• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I guarantee you can't do that in a crowded theatre in the dark with 300 people running around.
    The real training is what will you do when a threat is in any area of that theatre?

Set your mind before worrying about trigger reset.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

In that scenario I would retreat. I’m not an operator nor claim to be. If the threat was next to me I would take it out otherwise my role is to protect myself and my family.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    In that scenario I would retreat. I’m not an operator nor claim to be. If the threat was next to me I would take it out otherwise my role is to protect myself and my family.
    Good luck if it ever happens.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Training is important. As, or more precisely, how seriously you take your training is as or more important. If you simply play good guy vs. bad guy like kids play that's how you'll respond under stress. Get competent training and then practice. Concentrate on the basics and not gadgets. Gadgets have their place but they don't replace knowing the basics of safety, situational awareness, fundamentals of sight alignment and trigger control. Targets must be identified...knowledge of basic tactics, cover and concealment (if possible), when to retreat or stand your ground, etc.

You can do everything right and still die. Competent instruction and practice helps to stack the odds in your favor but is no guarantee of success. Don't fight fair...if possible and overmatch on your part is the way to go. As Bill Jordan said...there's no second place winner in a gun fight.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    In my opinion, that is what is exactly what is wrong with gun owners. They worry about what the legal system thinks before worrying about their own life, or those they are responsible to protect. It's completely backwards.

Criminals dont obey laws and they don't fight fair. Trying to fight fair with a person intent on doing harm is a loosing proposition. For me, it's simple. I have a threshold, and if someone crosses it, my use of self defense will be violent and swift.

I'll handle me and mine, and I don't care about what the courts or other "safety blanket" gun owners think of me defending myself or my family. The courts and police have no duty to protect me or mine.

I'll do what is necessary to end a deadly threat to myself or those in my charge. If that day ever happens, I won't make a statement to the police, and I'll let my attorney do the talking to L.E. and the courts.

If other people want to second guess, or phone a lawyer before shooting, oh well. I honestly don't care if they live or die, it's their life. I do feel bad for those they are supposed to protect. Those same people would second guess me all day and twice on Sunday, no matter how justified a shoot was.

Rules of engagement, in this case the legality of a shoot, is a part of situational awareness. Just as much as knowing what is behind your target, not just target picture.

I pray for you and your family should you ever have to defend yourself. Your myopic view could destroy more than just your life. The difference between a trigger puller and an operator isn't knowing when to shoot, it's when it is tactically adventageous not to. (That and the beard)

Hence my previous post

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Fortunately, there are not many "shootouts" going on in public places, restaurants and the like. "Marksmanship" training, not a lot is needed ... But you can "train" yourself everyday going about your life picturing scenarios everywhere you go and "what If ing". That is what will be more relevant than drawing and making a shot under 1 second while on a static firing line.

This (condensed, just here) post by Blaster has the strong ring of truth. Yeah, I should practice more with things like heart-rate-up-weak-hand-only shooting. But mostly, my gut tells me that the biggest thing facing me is on the fly analysis paralysis in a public setting, where absolutely any and every conceivable real-world situation that would ever, ever actually have me pull out a gun is guaranteed to not resemble - in any way - any sort of class situation a normal busy working person is likely to meaningfully simulate and train for.

I've had multiple defensive (or at least hackles-up, radar-on-high) encounters with prospective assailants in my years, where my large frame and resting bitch face added up to a quick wrap-up of what probably weren't going to be life or death situations. Even those comparatively simple situations seemed, at the time and even more so on reflection, to be pure chaos and utterly non-compliant with expectations about how such a situation would play out. My sense is that a situation dire enough to draw on would be that times a thousand. And that my gun handling and marksmanship at likely distances won't be unimportant, but will be among the least of my concerns.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Blaster, great post (the one with the photo). Exactly what we all need more of. The THINKING part of "the game".

As far as setting up VERY realistic scenarios to game this stuff, the best venue for this was probably the National Tactical Invitational, but it does not exist anymore. Those who I know who went through it said there was nothing else like it, and many well-thought-of instructors and competitive shooters failed MISERABLY going through the scenarios (and many of them refused to return!). Picture a mission of going to the grocery store and having upwards of 30 role players each of whom has had specific instructions (like a decision tree, so what you do determines what they do which in turn influences what you do, etc.), and you having to negotiate your way though it all. Sort of like a live-action FATS. You might shoot 10 people or never even draw. There will be a presentation at this year's TacCon in March about the lessons from NTI.

Other schools like MDFI, Sage Dynamics, and others, dabble in force-on-force, scenario-based training, but such courses are not nearly as common as standing in lines and shooting at bullseyes, practicing reloads and malfunctions, etc.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I agree with the situational awareness posts. I don't really plan to use my carry gun against a target on the other side of a shopping mall or across a parking lot. If it's beyond 5-7 yards my plan is to either move to a better position for a shot, escape the area, or watch everything closely and try to take photos or video to become a witness for the court date later. That's why I only keep a J frame in my vehicle. If I'm in my vehicle I'll simply drive away instead of pulling out a takedown AR and engaging people at 200 yards.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Rules of engagement, in this case the legality of a shoot, is a part of situational awareness. Just as much as knowing what is behind your target, not just target picture.

I pray for you and your family should you ever have to defend yourself. Your myopic view could destroy more than just your life. The difference between a trigger puller and an operator isn't knowing when to shoot, it's when it is tactically adventageous not to. (That and the beard)

Hence my previous post

Don't want or need your prayers, nor do I want people like you on my jury. Your kind is fine with killing children but wants to burn people like me at the stake for using a gun in defense.

There won't be any engagement if an attacker does not make me fear my life or those in my charge.

That's a solid legal standard, regardless of what the run away crowd preaches.

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    So, of course we (who pay attention, read the blogs inclined to cover the topic, etc) generally find out quickly when someone - super trained or noob - uses a personal weapon to defend themselves. I'm sure there's a certain amount of confirmation bias going on, but: how often do we see stories about someone carrying and failing to succeed in mitigating a situation and defending themselves? Or killing a bystander? Of course those things happen in some small percentage of confrontations, but my take on it is that it's minimal. Actual encounters of this kind are rare to begin with, and the hyper-trained individuals are (seat of the pants, here!) only marginally more likely to succeed in running off a bad guy than is a noob. Which is NOT me dismissing training (man, do I want more than I've bothered with so far), but recognizing that it really does have more to do with rules of engagement, situational awareness, and a grasp of legal consequences than it does with lightning fast draws and 3" groups at 15 yards instead of 6" groups.

I honestly don't recall the last time I read of a dead or badly injured person who was reported as having been carrying, but couldn't put it to work. I'm sure it happens. But enough to justify monthly mortgage level training expenses for most people? Can't imagine it. Sort of like saying you need a fancy bass boat and a huge monthly fuel budget so you can have fish to eat. We are masters of rationalization! I'm guilty, too. It's OK to just say, "I really like the social aspects and personal gratification of getting better at something I find compelling - whether it's bowling, bass fishing, or making tricky targets go clang under a timer." Honestly, sometimes I think our BGOS inspires an almost over-the-top drive to be seen enjoying guns and shootings in the context of hyper readiness and vigilance so we never have to confess that we just think it's freakin' fun.

I think you're right. Marksmanship is important, sure. But in the majority of self defense scenarios, marksmanship isn't the concern. Anyone who spends a little time at the range can effectively put three rounds on target at <7 yards.

Situational awareness, the ability to avoid the fight to begin with, knowing the rules of engagement, when and how to use your firearm in a defensive situation seems the real failure point. Sure, I'm heading to the range this week to run through dot torture and then Mozambique drills with both of my carry guns. But that's not the most important training I should do.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Don't want or need your prayers, nor do I want people like you on my jury. Your kind is fine with killing children but wants to burn people like me at the stake for using a gun in defense.

There won't be any engagement if an attacker does not make me fear my life or those in my charge.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

Much like the rest of your posts, you are wrong.

I can't speak for my "kind" whatever that is. But I am not ok with killing children, and I don't want you burned at the stake, not even a little bit.

That said, I hope you don't escalate an armed confrontation the same way you escalate an internet one. At this point im pretty sure a stiff fart will make you "fear for your life".

Stop being a victim.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    You can't defend your family if you are dead because you didn't fight back. You can't defend them from future threats if you are in a jail cell either. And you can't defend them if the bankruptcy court judge forces you to sell all your weapons because you lost a million dollar wrongful death civil court case.

Each situation is different and you must make a split second decision under duress if your situation requires fight or flight. It's got to be one or the other, I don't believe there is a situation where both would be acceptable in today's society and especially in Maryland.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Much like the rest of your posts, you are wrong.

I can't speak for my "kind" whatever that is. But I am not ok with killing children, and I don't want you burned at the stake, not even a little bit.

That said, I hope you don't escalate an armed confrontation the same way you escalate an internet one. At this point im pretty sure a stiff fart will make you "fear for your life".

Stop being a victim.

Someone got his/her feels hurt. LMAO.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I think I pretty much explained everything to the Nth degree in my long winded example post with picture. Did you read it?

I did, didn’t see you mention a theater with 300 people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom