• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    One of our friends here in NC is a transplanted New Yorker. Not just the state, but the city. Not just the city, but Manhattan.

I joked about her being a NYC liberal all the time and kidded her about being from the most gun un-friendly place in the US.

I told her I would get her out to the range one time and while I didn't think she would immediately go out and buy a gun, I knew she would probably have a good time.

Today was perfect weather and we had the range to ourselves. That allowed me to provide one on one instruction to someone who had never handled a firearm before. My wife and daughter were there, but they have some experience. Our friend had zero exposure to guns.

She came over to the house and we had an hour long safety "briefing" and a meet and greet with the guns we were going to shoot today. I explained that it would be easier and more fun for her if she had the opportunity to handle the guns unloaded and get to know how they operated.

We had my 1911, my S&W Model 10, two Remington 870s, a Browning Light Twelve and a Ruger Mini-14.

I shot first, so she could experience the sound first. I figured if she knew what to expect sound wise, then the actual shooting would be less of a surprise.

We started her off with the Model 10 with some light reloads. She did not hit anywhere near the center of the target, but she was comfortable with the revolver. We moved closer to the target and she was able to figure out where she was actually aiming and correct herself. Still no expert, but doing well enough to feel at ease.

Next up was the 1911. Laura loved the 1911! She actually giggled after shooting it. Though the recoil was more, I had explained what to expect and she was ready for it. Out of the two handguns, it was easily her favorite.

We loaded the 870s with bird shot. Since we have two of them, I could shoot next to Laura. 870s did their thing and Laura enjoyed both of them.

As a counterpoint, I put one shell in the Light Twelve for Laura to try. While she was surprised at the recoil of the A5, she did well and held onto it. She commented that it was much more than the 870, but she was not intimidated by it at all.

Last up was the Mini-14. I joked that this was the caliber that caused a NY Daily News reported to get PTSD after shooting it once. She shot a half loaded magazine and laughed that this was the caliber that the guy wrote about. It was definitely an "that was it?" moment. She loved the Mini-14, shot it well and was reasonably accurate with it.

All in all it was a good day. Laura will definitely go out shooting again, she told us. She may not go out and buy a gun, but she really enjoyed shooting.

She told us she never was against guns, but she is against gun violence. There was nothing wrong with guns in the hands of capable, responsible people. She realized today just how much fun shooting can be when done responsibly and safely. She also said she has no issue whatsoever with people carrying guns to defend themselves. She's seen me with mine enough and here in NC, a LOT of folks carry.

It was an afternoon well spent. She came back to our house for steaks and beer and a nice time was had by all.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Good for you!
    My boss is from Brooklyn and I don't believe that he had ever even held a gun in his life before.
    Last year I organized a day at the range and took him and 3 of the girls from work. We shot handguns and even that evil scary AR. They all loved it I think he learned a thing or 2 about guns and gun owners that day.

I think the high point for me was watching my 100 lb female co-worker shooting a 44 magnum. She loved it!

Hey, why no pictures?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Excellent story. Just remind her that there is no such thing as "gun violence". There's just violence.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Good for you!
    My boss is from Brooklyn and I don't believe that he had ever even held a gun in his life before.
    Last year I organized a day at the range and took him and 3 of the girls from work. We shot handguns and even that evil scary AR. They all loved it I think he learned a thing or 2 about guns and gun owners that day.

I think the high point for me was watching my 100 lb female co-worker shooting a 44 magnum. She loved it!

Hey, why no pictures?

My wife, who usually takes the pictures, forgot to take any. She took a couple of shaky videos, but they all came out looking like crap. I think this is the first range trip I have ever taken that did not have any pics.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Last up was the Mini-14. I joked that this was the caliber that caused a NY Daily News reported to get PTSD after shooting it once. She shot a half loaded magazine and laughed that this was the caliber that the guy wrote about. It was definitely an "that was it?" moment. She loved the Mini-14, shot it well and was reasonably accurate with it.

Great way to introduce more people to the sport. Love the Mini-14. Robust, low key, and looks great in wood furniture. Practical accuracy out to 200m with iron sights or a simple red dot. Doesn't take a lot of practice before you're ringing steel 9/10 times bench, prone, or offhand.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    That's awesome ! I took a guy from Ghana, Africa with me to shoot my AR a few weeks ago guy loved it! Never handled a firearm in his life and the guy always bugs me to take him back to the range lol

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Congrats on working with a newbe. I find most of them are converted within the first 50 rounds. Always good to hear this kind of story.

Troy1

May 27, 2016
    Great story! Glad she had fun. A buddy treating me to a trip to the range for the first time got me to see the light too. It really works. I've been trying to pay that forward since.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Nice job! Yay for getting a new person to shoot.

She came over to the house and we had an hour long safety "briefing" and a meet and greet with the guns we were going to shoot today. I explained that it would be easier and more fun for her if she had the opportunity to handle the guns unloaded and get to know how they operated.

Nice strategy. That's exactly what I've always done when I've taken a new, inexperienced person to the range. The safety thing is so important, but so is making them comfortable, and allowing them to first see and handle the guns in a "zero pressure" environment is a huge help. As a side note, I've often found that the technique is even MORE useful with guys than with ladies, because the "just you at the house" environment is zero pressure, they're not trying to look cool or "manly" and they're more likely to actually listen to you about the safety instructions and the how to handle the gun instructions. Ladies (again, I am generalizing, but this is borne out by 10+ years of teaching martial arts, where I saw the same thing) are often much better at actually listening to that kind of thing, because they aren't as concerned with looking cool or sometimes thinking they know it already, so they take in the information better.

Nice job!

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    She told us she never was against guns, but she is against gun violence.

I hope you told her that we are ALL against violence. However we cannot stop a bad guy with a gun, unless we are good guys with a gun.

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Lovely story. You do the 2A community a service, Joe, even if your motivation was simply to be neighbourly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Orthogonal

Jul 23, 2013
    Bel Air
    Took 3 coworkers to Freestate a few weeks ago, let them shoot a couple of my pistols, some rented pistols, and my AR (forgot my shotgun slugs).

2 got their own G19s out of jail on Thursday.

1 just got her HQL and we are going back next week to buy.

They were all NJ transplants with no prior firearms experience.

Taking back our rights, 1 person at a time.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Took 3 coworkers to Freestate a few weeks ago, let them shoot a couple of my pistols, some rented pistols, and my AR (forgot my shotgun slugs).

2 got their own G19s out of jail on Thursday.

1 just got her HQL and we are going back next week to buy.

They were all NJ transplants with no prior firearms experience.

Taking back our rights, 1 person at a time.

Sounds like, in your case, 3 at a time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom