• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    ... but it's not what you think :)

This is a pretty slick piece, a very early Model 52 "no dash" circa 1962. These were designed purely as a target pistol, based on the Model 39 and chambered for the .38 Special Mid-Range (full wadcutter) round. The double-action was disabled via a set screw in the frame on these early models. The trigger is awesome, very light and crisp. I'm a 1911 fanboy but this feels pretty darn good in hand. Fit and finish is superb, the pics don't do the high-polish finish justice.

Like it's counter-part, the Colt National Match .38 Special Mid-Range, these have a 5-shot magazine. And like the Colt, the damn mags are hugely expensive. Interesting to compare how Colt and S&W dealt with feed issues, Colt had a lot of problems at first, and even suspended production while working them out.

The gun is pricey too but is still under-valued compared to the Colt (and particularly for what it is) - the National Match typically commands $500-1000 more from what I can tell. Production of the no-dash was late 1961-1963 with approximately 3500 made, starting with S/N 50000. Upgrades included the 52-1 and then the 52-2, which was in production up into the 1990's.

Anyway this comes out of the same collection as the Kimball - a pretty famous guy that wishes to remain anonymous.

Attachments

• DSC_1169.jpg
      DSC_1169.jpg
      122.4 KB · Views: 293
    • DSC_1174.jpg
      DSC_1174.jpg
      94.1 KB · Views: 289
    • DSC_1178.jpg
      DSC_1178.jpg
      81.9 KB · Views: 299
    • DSC_1179.jpg
      DSC_1179.jpg
      35.6 KB · Views: 283
    • DSC_1180.jpg
      DSC_1180.jpg
      58.8 KB · Views: 278
    • DSC_1184.jpg
      DSC_1184.jpg
      50.3 KB · Views: 285
    • DSC_1187.jpg
      DSC_1187.jpg
      108.8 KB · Views: 281

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Always wanted one, but so pricey . . . not to say hard to find.

Gorgeous pistol.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    You beat me to the punch on this one. Have always had an itch for a 52 but I've always been either cash strapped or focused on something else when they've pop'd up. By all accounts a well made instrument. Their popularity has helped keep prices solid for decades now, never seen one sell on the cheap. But if you compare them to a Gold Cup they are a bargain, certainly a different way to look at them.

Jul 1, 2012
    You beat me to the punch on this one. Have always had an itch for a 52 but I've always been either cash strapped or focused on something else when they've pop'd up. By all accounts a well made instrument. Their popularity has helped keep prices solid for decades now, never seen one sell on the cheap. But if you compare them to a Gold Cup they are a bargain, certainly a different way to look at them.

Yeah compared to a "true" National Match (pre-70) these are definitely under-priced for what they are, essentially a custom-level target pistol.

For a shooter, the consensus seems to be the Model 52-2 as it solved a couple of issues, like the locked-out double action replaced with true single action (introduced on 52-1) and addressing the problematic extractor. The early guns seem to be used hard so finding a nice one is more difficult. They made a lot of 52-2's so that's what you mostly see out there. The 52-2 was introduced in 1971 (?) so it won't be C&R though.

Pretty good article on them:
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/handguns/handgun_reviews_st_swmodel5238_200906/

from that:
    The bore was mirror-bright, and the trigger pull was without a doubt one of the lightest, crispest triggers I have ever felt on a pistol in my entire 30 years of hand-gunning.

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    I have a 52 no dash. It has had a lot of rounds through it. It shoots so well...Makes me look good at the range. My only regret is not buying one sooner.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Most of the people who bought M52's , at least in the early days , were probably serious Bullseye competitors who bought them on purpose for match shooting, hence put them to their intended use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom