• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    The problem in Harford County is that the junkies will go on road trips from Edgewood and Aberdeen and break into houses in other parts of the county. Lots of the B&E's that I know about happen during the daytime when they expect you to be out earning money so that you can be taxed, and thus redistribute some money back to them.

Clear shrubbery from close to the house so they have no where to hide. Put up no tresspassing signs. Leave a car in the driveway instead of the garage. Make the house look occupied. I have, for friends on vacations, made dummies and stuck them in people's houses to make it look like someone was there. Dogs are helpful, especially big ones. Also, they like to hit houses that they can approach undetected, like from the woods. Clear out areas to make it hard to approach unseen. Leave radios on a timer, and put them on talk radio stations to make it sound like someone is inside. Lastly, when I see suspicious cars driving around, I have been known to walk outside with an AK or other EBR (not pointing it or acting threatening) just to be noticed.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    My brother walked in on his house being robbed on the 5th after coming home from my rehearsal dinner in Annapolis. He lives in Balt County. When he walked into the house he noticed all of his electronic equipment sitting in the stairway. He walked up the steps and someone hit him in the face with something, broke his jaw, and ran out of the house.

They later found the two pieces of scum robbing another house. They admitted to hitting my brother and robbing one other house. They had no priors so they will most likely get a slap on the wrist.

My brother made it to my wedding the next day broken jaw and all. Luckily he does not need surgery.

What makes it all worse is that he's afraid to stay in the house he just purchased.

Get that man a SBS for xmas and he'll feel alittle better about staying in his home. F*ing scum needs to get their Balls shot off!!!

super_shorty_870.jpg

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    My brother walked in on his house being robbed on the 5th after coming home from my rehearsal dinner in Annapolis. He lives in Balt County. When he walked into the house he noticed all of his electronic equipment sitting in the stairway. He walked up the steps and someone hit him in the face with something, broke his jaw, and ran out of the house.

They later found the two pieces of scum robbing another house. They admitted to hitting my brother and robbing one other house. They had no priors so they will most likely get a slap on the wrist.

My brother made it to my wedding the next day broken jaw and all. Luckily he does not need surgery.

What makes it all worse is that he's afraid to stay in the house he just purchased.

Its things like this that could have been solved by concealed carry. Having a gun in the house isnt going to protect you from being ambushed coming in the door. In fact, it would almost be more of a liability, the intruders may be armed with YOUR guns when you come home.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD

That straight up sucks! I'm glad he was not hurt worse, and hopefully the dirt bags do get time :mad54:

runswscissors

Jul 11, 2008
    Harford County
    That sucks about running into an intruder! I can't even imagine. I'd probably be afraid too. There's nothing worse than not feeling safe in your own home.

Just this year I've started planning remodels and projects around home security. I like the idea of cameras and a security system, but I can't swallow the monthly fees for the security system. And I'm not good enough with electronics and computers to set up the cameras (I'd prefer wired instead of wireless).

Here's some of the great ideas I've run into though:
    -Motion lights outside AND inside. I prefer lights outside all night, not just motion lights. Some have set up a motion light or two INSIDE the house around the area of motion outside the house. Kinda like the homeowner is turning on a light inside because they heard something outside.

-A solid front door and windows around the door that aren't big enough for someone to get thru if broken. We just replaced our entry way and got 1/3 window panes. Our old side windows were big enough that I could have broken them and side-stepped thru (and I'm not small).

-Window Film that's break resistant. The cheap stuff can hold the glass together even after several blows from a bat. The expensive stuff can actually hold back small arms fire (don't know about sustained, but at least a few shots)! I believe both are available thru D & L Tinting (Parkville? and White Marsh on rt 40). It was a little too expensive for my tastes, but might be revisited in a few months. I figure you'd only need it on the lower level windows. IIRC, the company has to install it though - no DIY.

-Good lock set. I shelled out and bought a good set thru Easter Lock and Key. The set actually cost more than my new front door. But, if the hype is true, it's actually stronger than my front door. I'm also looking into re-enforcing my door jam).

-Additional locks/jams for sliding glass doors. From what I've been told, sliding glass doors are very easy to pry open. Having a bar or something that just "sits" in place goes a long way. We've got a foot lock at the bottom. I'm told for it to be effective, you need one at the top AND bottom.

-Front door camera instead of peep hole. This is my own idea, so it might be total crap. But I'd love to have a camera on our front door so I can tune the closest TV to that input and see who's at my door without walking over to it. Maybe I'm just lazy...

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    That sucks about running into an intruder! I can't even imagine. I'd probably be afraid too. There's nothing worse than not feeling safe in your own home.

Just this year I've started planning remodels and projects around home security. I like the idea of cameras and a security system, but I can't swallow the monthly fees for the security system. And I'm not good enough with electronics and computers to set up the cameras (I'd prefer wired instead of wireless).

Here's some of the great ideas I've run into though:
    -Motion lights outside AND inside. I prefer lights outside all night, not just motion lights. Some have set up a motion light or two INSIDE the house around the area of motion outside the house. Kinda like the homeowner is turning on a light inside because they heard something outside.

-A solid front door and windows around the door that aren't big enough for someone to get thru if broken. We just replaced our entry way and got 1/3 window panes. Our old side windows were big enough that I could have broken them and side-stepped thru (and I'm not small).

-Window Film that's break resistant. The cheap stuff can hold the glass together even after several blows from a bat. The expensive stuff can actually hold back small arms fire (don't know about sustained, but at least a few shots)! I believe both are available thru D & L Tinting (Parkville? and White Marsh on rt 40). It was a little too expensive for my tastes, but might be revisited in a few months. I figure you'd only need it on the lower level windows. IIRC, the company has to install it though - no DIY.

-Good lock set. I shelled out and bought a good set thru Easter Lock and Key. The set actually cost more than my new front door. But, if the hype is true, it's actually stronger than my front door. I'm also looking into re-enforcing my door jam).

-Additional locks/jams for sliding glass doors. From what I've been told, sliding glass doors are very easy to pry open. Having a bar or something that just "sits" in place goes a long way. We've got a foot lock at the bottom. I'm told for it to be effective, you need one at the top AND bottom.

-Front door camera instead of peep hole. This is my own idea, so it might be total crap. But I'd love to have a camera on our front door so I can tune the closest TV to that input and see who's at my door without walking over to it. Maybe I'm just lazy...

Where do you live? Detroit?:cool:

runswscissors

Jul 11, 2008
    Harford County
    Used to live in Rosedale. Maybe that's why I'm like that.

I'm not saying I have all that stuff. I'd just like to have all that stuff. After spending $500 on a lock set for a $400 door, my contractor made me very aware of all the other "weak" spots in my house (like the sliding glass doors).

I told him I was more concerned about the people that come thru the front door! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom