had a single coming in low. Couple calls and it made a bee line for decoys and landed in them about 20 yards away.

We had lots of birds looking. Even had a group of 10 from the left lock up about 100 yards away and then they saw the birds across the street. They started beating their wings again and skirted the decoys in front of our blind just high enough and far enough for us not to take the shot, hung a hard right and went into the field across the street.

My son got to use his calls that he got for Christmas, it was a great morning.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    The field I used to hunt is on Houcksville Rd.

I have worked on some houses in Roberts Field and I know what you mean by the large amount of geese using those fields...makes you drool
    Ah man, not the one with all the new houses being built? If that’s the one I’m sad for you, I used to love driving over that way and watching them pitch in over there. Couple other nice fields that way too. I don’t see any more decoy spreads that way, or deer blinds and pickup trucks during deer season. Seems like that whole corridor Houcksville to Carrollton is not being hunted like it was years ago. Cut my teeth in a lot of those woods and fields as a lad. Now my Dad and I can’t even hunt the big farm behind his house on Carrollton.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    My years of goose hunting are few. But, now it seems hard to just ask and hunt a corn field. Most are leased out or owned by anti- hunters. I live real close to Huntingfields on falls rd. They have a crap ton of geese but the owner hunts it. Not that often at that. He's a bit of a tool to boot.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Ah man, not the one with all the new houses being built? If that’s the one I’m sad for you, I used to love driving over that way and watching them pitch in over there. Couple other nice fields that way too. I don’t see any more decoy spreads that way, or deer blinds and pickup trucks during deer season. Seems like that whole corridor Houcksville to Carrollton is not being hunted like it was years ago. Cut my teeth in a lot of those woods and fields as a lad. Now my Dad and I can’t even hunt the big farm behind his house on Carrollton.

Yep, it is getting harder and harder to find places to hunt. Seems like houses are going up everywhere. Saw it happen in MoCo, HoCo, and Washington County. Just really sad all this "progress" we are making. Trying to figure out where I can retire to that is a waterfowling heaven.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md

Not where the houses were built,but very close to that.The field I was in,is back a long driveway.You can only see a small part of it from Houcksville.

I talked to one of the guys that lease the property and they dont hunt waterfowl.So....you can still be sad for me....lol

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Its getting harder out here too. More doctors buy farms and not wanting hunting and more people getting horses. :rolleyes: We had a horse and I have friends that are ropers, but most horse people are F'ing crazy and baby their 1200# babies.

More pressure has been placed on geese with Duck Dynasty and more newbies got into it and they shoot big flocks and educate the birds very quickly. Resident birds learn very quickly which farms are no hunting/pressure zones and stay there eating grass if they can.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Some pics of some of our hunts, we went to the tred avon river on that cold snap. Got into some cans and mallard, next went to our spot on the choptank below denton and got into mallards and geese last week(no pics), last we have been going down to our spot next to blackwater, last saturday we got some black ducks, gadwalls, and widgeon, mallards didn't want anything to do with us. today we went back to Black water and got a couple of black ducks, blue wing teal, and a few green wing teal. Saw some large flocks of teal and a few large flocks of mallards but again they wanted nothing to do with us. The new fully flocked black duct decoys look awesome.

Our club bought a used argo and it was great, before it took us 30 minutes to walk out to our spot now it takes 3.

Attachments

• duck hopkins 1.jpg
      duck hopkins 1.jpg
      40.7 KB · Views: 116
    • duck hopkins 2.jpg
      duck hopkins 2.jpg
      128.8 KB · Views: 111
    • duck crapo 1.jpg
      duck crapo 1.jpg
      116.1 KB · Views: 108
    • duck crapo 2.jpg
      duck crapo 2.jpg
      118.8 KB · Views: 121
    • argo.jpg
      argo.jpg
      111.3 KB · Views: 114
    • duck denton.jpg
      duck denton.jpg
      78.2 KB · Views: 138

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Some pics of some of our hunts, we went to the tred avon river on that cold snap. Got into some cans and mallard, next went to our spot on the choptank below denton and got into mallards and geese last week(no pics), last we have been going down to our spot next to blackwater, last saturday we got some black ducks, gadwalls, and widgeon, mallards didn't want anything to do with us. today we went back to Black water and got a couple of black ducks, blue wing teal, and a few green wing teal. Saw some large flocks of teal and a few large flocks of mallards but again they wanted nothing to do with us. The new fully flocked black duct decoys look awesome.

Our club bought a used argo and it was great, before it took us 30 minutes to walk out to our spot now it takes 3.

Awesome Hunt, and beautiful birds.

I want to hunt where you guys hunt!:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom