• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    I guess it is an outdoor "sport", sure would be hard to do it indoors.
    When I was kid I would love to launch rockets with my dad. I have launched them with my daughters but it was the first time my son has really been able to participate. Now all he wants to do is "Lets Go Blast some more Rockets".
    We lost a couple of the small rockets in the corn but all in all it was a good fathers day.

Last edited:

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    My father and I launched model rockets many many times over many many years. We got started when I was around your son's age. It is a great hobby. We built our first rocket out of a paper towel tube and half a plastic easter egg.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I was into rockets about 20 years ago, had about a dozen Estes models and launched them most every weekend. Life happened, and I got out of it. I got into RC stuff a few years ago and have just about forgot about rocketry. A few weeks ago someone was launching rockets at the school where I fly some of my smaller planes. My 10mo old son went nuts over them, laughing and giggling like a lunatic. So needless to say I just picked up a rocket combo kit and a spare rocket kit a couple weeks ago, built the kit. I have launched them a couple times, at the school, and a friends house last week for his daughter's birthday party, almost forgot how much fun it was, and how much engines cost :shocked4:. I think all my old rocket gear is back at my Dad's house, hopefully I can find it, and will continue to launch rockets with my kid like my dad did with me. I have the room for something in D or E size, I don't have a huge ammount of time, but would like to stick with it. Perhaps I can combine my RC stuff, and rocketry when the JBT drones take over, I have a few suitable interceptors for missle platforms and FPV gear to target bogeys:D

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    Go to Michael's...use your coupon. My grandson told me that this is the coolest thing he has ever done. Too bad he was born 30 years after Apollo 11.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I used to build and launch model rockets when I was younger - it was alot of fun to launch them. It was amazing how high up a small rocket with a "C" engine in it would go, and how fast.

I did have one that must have had a bad engine in it -probably the hole the booster comes out of was plugged - the damn rocket exploded on the launch pad, and blew that sucker to shreds. It sounded like a 30-06 going off. Luckily it was one of those cheapy cardboard rockets.

Dec 6, 2011
    I don't know if it still exists, but the Goddard Space Flight Center used to have a model rocket club that launched on weekends. It was a great place to take kids. They had very nice museum near the launch area with all sorts of Mercury and Apollo stuff including capsules. There was even a gift shop with model rockets, space food, space pens, and all sorts of memorabilia.

bpfeif1

May 31, 2012
    Parkville
    I grew up doing this with my father was well. Hope one day to share with my own little one. Looks like a great fathers day! :thumbsup:

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    I missed out years ago on getting the rocket that shot pictures on 110 film. It seems to me that it would be trivial for Estes to make a new version with a CCD and the potential to film video. (Yeah, I know there are some hacks available online, but I just want an easy kit)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    what kind of camera is on them?? thats cool!

Don't know, ask THier

I missed out years ago on getting the rocket that shot pictures on 110 film. It seems to me that it would be trivial for Estes to make a new version with a CCD and the potential to film video. (Yeah, I know there are some hacks available online, but I just want an easy kit)

Tried onboard video out today. Stuck my trusty 808 #11 keychain cam on the rocket with a little square of velcro, and a block of foam the same size and weight directly across from it so the rocket would fly straight, looped some string around it to hold it still, and it seemed to have worked perfectly. These cameras are HD, tiny, use micro SD cards, and cost about $20. Mine is fearless, it has ridden rockets, planes, helis, and cars, even used it for FPV of an IDPA match I shot in last year. This is a short fat C-sized rocket, not a mini, but still only a foot or so long, and it didn't have any trouble, should be really good on a D or E rocket provided you have the room.

This was taken an hour ago with my boy:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Had one of these WAAAY back when. Lots of fun and even a little educational.

mr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom