• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    I got home last night about 6:30 about a half hour after my wife who never made it past the living room. After saying our hellos, I went into the kitchen to start making dinner, and she soon followed. She happened to look out the kitchen window, and noticed that the screen was halfway up, and asked me if I had opened it. I told her I hadn't, and she proceeded to tell me that when she was watching the squirrels with my little girl on sunday, she distinctly remembers the screen not being up.

For those of you who don't know, I live in a small quiet community in an out of the way area of harford county.

Anyway, She was concerned that someone may have tried to get into the house. I checked the inside, and nothing was missing/out of place, so I went out back, being careful to stay away from the window area, and checked the shop. I came in and called the HCSD, and had a deputy respond. He did some checking, and found some hand prints on the window where someone had pressed their hands against it to try to lift it, and was able to lift the prints. He was a very nice and professional gentleman, and I plan on calling the Sheriff's office tomorrow to leave feedback for him. As an aside, he just returned from a tour in Iraq, and I thanked him for his service.

Well......Now for the decisions. My wife and I have been kicking around getting a security system, and this has helped us make up our minds. We'll be getting on that as soon as the holidays are wrapped up. Does anyone here have any recommendations? What kind of installation fee/monitoring fee can I expect? I have a 3 bed split level. I was already planning on purchasing a new safe as I've grossly outgrown what I have. That was already going to happen as soon as taxes come in this year...

One thing that this has taught me is that security is a multi fasceted thing. You can have all the home defence weapons in the world, but if you're not at home to use them, they're useless.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Glad everyone is safe. Let us know as this develops please.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I have Vector Security....I pay a small monthly fee but its worth the peace of mind. CHeck your weekend paper for coupons for free install and systems. I pay $32/mo. They've been very good, the system has changed hands int he 10 yrs I've had them but I'm very happy.

ADT is also a good one...seen them on TV

ke3gk

HAM from U.N.C.L.E.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    Funny you should mention this ... My home was burgled yesterday - they got away with 2 laptops and some jewelry, leather jacket, watch ... I'm still not sure how they got in and AACo didn't know either ... maybe I left the door open or these guys were pros ...

They didn't find the guns (thank god), and they left obvious goodies, I guess they didn't have time to go through everything. They did yank my safe out which contained all my credit cards - I've been having fun with that - filing the equifax fraud alert, running my credit and getting a list of all my creditors, then calling them and closing accounts etc. The perps opened that safe like it was nothing and had already charged up at target, sears and JC penneys before the credit card company denied the last charge because it was looking suspicious.

Anyway, I have ordered ADT, and I'm going to check a local security company here just to check the competition.

This place is going to be fort knox now.

I'm afraid we are going to see more of this as people lose jobs and the economy worsens.

Last edited:

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    All IMO are about the same just look for a good deal some give free with certian subscriptions. I use ADT no problems with them but never needed them so can't really give my full eval. The biggest thing is an alarm will not help you if you don't use it. I know more than half of the people in my neighborhood don't set their alarms regularly. Mine is set even if i'm out for 10min.

Some things I don't like:
    1. They wait 60seconds to call if alarm is sounded. If I'm home and its a B&E 60seconds is a life time to wait
    2. You must have a land line and cannot have VOIP or internet phone

Some things I wish I did:
    1. Window contacts on all windows... I went cheap and had them put 2 motion detectors at both steps to my home so my family was protected but my entire house is not covered by these 2 detectors
    2. More motion detectors (I have a dog that kept setting the alarm off so I had to get special ones that don't recognize anything under 100lbs)

I'm glad you are ok HarCo is becomming like freaking Baltimore City!

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    All IMO are about the same just look for a good deal some give free with certian subscriptions. I use ADT no problems with them but never needed them so can't really give my full eval. The biggest thing is an alarm will not help you if you don't use it. I know more than half of the people in my neighborhood don't set their alarms regularly. Mine is set even if i'm out for 10min.

Some things I don't like:
    1. They wait 60seconds to call if alarm is sounded. If I'm home and its a B&E 60seconds is a life time to wait
    2. You must have a land line and cannot have VOIP or internet phone

Some things I wish I did:
    1. Window contacts on all windows... I went cheap and had them put 2 motion detectors at both steps to my home so my family was protected but my entire house is not covered by these 2 detectors
    2. More motion detectors (I have a dog that kept setting the alarm off so I had to get special ones that don't recognize anything under 100lbs)

I'm glad you are ok HarCo is becomming like freaking Baltimore City!

Maui, how are those dog-proof motion sensors working for you? I have a hefty lab mix that's 90-100 pounds, always wanted to get some feedback on those types of sensors.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Maui, how are those dog-proof motion sensors working for you? I have a hefty lab mix that's 90-100 pounds, always wanted to get some feedback on those types of sensors.

It works well no more false alarms but the only thing is they are sensitive to 100 or more lbs.... you may need a different one if your dog is that big.
    my dog is about 25lbs
    yeah I know most burglers are going to be more than that but my wife is about 105lbs soaking wet and she doesn't set it off until she's about 5-7 feet away.

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    This morning I spotted a surringe laying in the parking lot in front of my house. Contacted Authorities, a HCDS responded, claimed it was one that are used regularly by Diabetics but not to say a junkie couldn't. He removed it to a special desposal container in the trunk of his Cruiser.

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    I got home last night about 6:30 about a half hour after my wife who never made it past the living room. After saying our hellos, I went into the kitchen to start making dinner, and she soon followed. She happened to look out the kitchen window, and noticed that the screen was halfway up, and asked me if I had opened it. I told her I hadn't, and she proceeded to tell me that when she was watching the squirrels with my little girl on sunday, she distinctly remembers the screen not being up.

For those of you who don't know, I live in a small quiet community in an out of the way area of harford county.

Anyway, She was concerned that someone may have tried to get into the house. I checked the inside, and nothing was missing/out of place, so I went out back, being careful to stay away from the window area, and checked the shop. I came in and called the HCSD, and had a deputy respond. He did some checking, and found some hand prints on the window where someone had pressed their hands against it to try to lift it, and was able to lift the prints. He was a very nice and professional gentleman, and I plan on calling the Sheriff's office tomorrow to leave feedback for him. As an aside, he just returned from a tour in Iraq, and I thanked him for his service.

Well......Now for the decisions. My wife and I have been kicking around getting a security system, and this has helped us make up our minds. We'll be getting on that as soon as the holidays are wrapped up. Does anyone here have any recommendations? What kind of installation fee/monitoring fee can I expect? I have a 3 bed split level. I was already planning on purchasing a new safe as I've grossly outgrown what I have. That was already going to happen as soon as taxes come in this year...

One thing that this has taught me is that security is a multi fasceted thing. You can have all the home defence weapons in the world, but if you're not at home to use them, they're useless.

You need a German Shepherd and an alarm system. GSD bark if someone passes gas outside. You can check around to see which place gives the best deals and even get one with closed circuit cameras. Monthly cost should be around 30-40 dollars. The yard should be fenced and no trespassing signs should be placed on the property.

Dst

Jan 29, 2008
    Cary, NC

They didn't find the guns (thank god), and they left obvious goodies, I guess they didn't have time to go through everything.

There's not enough information here for me to assume that either of you don't have one, but these quotes remind me that it's important to get a good gun safe, and to be sure that all of the guns in the house are either locked up or on someone's person. The last thing I want is having my gun(s) contributing to the stigma against guns and gun owners by being used in a crime.

Also, I'm sorry you got robbed, man. That's never a happy feeling.

This morning I spotted a surringe laying in the parking lot in front of my house. Contacted Authorities, a HCDS responded, claimed it was one that are used regularly by Diabetics but not to say a junkie couldn't. He removed it to a special desposal container in the trunk of his Cruiser.

Syringe, maybe? Chances are pretty good that the "special desposal container" was a sharps trash box.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

Last time i went to the pharmacy to pick up "junkie" syringes they were all out, all they had were "diabetic" syringes. ;) Diabetics are usually pretty careful about putting their stuff in the trash.

As far as home security goes:
    1. Lights, motion and dusk/dawn. If your motion lights come on you have good reason to believe someone is outside.

2. Dogs, loud or mean or big. Take your pick. Ankle biters will make alot of noise early, big dogs can back you up. Personally, dogs dont scare me, so i always assume they dont scare anyone else.

3. Alarm, whatever you can afford. A couple motion sensors and a loud siren might be all you need. Make sure the motion detectors cover the areas of the doors and traffic. You can usually place them to cover a door and a hall/stairs/living room ect.

4. Camera. $20 gets you a usb webcam, you can download software that will automatically record any motion the camera sees. Works pretty well and is the bare minimum i recommend. Wireless nightvision to a seperate vaulted hardrive would be ideal. This is the only way you can catch someone if a breakin happens while you are away.

5. If you have been burgularized, change your locks, make sure all your car keys are present and accounted for. Hit the pawn shops, good chance you might find some of your stuff. I've been present in pawn shops multiple times, when an owner or detective has found stolen property. Flea markets too. Its important to record your serial numbers on all expensive items, guns, computers, tvs, tools, gps, ipods. Thats the only way to prove ownership. Never store personal information on a computer or laptop.

6. Safes. Right after new years, walmart's gun safes go on sale, and keep getting discounted until they sell out.

In harford county, the big theft items are #1 ATV's, #2 tools, #3 car electronics(gps,ipod,radio&systems). Secure these items, record their serials, and dont advertise them to the world. Lock your windows and doors and shed and cars everytime, all the time.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    It definitely seems like HarCo's going down the crapper. Last weekend my lab was lounging at the rear door (full glass) and saw my brother approach, she didnt even stand up or bark until ~15 seconds after he enthusiastically knocked, I think I need another dog...

Hart-Attack

Nov 20, 2008
    Fallston, MD
    our neighbor told my wife that someone 'broke' into her boyfriends truck over the weekend. his truck was the only vehicle not locked on their property so that is probably why they were able to take stuff. i'm not sure exactly what was taken as i haven't had a chance to speak with them yet. it does highlight the necessity to enforce the basics, lock your vehicles and secure your premises.

there was another incident in our neighborhood last summer where a few kids were breaking into houses by using the garage door openers in unlocked vehicles. they got into a few houses before one of the homeowners came out with their shotgun and held them until the sheriffs department arrived.

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    My brother walked in on his house being robbed on the 5th after coming home from my rehearsal dinner in Annapolis. He lives in Balt County. When he walked into the house he noticed all of his electronic equipment sitting in the stairway. He walked up the steps and someone hit him in the face with something, broke his jaw, and ran out of the house.

They later found the two pieces of scum robbing another house. They admitted to hitting my brother and robbing one other house. They had no priors so they will most likely get a slap on the wrist.

My brother made it to my wedding the next day broken jaw and all. Luckily he does not need surgery.

What makes it all worse is that he's afraid to stay in the house he just purchased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom