Mid-length gas system, Mid-length ff tube... not made for each other?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    I guess I didn't do enough homework or something. Imagine my surprise when I realize my mid-length YHM ff tube doesn't cover my mid-length gas system? I'm sure there is some explanation for this, but I can't come up with it. Can someone fill me in?

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    A 9" Mid-Length rail is not meant to cover your gas block. It is made to sit right behind it. Usually, 9" rails are installed on mid length systems that utilize the A2 FSB. I'm assuming you have a low profile gas block and you're wanting the rail to completely cover it? If so, depending on how far to want to go past it or how much barrel you want showing then you need to look at rails that are 10-12 inches in length.

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    I believe your barrel length will have a lot to do with it. I am planing to build a Aero Precision COP mid length upper with a 14.5" barrel and a pinned flash suppressor.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I guess I didn't do enough homework or something. Imagine my surprise when I realize my mid-length YHM ff tube doesn't cover my mid-length gas system? I'm sure there is some explanation for this, but I can't come up with it. Can someone fill me in?

Boss, if you need a rifle length YHM rail, I have a spare sitting right here as well.

It's a lightweight model. Not the Diamond series. So you can still use the YHM barrel nut.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I believe your barrel length will have a lot to do with it. I am planing to build a Aero Precision COP mid length upper with a 14.5" barrel and a pinned flash suppressor.

Huh?

The distance of the gas block from the receiver isn't going to change whether it's a mid length 14.5" or 16". Did you know trees grow from the top, not the bottom? ;)

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Boss, if you need a rifle length YHM rail, I have a spare sitting right here as well.

It's a lightweight model. Not the Diamond series. So you can still use the YHM barrel nut.

The lightweight is what I have. You looking for a mid length?;)

A 9" Mid-Length rail is not meant to cover your gas block. It is made to sit right behind it. Usually, 9" rails are installed on mid length systems that utilize the A2 FSB.

After looking at it angrily for a couple minutes I kinda figured this was the case, guess I should have looked at more gun pics before I bought.:sad20:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Did you know trees grow from the top, not the bottom? ;)

LOL. But your second "fact" isn't entirely true. Trees grow along their whole length, just like people;) My brother sideswiped the family E150 van w/ a large pine when he was ~3 and left a huge scar (popped the E-brake off on our steep driveway.) Before the the tree fell 20 something years later the scar was above the 2nd story deck of the house. The tree that finally stopped his forward motion had a similar situation. But the one beside the deck was always a funny reminder of his first driving experience.

drewhall

May 29, 2009
    Maryland
    What he is saying is the barrel length does not dictate the gas system length. But yes I was going to order a 9" for my 14.5 middy, then realized after some measurements it would be too short and decided 12-13 is where I want to be.

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville

You would have to do some minor surgery if using that exact upper. You would either have to disassemble the barrel to remove the FSB, front handguard cap, and delta ring assembly...or you could cut down the FSB, cut the front handguard cap and remove, and cut and remove the delta ring assembly. It would look something like this:

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    You would have to do some minor surgery if using that exact upper. You would either have to disassemble the barrel to remove the FSB, front handguard cap, and delta ring assembly...or you could cut down the FSB, cut the front handguard cap and remove, and cut and remove the delta ring assembly. It would look something like this:

yes this is the exact look I had in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom