• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I shoot with a 28" Rem 870 and a 28" Stoeger O/U. Never less than 20. Still haven't broken more than 24 yet. I have more fun and more money in my pockets for other toys. Why spend it all on a one trick pony? Er, shotgun?

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    It depends on what your utlitmate goal is. If you plan to shoot the occasional round of trap, then get a 30" barrel for your Mossberg and go for it. If you plan to shoot an occasional round of skeet, then get a 28" barrel for the Mossberg and go for it.

Once you decide which sport really trips your trigger, you can then make the choice on what brand and type of shotgun to get next. Yes, you could buy a "B" gun, or an SKB, Perrazzi, Kolar, Kreighoff, Silver Seitz...but those are all bigger commitments...

The thing to remember is a field gun is not a trap / skeet gun. Field guns are meant to be carried a lot and shot a little. Trap / skeet guns are meant to be carried a little and shot a lot. Field guns shoot flat. Trap guns shoot high.

Eventually, you will want a target gun if you plan to shoot competitively. Your field gun (and your shoulder) will not take the pounding of repeated rounds of trap. Fit of a target gun is important. Try many.

Since you are in Frederick, come to the Mt Airy IWLA on any Thursday evening and shoot public trap. We have a bunch of guys who shoot ATA and would be glad to let you try a number of different guns (all mentioned above). Good luck and have fun. Clay sports are addictive. Something about those reactive targets.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Mornin -

I'm working my way back into the shooting sports, in no small part due to a recent company event which included a couple turns behind the trigger shooting clays -- had a BLAST....

I have a Moss 500 with a short barrel bought back in the early 90s as a home defense gun and know that it can take a 28" barrel too. Just don't know if the $$ for the 28" barrel would be better served in spending on another shotgun which would be a better option for trap/skeet/sporting clays.

Given that both my birthday and christmas are approaching, I'm looking for suggestions on what "features" i should look for in a shotgun which can split duty between trap/skeet/sporting clays and some (not much) hunting or confirmation that the Moss w/28" be fine.

Will the 28" barrel on the Mossberg get me out of the gates or will I want an autoloader/over-under?

I am also looking for places to shoot. I live out in the Frederick area and know that the AGC has a trap range (and public trap on Sundays). Are there other public options available?

Really keen on trying to get this issue sorted before the Loch Raven Charity event next weekend if possible.

Thanks in advance for the advice/guidance and opinions.

AGC has public Trap
    Sunday afternoons from 12:00PM until 4:00PM
    Wednesday evenings from 6:00PM until 9:00PM
    Saturday afternoons from 12:00PM until 4:00PM

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    one of the B's being Benelli or Berretta ? Those are some SWEET looking Shotguns, but lots more $$ than a spare/extra barrel.... Might just well start with another barrel for the Moss and see how much i like the sport. Given the economy and all the other budget items, it will be a hard sell for me to spend 1K+ on a shotgun (not that I wouldn't want to....)

anyone know if Loch Raven has limits on the ammo used? AGC limits to 3 Dram Equiv, shot size between 7.5 and 9 and no more than 1200 FPS.

Same at Loch Raven. Why would you shoot anything more than that?

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    HAHA beat you to the punch....nothing wrong with a 500......but I'd be willing to shoot against anyone on here with my Beretta....so how about a round of trap/skeet and sporting then total the score???? Anyone game????

Hmmm. I may take you up on that too. I shoot the B also, but you'll have to wait until i get my gun back from Jack Bart. I am having the LOP changed, a mid bead and an adjustable comb put on.

Attachments

• SP5small.jpg
      SP5small.jpg
      39 KB · Views: 167

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    buy once, cry once!

i was in the same situation as you... but i ended up getting a steal on a beretta urika 2 on gun broker... double the price... but i wont have to upgrade for a long time!

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I have a 34" BT-99 with adjustable comb that is freakin' awesome for trap - but, it's a one-trick pony. If you get into trap though, I don't see how one could possibly improve upon the gun until you get into serious competition.

RetNavyHD

Dec 7, 2008
    North East, MD
    Hmmm. I may take you up on that too. I shoot the B also, but you'll have to wait until i get my gun back from Jack Bart. I am having the LOP changed, a mid bead and an adjustable comb put on.

HAHA bring it!! I understand the LOP/Comb but a mid bead? what is that for out of curiosity.....been shooting clays for a while and never heard someone do that.

RetNavyHD

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    HAHA bring it!! I understand the LOP/Comb but a mid bead? what is that for out of curiosity.....been shooting clays for a while and never heard someone do that.

RetNavyHD

Mid-bead allows you to "stack" the beads to check your alignment / POA just prior to calling for the target. Stack-em and see a figure 8, call pull...

RetNavyHD

Dec 7, 2008
    North East, MD
    Mid-bead allows you to "stack" the beads to check your alignment / POA just prior to calling for the target. Stack-em and see a figure 8, call pull...

Was curious....not sure why you would want it been playing this clay game for a long time.....I never see my bead...if your worrying about stacking the beads your not focusing on the target...seems like some hype just like the hi-viz sights!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

Yeah, helps me with my eye alignment with the rib as I'm a two-eye shooter. Then once I'm aligned, focus on the top of the trap house and "Pull."
    Also helps with Skeet. The upper level Beretta 68x guns have the mid bead, the Silver Pigeon I does not. So in a sense I am upgrading my 686 to a 687 with comb for a lot less money than the 687EEL.

I am still going back and forth between a sporting gun and a parallel target trap gun. Probably should just pick one gun and stick with it for everything. I was shooting high today with the trap gun as I need to float the target over the barrel with that, yet need to cover the target with the other.

10 flats from now I may make up my mind which gun I like the most. Decisions decisions. 100 flats from now I probably won't need the mid bead.

ps: Where do you shoot?

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    Yeah, helps me with my eye alignment with the rib as I'm a two-eye shooter. Then once I'm aligned, focus on the top of the trap house and "Pull."

I'm a two-eyed shooter as well. Helps me get my dominant eye set.

ps: Where do you shoot?[/QUOTE]

All over. ATA shoots at a bunch of different clubs. Home club is Mt. Airy IWLA. I thought golf was an expensive sport...Then I started with trap. DAMN. 350 targets last Sunday. Whoa!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    All over. ATA shoots at a bunch of different clubs. Home club is Mt. Airy IWLA. I thought golf was an expensive sport...Then I started with trap. DAMN. 350 targets last Sunday. Whoa!

The guys were talking just today about how Mt. Airy is the most difficult club to shoot for those not familiar with it. Something about the background. I've never been there.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Thank you all for the opinions, suggestions and comments....

I'll try to get to MtAiry IWL next week for open trap on Thursday.

I've got a lot to learn and I appreciate the offers and suggestions. Thanks again..

Nov 2, 2010
    Waldorf, MD
    I agree with others, you can shoot just fine with a pump with screw in chokes. However if you want to be competitive pick up a used semi-auto from Beretta like a 3901 or a 391. You can shoot just fine with the pump, but you are putting yourself in a handicap using a pump for doubles. If it is just for fun and you dont care about scores, use what you got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom