• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    So I was in a Gun Shop today and over heard the conversation of someone who had their paper work con back denied. The FFL owner was on the phone with a Corporal trying to get an answer as to why since the man had a gun hanging on his hip. Yes, this guy had had his concealed carry permit for nearly 10 years. From what I heard this is the first handgun he's tried buying since the shit hit the fan but he's purchased multiple handguns over the last couple years. The Corporal from the state police told the shop owner that something new popped up that they had missed the past 10 years. The man who was denied seemed like a honest man and said he was arrested 30 years ago but it was for a crime that wouldn't warrant a denial. I'm now wondering what the MSP is looking for now that they hadn't looked for the past 20 years. Lastly the FFL told the man that he wouldn't be surprised if they came to his house and confiscated his permit along with the firearms he's purchased and now unable to own.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Seems odd. Gotta be more to the story, if the guy has a ccw then the definitely did a thorough background check then.

That's what I was thinking but the guy who was probably in his 50's seemed pretty adamant about not being arrested since 30 years ago and you would think if they gave him that CCW then that arrest wouldn't have went against him. Who knows, maybe he is lying.

He was also wondering if the MSP could look into your medical records and deny you for any reason other than being committed to a mental institution. He mentioned he was on anti depression medicine but who isn't now a days.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    That reminds me...
    "There’s no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
    When there aren’t enough criminals, one makes them.
    One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

RugerRedbone

Jan 19, 2013
    Forest Hill
    That reminds me...
    "There’s no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
    When there aren’t enough criminals, one makes them.
    One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

She was a sharp woman, have to disagree with her on religious views but poliricaly she was dead on.

hooterzurg

Redneck Democrat
    I can come up with two possibilities here --

1 - The penalty for his original crime may have changed since his conviction. If it was previously a 2yr. sentence but changed to a 3yr. sentence then he would no longer pass the BG check.

2 - A court note on a previous entry could have been knocked off the bottom of the report or out of the system. This happened to the guy who works in the office next to me. He bought an M&P .40 last summer with no problem. He went in to buy an AR in November but came back denied. THE COPS DID COME TO HIS HOUSE TO COLLECT HIS HANDGUN. However, he had already had the foresight to transfer it to his wife. It took him a few months to clear his record - some crap he had from 20 years ago was showing the wrong charge because information previously there was now gone from the listing the MSP pulled.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Do I detect a pattern?

I suppose the pattern would be I stop into a lot of Shops and if I don't find anything good, stick around a shoot some BS.

I live in Perry Hall so there are about 5 FFL's within 10 square miles.

The shop I over heard this in today was The Christian Soldier. Anyone is more than welcome to stop in there and ask him about it. He's a nice guy so I'm sure he wouldn't mind sharing the info. I actually hope someone stops in to ask him. I'm curious to see if he finds anything else out.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have been denied twice and I have a MD carry permit. Once was for an open investigation because I was renewing my clearence and once was for an unpaid parking ticket that I didnt even know I had. Both times took a few phone calls and a few days and I was able to pick up my guns.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I have been denied twice and I have a MD carry permit. Once was for an open investigation because I was renewing my clearence and once was for an unpaid parking ticket that I didnt even know I had. Both times took a few phone calls and a few days and I was able to pick up my guns.

When I was at the Shop today and heard this going on, I actually suggested he had a unpaid parking ticket and one of the employees behind the counter said they never heard of someone being denied for that. The shop owner was one the phone with the MSP so he was unable to chime in but I told his helper that I've heard of many people being denied.

Honestly, I don't think that was the reason here. From what it sounded like, it was pretty serious. The purchaser was actually afraid he would possibly lose his job and from what I heard the shop owner saying on the phone, it almost sounded as if the MSP was going to pay this gentleman a visit.

In the end, hopefully it was just a mishap. I would hate to know the state is digging deeper or increasing the standards to be approved.

By the way, how can I check if I have any unpaid tickets? I have something in the pipe line and would hate to see a disproved for something so tedious. I also think I have some unpaid speed camera tickets. Can the speed camera tickets be used to disprove?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I had to go to the courthouse to the clerks office and give them my name. The ticket was actually for an expired parking meter or so they said. I couldnt even tell you the last time I parked at a meter but I didnt argue it and just paid the small fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom