• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    My mag holds 15 and I only load it with 10,how often should I switch mags so I don't wear out the springs too fast.Or is it a non-issue and just stuff them both?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Stuff em full up. Mags wear out cycling not sitting. Get good JHPs and stash it away. No issues. Keep em both full and ready. Just check em once a month make sure the ammo isn't rusty/falling apart.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Depends on the quality of the mag, but most good mags will be fine sitting loaded. That said if you still feel uncertain, it can't hurt to swap the ammo between mags every now and again.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    thanks,they are factory ruger mags and I plan on going to the range weekly so it sounds like i'm Ok.still trying to get my hands on some jhp's their hard to come by right now as i'm sure you all know.

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    Stuff em full up. Mags wear out cycling not sitting. Get good JHPs and stash it away. No issues. Keep em both full and ready. Just check em once a month make sure the ammo isn't rusty/falling apart.

I agree with this if you are using factory mags.

Also its good to have a set of range mags and home mags. Use your range mags at the range and the home mags when you load your gun up to depend your life on it. Mags that are used at ranges will slowly acquire dirt and dents which may reduce functionality over time. Dropping and denting on the feed lips can be very bad! Also number your mags with a sharpie. so if you are at the range you can keep track of the ones giving you trouble. If you start getting malfunctions from a specific mag throw it out.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Personally, I don't advise letting them sit for extended periods. Just like your firearms, they need to be used or checked periodically, especially for HD applications. You need to make absolutely certain the mag you have loaded is 100% functional with the specific ammo you have.

I'll agree that this mag should be separated from your heavy range mags. Also, I like to NOT fully load HD mags, maybe one short. If stored fully compressed for extended periods, thee is the possibility that the spring could weaken just enough that you could end up with misfeeds with the last round or two.

What Mopar and the others said is true, you could fully load and store for months to years without any issues. But with even a possibility of this causing issues with the mag, I think a little bit of confirming the functionality periodically is worth it.

This is just my opinion, mainly based on seeing a few mag issues in Iraq related to soldiers who rarely saw combat until it came time to load up a mag that had been sitting in their web gear for 6 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom