• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dec 22, 2014
    I have a question for everyone here. Can someone tell me if I can sell my Ruger 10/22 or shotgun to someone from PA, DE, WV, or VA as a face to face transaction?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    As far as I know, no you can't - I'm pretty sure all interstate firearms sales, long gun or handgun, have to go through an FFL. IANAL.

Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    Just to piggy back. Can a customer purchase a long gun from outside their state of residence from an FFL? I thought federal law covered hand guns but did not apply to long guns for interstate purchase.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Yes, you can go to another state and buy a rifle that is legal for you to own in Maryland.

ETA: from an FFL

Last edited:

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    Plus, it must be from an FFL AT HIS LICENSED PREMISES.
    And, such sale must permitted by the law in both states.

EDIT: An FFL may sell firearms at a gun show WITHIN HIS OWN STATE, as ATF considers guns shows in his state to be an extension of his premises.
    No, you cannot go to PA & buy a long gun from a farmer or any other non-licensee, FTF or mail order; the farmer would have to ship/drive the long gun to your dealer.
    One exception: A C&R licensee can transfer a C&R long gun to a non-licensed resident of another state, if transfer is made at the licensee's home, & such transfer is legal in both states.

Last edited:

EMS Burnout

Oct 10, 2012
    Baltimore County
    1968 Safe Streets Act, prohibited transfers of HANDGUNS from state to state unless the two entities were federally licensed. It does not prohibit transfer of long guns. So unless the law was changed recently or I'm reading it wrong you can go to PA and buy a farmers (or whoever's) long gun (as long as it is not prohibited in MD) face to face.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-a...ed-person-acquire-firearm-under-gca-any-state

Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser’s State of residence and the licensee’s State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    I will say that a lot of retailers in other states will not sell to residents of an other state as a matter of policy. It might be legal for them to make the sale, but it's a lot less confusing if they just don't do it. It keeps it simple.

DoNoHarm

by action or inaction
    Oct 9, 2008
    Balto City
    I bought a 22 rifle a few years ago at a Cabela's in WV, my understanding was that long guns could be purchased from/at FFL's in neighboring states only?

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    I bought a 22 rifle a few years ago at a Cabela's in WV, my understanding was that long guns could be purchased from/at FFL's in neighboring states only?
    'Neighboring states' went away some time ago.

You can buy a long gun in any state with an FFL as long as the laws of both states are followed. Many FFLs just won't sell.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    A lot of FFL's don't want to deal with people from ban states, even if it it legal. They don't believe it's worth the effort to determine if it's legal or the risk in the off chance it isn't actually since federal law places the responsibility on them to know it's legal.

That was repealed at the federal level in 1986. Between 1968 and 1986, federal law allowed you to buy long guns from FFL's in neighboring states if your home state had a law to allow it. A few states still have their own restrictions, but MD is not one of them.

EMS Burnout

Oct 10, 2012
    Baltimore County
    An unlicensed person who is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms may purchase a firearm from an out–of–State source, provided the transfer takes place through a Federal firearms licensee in his or her State of residence.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

I love this forum and how it makes us do research. :)

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    Yes, research is a must. I wore out my copy of the 2005 Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide (ATF P5300.4), now I have to read the newest version online at the ATF website.

I am not up to reading the CFR & USC.

"Show it to me in black-and-white, & I'll take your word for it."

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    PRIVATE Sales of long guns

IN STATE - FACE TO FACE... FFL NOT REQUIRED.
    Lawful as long as the seller believes that the buyer is not a prohibited person and is legally allowed to purchase a firearm. (In case of doubt... DON'T.)

BETWEEN RESIDENTS OF DIFFERENT STATES... FFL REQUIRED.
    Lawful as long as an FFL does the transfer in the buyers or sellers state. AND the buyers state does not prohibit the long gun in question from sales in that state. AND the buyer is not a prohibited person and is legally able to purchase the firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom