• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    If you have a wood lathe you can turn it into a 36" wide drum sander,just a thought as I've seen this done before. I had issue years ago wanted to run it through mill at local lumber co.when they still existed. They weren't keen on the idea. Good luck

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I've been woodworking for 30 + years. Clamp the boards together loosely then use clamping cauls to keep the boards aligned. Once the cauls are on then clamp from side to side. Give it about 45 minutes and scrape the squeezed out glue with a stiff paint scraper. The glue should be skinned over but not hard. Once the glue is cleaned up let it dry overnight and use a card scraper and/or a cabinet scraper to clean up the joints. Sand with 180 then 220 grit with a random orbit sander or instead fo sanding use a #4 Stanley plane to finish cleaning up the surface.
    You'll save a lot of time and aggravation using the cauls and cleaning the squeeze-out BEFORE it dries.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    No one (in their right mind) will put that through a machine that is theirs until you get the glue blobs off the surface, prolly with a belt sander. Chunks of solid glue are hard on knives. Good luck on your project, though. Got a 23 inch wide project of my own in the works. Please post what you find out.

So my 23-inch wide project is almost ready for a wide belt sander, but I didn't see any hits in this thread except the somewhat intriguing floor sander idea. Foundery is $50 + $20. Not needing continued access to their tools, I'd prefer not to drive there twice. I'd much rather just pay and be done. Job is 2-inch thick teak, call it 77" long. Will be cleaned-up and ready to see the tools of a professional when I arrive.

Anyone have, or know anyone with access to, a wide belt sander?

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    So my 23-inch wide project is almost ready for a wide belt sander, but I didn't see any hits in this thread except the somewhat intriguing floor sander idea. Foundery is $50 + $20. Not needing continued access to their tools, I'd prefer not to drive there twice. I'd much rather just pay and be done. Job is 2-inch thick teak, call it 77" long. Will be cleaned-up and ready to see the tools of a professional when I arrive.

Anyone have, or know anyone with access to, a wide belt sander?

What area are you in? If close to shop I might be able to run it through a 24" drum sander. Will depend on where the wood came from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom