• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    LEO friend has a friend trying to buy one. Apparently it’s regulated by the FDA. This is not my ballpark. Can someone explain why and what the laws are so i can point him in the proper lawful direction.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Hope this helps some.

https://tnvc.com/faq/

Question: Why can’t civilians buy IR Lasers?
    Answer: All IR Lasers are controlled by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and are classified as Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B Medical/Industrial Lasers. Class IIIb and IEC Class 3B Lasers emit between 5 and 500 mW output power. IR Lasers can only be viewed through Image Intensifier Night Vision technology and are invisible to the naked eye. Because of this, and the high power in which they operate, IR lasers can cause significant damage to eyes if exposed. Human and animal eyes have a natural aversion to bright light. When exposed, the natural reaction is to shut or avert the eyes. Because IR lasers are invisible to naked eyes, there is no reflexive response to look away or shut them. This means exposure can take place without the victim even knowing it, causing serious damage or permanent blindness. So, it is clear why the sale of these devices is restricted.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    It’s regulated by the FDA due to being a class 3 IR laser the operates below the 850nm range to which the human eye has no blink reflex. The manufacturer Insight technology will not sell to civilians for that reason. I will just throw this out if your friend wants one they are out there to be had but if a problem arose he would never be able to get it serviced. All that being said there are civilian legal models a available now the work almost as well. Have him check out the DBAL2 @ tactical night vision company. Unless he’s illuminating targets out past 500 yds. the hi-power setting on the peq15 creates to much bloom. I have a fair amount of time training with them and after reading the specs on the civie friendly model I think it would fit most IR needs.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Hope this helps some.

https://tnvc.com/faq/

Question: Why can’t civilians buy IR Lasers?
    Answer: All IR Lasers are controlled by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and are classified as Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B Medical/Industrial Lasers. Class IIIb and IEC Class 3B Lasers emit between 5 and 500 mW output power. IR Lasers can only be viewed through Image Intensifier Night Vision technology and are invisible to the naked eye. Because of this, and the high power in which they operate, IR lasers can cause significant damage to eyes if exposed. Human and animal eyes have a natural aversion to bright light. When exposed, the natural reaction is to shut or avert the eyes. Because IR lasers are invisible to naked eyes, there is no reflexive response to look away or shut them. This means exposure can take place without the victim even knowing it, causing serious damage or permanent blindness. So, it is clear why the sale of these devices is restricted.

Fantastic response!!! Thank you!

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Howard County SWAT guys have the PEQ-15s but the are not allowed to remove the limiting screw that allows the hi-power function for any reason. Believe me when I tell you these can be just as dangerous as the loaded gun in the wrong hands.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Fantastic response!!! Thank you!

You’re very welcome. And as stated above, there are civilian legal ones that operate at a different wavelength. I have a DBAL I2 and it’s more than I need. The full power ones are out there but won’t be warrantied by the manufacturer as they don’t sell to individuals. Best of luck to your friend’s friend finding what he’s looking for.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Howard County SWAT guys have the PEQ-15s but the are not allowed to remove the limiting screw that allows the hi-power function for any reason. Believe me when I tell you these can be just as dangerous as the loaded gun in the wrong hands.

You’re absolutely correct! During my flying days in the military, we had to wear the laser visor if we were flying with aircraft that had the targeting laser as they were Class IV. And leadership was very adamant about it.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    You’re absolutely correct! During my flying days in the military, we had to wear the laser visor if we were flying with aircraft that had the targeting laser as they were Class IV. And leadership was very adamant about it.

Same here, I was a ground pounder and command was as adamant of lasers off as empty chambers after FTX.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    LEO friend has a friend trying to buy one. Apparently it’s regulated by the FDA. This is not my ballpark. Can someone explain why and what the laws are so i can point him in the proper lawful direction.

I've got the ATPIAL-C which is the civilian legal version of the PEQ-15. With a current gen PVS-14 by the distance you can't see the targeting laser you also can't ID the target. No reason functionally to get the high powered military version for domestic use other than bragging points. Then there are the safety and liability issues already mentioned.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Even the civilian IR lasers can do damage. I have read of people that have received permanent vision damage by leaving IR Lasers on. The way it was explained to me is the eye does not react to the IR light and it causes damage.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    These things are all over Ebay. The high powered ones are in the $2500-3000 range.

This one comes with all the accessories and manuals! Looks brand new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/L3-Insight-AN-PEQ-15-Advanced-Target-Pointer-Illuminator-Aiming-Laser-HIGH-POWER/273183905212?hash=item3f9b0795bc:g:J6YAAOSw0Pxa5PDb

I wouldn’t advise my worst enemy to buy AR stuff on eBay especially if theyre not an expert. With all the leupod and vortex scopes on “wish” probably making their to eBay

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Even the civilian IR lasers can do damage. I have read of people that have received permanent vision damage by leaving IR Lasers on. The way it was explained to me is the eye does not react to the IR light and it causes damage.

That is correct but it is not instant damage like the military version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom