• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I’ve been smoking pipes and cigars for years. Pipe tobacco is very easy to store - you just put it in a mason jar and screw the lid on. I’m working through some 2012 tobacco right now. I buy pipe tobacco when it’s on sale and shelf it. I probably have a lifetime supply for myself now.

Cigars are a little tricky because you need to keep them humidified to around 70% humidity.

I’ve vacuum sealed cigarettes before for a friend as an experiment. Vacuum sealed and sat on a shelf for 2 years. He said they were fine.

EDIT: you can age cigars and pipe tobacco like wine or whiskey. Some tobaccos improve with age, so it’s possible that even without SHTF you can sell your tobacco for a premium if you aged it correctly.
    I recollect in the mid seventies, we broke out the life rafts aboard ship for their (almost) annual inspection.

The First LT indicated we were gonna open the survival stores and replace them. That hadn’t been done before with ours and doubtful anywhere in the fleet. They’d been packed sometime in the early forties.

When we opened them, there were a couple sealed packs of cigarettes and matches. Some of the salty old guys fired them up and seemed to enjoy them. Unfiltered of course. They pronounced them smokable.

Who knew? (That’s a hella long time packed in a bag and a box over that with the whole thing exposed to almost forty years of some pretty harsh elements on deck...)

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    I have about $1000 in silver in my safe. Problem is, it is all in one ounce rounds. I really need to get some smaller denominations. Also, I have LOTS of ammunition that I can trade/sell. Caronapocalypse has proven this to be a good plan. Those of my friends that were unprepared got ammo at my cost, rather than pay the jacked-up prices that hit us in the last couple of months. AND, I still have plenty...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have about $1000 in silver in my safe. Problem is, it is all in one ounce rounds. I really need to get some smaller denominations. Also, I have LOTS of ammunition that I can trade/sell. Caronapocalypse has proven this to be a good plan. Those of my friends that were unprepared got ammo at my cost, rather than pay the jacked-up prices that hit us in the last couple of months. AND, I still have plenty...

Cut them.

The old pirate pieces of eight, wear silver coins cut into 1/8s

Onceuponatime

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 19, 2018

Fractional silver will cost you too much in premium, especially right now.

Buy 90% US coinage. I'm sure you know but this would consist of dimes, quarters and half dollars from 1964 and earlier. You can try to find better prices but you're probably looking at at least 13.50 to 14.00 per $1 of face value for the silver coins.

This would more than do the trick for giving you smaller thank 1 oz denominations.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    I recollect in the mid seventies, we broke out the life rafts aboard ship for their (almost) annual inspection.

The First LT indicated we were gonna open the survival stores and replace them. That hadn’t been done before with ours and doubtful anywhere in the fleet. They’d been packed sometime in the early forties.

When we opened them, there were a couple sealed packs of cigarettes and matches. Some of the salty old guys fired them up and seemed to enjoy them. Unfiltered of course. They pronounced them smokable.

Who knew? (That’s a hella long time packed in a bag and a box over that with the whole thing exposed to almost forty years of some pretty harsh elements on deck...)

Nice!

Attachments

• D9941FC0-BA05-4869-A776-6AA717A78FCE.jpg
      D9941FC0-BA05-4869-A776-6AA717A78FCE.jpg
      39.2 KB · Views: 265

LiveSteamer

Mar 22, 2020
    The Republic of Texas
    One once silver bars are readily available. Some come prescored to break into 4 pieces for small transactions. Current spot price of silver is a few cents over $ 15 an ounce. This means shopping around the many competitive dealers you can probably buy silver for about $ 16 an ounce. Break the one ounce bars into four pieces and each piece is worth $ 4 at current prices. Should silver prices in a crisis double, the one quarter ounce piece would still be worth less than $ 10, and if it quadrupled still less than $ 20, certainly still good for fairly small transactions. I think silver bullion and 90 % silver coins are much more practical for every day trading than gold. Current spot price of gold is $ 1,657 an once. Not very practical for every day trading for goods and services.

LiveSteamer

Mar 22, 2020
    The Republic of Texas
    During the late 1960's I was working in then West Germany for the DOD. I was a civilian employee and had DOD sponsorship, meaning military housing, medical, PX, and commissary privileges. Cigarettes, booze, tea, and gasoline was still rationed and we received ration coupons each month. American cigarettes were very popular with the German population. I didn't smoke, but used my cigarette rations for some local barter. A couple of cartons of Marlboros a month had the German putzfrau (housekeeper) keeping my quarters spotless and doing my laundry.

LiveSteamer

Mar 22, 2020
    The Republic of Texas
    I should have checked the current market before my post on silver bars. The last time I purchased silver bars they were readily available for $ 1 over spot price with free shipping with a minimum purchase. I just checked several on line dealers and the problem currently is not price but supply. I found several dealers with prices of one ounce silver bars at less than $ 18 an ounce and free shipping for purchases over $ 99. Problem is they were all out of stock. Dealers with stock were asking $ 20 an ounce. Good old supply and demand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom