• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Hendershot's is pulling the plug on their Hagerstown retail store and range, and moving back to Hancock from whence they came. The email (today) to customers doesn't get into too many details, but they've stopped charging for monthly range memberships. People with pending transactions can make pickup arrangements. The Frederick-area ranges will certainly get a few more customers.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Never had the chance to stop in their Hagerstown store but loved the old store in Hancock. Had that old time feel to it and was wall to wall guns.

We used to stop there all the time on our way through from WV.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I saw that email to make's wonder why , They sunk a bunch of money in that range with backstops and air handler and it doesn't sound like the new place will have a range .
    It's been years since I was in Hancock but it was a dead town then I don't know if it still is ,

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sounds like a possible location for Gym Ratz’s second location! Good access right off of route 40 and I70. Not a bad shop, seems like one third supplies, one third long guns and one third handguns. Plus the indoor range. Wonder if the pit barbecue wagon comes with it?

cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    While they're moving maybe they should just go into Wv. With all the crazy gun law proposals here in Md. it would seem to be a better choice

I was in there last week and they didn't mention anything. I talked for a good 10 minutes to the guys working there and no one mentioned moving back. Odd...Hancock is probably more of a gun friendly location but it's kind of dead and there isn't a lot of street traffic..

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    I actually stopped in the store for the first time today on my way home from WV. I spoke with the guys for a little while and neither one mentioned anything about the move. It looked like a really nice building and I didn't even look at the range.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I've never been to their Hagerstown location but always enjoyed their place in Hancock...as already said...wall-to-wall guns. I was told they had about 20% more in the back they had no floor or counter space for. They also got manufacturer reps in on special days and they would make deals for you even better than the Hendershot's people would.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I was never sure of the business partners that came in while in Hancock and ultimately caused the new store to be built. This seems very strange and I wonder if the new partners haven't bailed out leaving the original family to move back to Hancock. I have been going to Hancock for over thirty years, very sad how dead it is now. Many years ago it was fairly active with Park N Dine, the Orchard, Sandy's and Hendershots. Last time I was there in November, even the town Bar on Main street had closed. If the business model goes back to the way it used to be I would start visiting again if just for old time sakes.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I remember they held my Beretta for 57 days in 2013 when they could have released it after seven. Never bought anything else from them and am not going to miss them.

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    I really enjoyed visiting the old store in Hancock with all the guns, gear, clothing, etc. Was very disappointed with the new store as it seemed to cater to high end arms. I wish them luck. Lets see what the future brings.

Teflon

Aug 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Wow, sad to see them go. Never went to their location in Hancock and probably never will. They have a beautiful building in a great spot in Hagerstown, surprised they're leaving. Bought several things from them and even took a class at their range...RIP I guess.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I really enjoyed visiting the old store in Hancock with all the guns, gear, clothing, etc. Was very disappointed with the new store as it seemed to cater to high end arms. I wish them luck. Lets see what the future brings.

Same here. I loved the old-time charm of the former storefront in Hancock. The Hagerstown store seems much more sterile. And I agree, it caters to REALLY high-end arms. I can't think of a store I've ever visited that had a bigger selection of multi-thousand dollar guns. They must have cornered the market for hunters heading out on safari, or wealthy collectors who absolutely have to own such firearms.

JoeR

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The later years in Hancock they had increasing numbers of the high end firearms . It just with the huge numbers of " regular " new, used, and vintage firearms , the high roller guns didn't dominate the total vibe . In H'town , the high roller selections aren't much larger in absolute numbers , but with the greatly reduced numbers of mainstream guns, the percentage is much larger .

89BSP

Jun 12, 2013
    Allegany County
    I remember they held my Beretta for 57 days in 2013 when they could have released it after seven. Never bought anything else from them and am not going to miss them.

I did my transfers thought them back in 2013 just because they were doing the 7 day release period, unlike some other store in Cresaptown MD (closed, but since reopened with better management and a new name) that held my AR for over 5 months.

They were one of the few in Western MD that were doing 7 day releases.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I did my transfers thought them back in 2013 just because they were doing the 7 day release period, unlike some other store in Cresaptown MD (closed, but since reopened with better management and a new name) that held my AR for over 5 months.

They were one of the few in Western MD that were doing 7 day releases.

I remember it took 57 days before they released mine. Maybe they started to release after seven days the closer it got to 10/1/13 . I just know my 92FS was held 50 days longer than it should have been.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I can't imagine why they are leaving? Has to be more to this story. They must have auck nearly $1m easy into that building/ range....why walk away from that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom