• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newshot

Mar 17, 2017
    Baltimore
    I know I will need to buy a new gun. Here is what I've been shooting (Llama 380) and I know it's jam prone:

380s.jpg

I am comfortable with this gun. A .45 is too much for me, for now at least (I'm a female 5'1, ~125 lbs). I basically know nothing about guns (see intro). I want it mainly for fun and protection. I plan to become a member at FreeState.

What gun would you recommend me try out?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If it's not going to be carried the baseline IMHO is a Glock 19 or even a 17.

If you want something with a bit of heft I'm a fan of the Sig 226/229 platform.

Regardless there's a lot of firearms that are of high quality that you could try. Sig 320, FNS, PPQ, VP9, XD's, M&P's, many of the CZ offerings, and that's not touching wheel guns.

skunkworks

Sep 27, 2014
    Go to a range and rent a few that appeal to you. Try before you buy. The get what makes you comfortable.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    If you like shooting .380, you can't go wrong with a Bersa Thunder 380. It's affordable, reliable, and it breaks down into three pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    22e0c71173ed6c8210f133f64b77ef2b.jpg

newshot

Mar 17, 2017
    Baltimore
    Go to a range and rent a few that appeal to you. Try before you buy. The get what makes you comfortable.

This is definitely the plan but with basically 0 knowledge of guns, I need some ideas of what to rent to begin with.

Saturday is my birthday and a new gun might be my present to myself :party29:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I agree, try before you buy.

I'd try G19 or even a 1911 in 9mm if the 45 is bit much for you. I'm actually a huge fan of the Taurus 1911 in 9mm, its a sweet shooter

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Seriously, rent a Springfield XD9/9mm pistol.

The grip area is so well designed, it molds to most hands effortlessly. That cannot be said for the Glock.

The XD9 is reliable as can be and damned accurate too.

I have one the original/old V10 ported 4 inch models. Not a single failure to feed/failure to extract. And they eat anything fed to them.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Go to a range that rents guns and hold several different ones in the caliber you prefer (probably 380 or 9mm). See which one/s fit your hands the best and start there, that is a key to shooting well with a pistol, especially for a lady with smaller hands. ;)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    CZs are made for this type of shooting. They'll fit big and small digits. Find a range that has a variety of pistols to try out. Pay $100 now in ammunition so you aren't wasting $500 on a new gun you can't shoot.

newshot

Mar 17, 2017
    Baltimore
    Go to a range that rents guns and hold several different ones in the caliber you prefer (probably 380 or 9mm). See which one/s fit your hands the best and start there, that is a key to shooting well with a pistol, especially for a lady with smaller hands. ;)

Yes, I have very small hands!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    This is definitely the plan but with basically 0 knowledge of guns, I need some ideas of what to rent to begin with.

Saturday is my birthday and a new gun might be my present to myself :party29:

call around to some ranges and see how many handguns they have for rent and pick one that has a lot. then just handle most of them and pick the most comfortable ones to actually shoot.

you can also hit a gun show where you will have the opportunity to handle LOTS of different handguns. that can help you narrow it down.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Yes, I have very small hands!

if you have small hands, you should really check out the Sig P320 with the small grip module. you may be hard pressed to find a range that has one for rent with the module but you will be very happy with it.

I have Small, Medium, and Large for my HQL classes and everyone is very impressed with how they fit and the P320 performs.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    a long drive, but this saturday at peacemaker (www.peacemakernational.com) they're having a Steel Challenge match. there are a couple of experienced female shooters registered. if you go and spectate i am sure you will be able to talk with them and get their opinions on what may work for you, and most likely at least some of them will let you hold and even shoot what they have.

newshot

Mar 17, 2017
    Baltimore
    call around to some ranges and see how many handguns they have for rent and pick one that has a lot. then just handle most of them and pick the most comfortable ones to actually shoot.

you can also hit a gun show where you will have the opportunity to handle LOTS of different handguns. that can help you narrow it down.

I'm going to check FreeState out first as it's the only range I've been to so far. Maybe hit up Continental next weekend as well as the gun show at the fairgrounds.

if you have small hands, you should really check out the Sig P320 with the small grip module. you may be hard pressed to find a range that has one for rent with the module but you will be very happy with it.

I have Small, Medium, and Large for my HQL classes and everyone is very impressed with how they fit and the P320 performs.

Good to know that something for small hands is out there.

a long drive, but this saturday at peacemaker (www.peacemakernational.com) they're having a Steel Challenge match. there are a couple of experienced female shooters registered. if you go and spectate i am sure you will be able to talk with them and get their opinions on what may work for you, and most likely at least some of them will let you hold and even shoot what they have.

Not sure I want to spend my birthday driving that far. Definitely interested in spectating in the future though.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I own an XD9 and a Glock 19. I would recommend both as they are simple and reliable. The XD has slightly more felt recoil in my experience, but the XD has a much better stock trigger.

However, the advice for the CZ 75 is really hard to beat. Superb firearm and the next handgun on my list.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    As everyone has said, try as many as you can before you buy...but don't rush. Any range that rents guns is going to try to sell you one (not a bad thing...it is their business :shrug:), but don't feel pressured to buy until you've tried them all...but also don't be afraid to ask questions and let the dealer tell you anything and everything you need to know about each specimen (taken with a grain of salt...of course...everyone has their opinions;)).

You also might find a buddy or two here who will let you try what they have.

Glock 19 is an excellent option. I hate it...:oI pretty much hate Glocks in general...but I absolutely respect them:cool:. My wife has small hands and the G19 fits her perfectly. She loves it.

Nowadays there are so many options, with interchangeable grips/backstraps. If you aren't looking to carry, you don't have to limit yourself to small pistols. A lot of models can be a full sized pistol with a small grip. Full size offers better sighting and reduced recoil (due to the extra weight).

9mm would be a great caliber because it offers more power than the .380 without tremedously more recoil (especially in a full size). The ammo is more readily available and in many more varieties.

The bottom line though is you need to buy the one that feels right to you, regardless of what anyone else says.

Good luck, and keep us posted! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom