• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    School me on my rifle

I just ordered a dpms recon .308 , I can pick it up Monday and I'm realizing I don't know jack about rifles. It comes with magpul Flip up sights, are these good enough to learn to use iron sights or is it the same thing? Secondly there is a scope in the near future I was looking at a millett 4-16x50mm on amazon for just under $300 is it worth it or should I go in another direction, I don't want to go crazy on a $1700 trijicon or anything and how do you find out what rings and base to get. I'm joining AGC next month and I plan on taking a deer this year with it so I probably won't be shooting out past 200-300 yards and I'm interested in pig hunting mostly but I'll start with a deer. I'm kind of chasing my tail with a whole new world of guns and its a lot to take in. Any help or just point me to a thread or two would be appreciated.

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The magpuls are good enough to get you going, it's not the same as Irons, but it's the same concept - just they can be folded down.

One of my first scopes was a Millett TRS-1, it's not a bad scope for the money, but for $70 more you can do a bit better and get a Falcon Menace 4-14x44 First Focal Plane with Mil/Mil adjustments. You lose some magnification, but you get better glass quality and a first focal plane reticle - which means you can range a target at any power magnification.

That optic has enough adjustment to get you out past 700 to 800 yards, and the reticle is a bit fine for deer/pig hunting, so it may not be the best option in that scenario.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some people report good luck with Milletts. Others swear at them.

I have a 1-4x, and it is definitely at the low end of optics.

In optics especially, Buy once, Cry once. Spend the money to get decent optics.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    I'd like a QD base, what height rings for a 44mm scope? Also are the one piece bases better than Seperate bases?
    And cantilever or not?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    For whitetails and pigs around this territory...I would favor tactical scopes in the 1-6x, 1-4x, 1.5-5x, 2-7x variety. Google them. I don't prefer the Millet scopes too much. 4x powered scopes are good for shooting up to 300 yards.

Have the scope set on the lowest power for hunting deer or pigs. You can crank up the power later, because it's awful hard to pick up a close range running deer, if the optic is set any higher than 2x.

If you prefer a higher power...may I suggest going with a 3-9x variable scope. For a new scope...I would tend to shy away from scopes costing under $300.

Google: Leupold counterfeit warning

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    Thanks for all of the info. I ordered the falcon menace 4-14x44 and a Burris pepr QD mount. I'm thinking in a few months I'll get a smaller hunting scope and another pepr mount for hunting. With the pepr mount would it be worth it to put one of the micro red Dot's on the top picatinny for short range since I went a little big on my primary scope.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    1404187672147.jpg finally got to pick it up today unfortunately I can't shoot it for another month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom