• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Suppose somebody (not me, of course), had an AR build and wanted to have both a scope and flip up iron sights. Custom & practice indicate that the scope is on top and the sights either under the scope or at a 45 degree offset. If things didn't fit that way, would there be any serious complication if the sights were on the top and the scope offset 45 degrees? :innocent0

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    You don't want to do that. You don't want to have to twist yourself and the rifle to engage a target out to as much as 600y prone or off a barrier. Generally the offset sights are not exactly over the bore when you flip you right arm up (for righties) to use them. Most of your shooting with the offset sights will be while standing after a run. Just looking at a red dot doesn't require that it be exactly straight up and down as long as its zeroed for the yardage you want.. Most of those shots are CQB. I shot mostly Unlimited Division in those days.
    Not to mention that the scope would interfere with case ejection.
    On that note its possible to pick a scope that has a BDC reticle that you can use like a red dot so you don't need an extra set of optics for close in work. After using the offset sights for a year or two I took them off and just used the scope reticle with the red illumination turned on (Burris MTAC BDC 1x4x24/1.5-6x42). By doing this I could shoot either Unlimited or Tac Optics without changing the rifle out (just removing the optional bipod from Unlimited).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    On that note its possible to pick a scope that has a BDC reticle that you can use like a red dot so you don't need an extra set of optics for close in work. After using the offset sights for a year or two I took them off and just used the scope reticle with the red illumination turned on (Burris MTAC BDC 1x4x24/1.5-6x42). By doing this I could shoot either Unlimited or Tac Optics without changing the rifle out (just removing the optional bipod from Unlimited).
    Burris has the RT-8 DFP scope coming out at $799 (MSRP!) that could really be the ticket for this going forward. The XTRII 1.5-8x DFP is a great scope, too, but the lack of a true 1x holds it back in speed somewhat.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Of course, there is also the scope mount with picatinny rails on top of the scope rings (Burris is one). This allows a mini dot to be mounted on a ring for CQB. I don’t use that but the option is out there.
    With either offset sights or the mini dot on the ring, one’s head or the rifle needs to be shifted to use.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Of course, there is also the scope mount with picatinny rails on top of the scope rings (Burris is one). This allows a mini dot to be mounted on a ring for CQB. I don’t use that but the option is out there.
    With either offset sights or the mini dot on the ring, one’s head or the rifle needs to be shifted to use.

I have that setup (MTAC with FastFire), it is not that convenient, as you have to lift your head quite a bit to see the red dot.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I looked at that set for a long time but never did buy it for that very reason. Hence my comment about shifting the gun or your head for this setup or offset sights.
    I tried the low variable illuminated optics and they don’t work for me.
    My preferred application now is a dot sight, preferably a prism type, for carbines since they are practical tools for me.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    If I understand your issue correctly, without seeing the gun, I’m guessing you don’t have room to mount a rear backup because your scope mount conflicts? If yes, no worry. I have a couple of guns with EOtechs and magnifiers which present the same issue. I have Magpul MBUS sights mounted on 45 rails with the rear sight out in front of the EOtech. Works just fine. You can likely do the same.

Edit/Add: I happen to have a pic on my phone of one of them so you can see where they are mounted.

IMG_4365.jpg

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Thanks for the input guys. Unless there's an insurrection or something, shooting is done at 100 yards or less. The off set irons are just in case the scope gets knocked loose or something. My son just commented that we'll get smaller offset sights.....well, duh.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks for the input guys. Unless there's an insurrection or something, shooting is done at 100 yards or less. The off set irons are just in case the scope gets knocked loose or something. My son just commented that we'll get smaller offset sights.....well, duh.

Here's another line of thought. If you're shooting 100 yards and under why even run a scope?

I run an M68 on my M4 patrol rifle co-witnessed to the irons. If the M68 fails there is no real transition because you're already on the irons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom