• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawlor

SheepDog
    Jan 28, 2013
    This may have been asked before and may need to be moved but I did not find it in a search.

I recently applied for my concealed carry permit. However, I received a letter yesterday asking me to provide information such as copies of police reports for assaults, threats, harassment's, and or stalkings. I recently moved here because my wife is active duty Navy and have not been in Maryland long enough to even have any of that information, let alone dealt with any thing like that.

Has anyone else dealt with this same type of letter from MSP? If so, what did you do to ensure you had the proper information to send to them?

Thanks,

Nick

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    This may have been asked before and may need to be moved but I did not find it in a search.

I recently applied for my concealed carry permit. However, I received a letter yesterday asking me to provide information such as copies of police reports for assaults, threats, harassment's, and or stalkings. I recently moved here because my wife is active duty Navy and have not been in Maryland long enough to even have any of that information, let alone dealt with any thing like that.

Has anyone else dealt with this same type of letter from MSP? If so, what did you do to ensure you had the proper information to send to them?

Thanks,

Nick

You are not getting a permit unless you own a business and carry large amounts of cash...unless you are politically connected...unless you have documented reports of threats....or you are a doc who fills prescriptions.

Sorry.

RealtorMatt

Welcome to Maryland - the land of the "Good and Substantial" cause to get a CCW.

What exactly does G&S mean? Well - that's the thing... no one really knows. It is at the sole discretion of the MSP to decide if you have it or not.

Rumor has it that you either need to carry large amounts of cash to and from bad areas, and have several DOCUMENTED threats and assaults against you.

Personally, I think the MSP would rather see you killed than give you a CCW. It's less paperwork for them.

But... if you want, I only charge a small nominal fee to beat you up and leave you for dead in the back alley. I will call the police as I leave so you can at least have 1 documented case of assault to use toward your case.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Nick, there has already been a ton of discussion on this topic, but I'll give you the brief rundown.

Currently, Maryland is a "May Issue" state - not a "Shall Issue" state. Translated, that means that when someone applies for a CCW permit, the state takes the application and weighs it out to see if there is justification to grant the permit. Currently justification includes stuff like:

-- actual physical assaults, documented by police reports
    -- life threating written threats from a specific person
    -- a job that involves moving large amounts of cash due to a business

If you don't have any or all of the above, your application will be denied due to lack of justification. It's just the way it is here. Right now there is a court case at the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond that will either uphold or overturn a court decision from last May or June where it was basically declared to be unconstitutional for the State to deny someone a right to a CCW permit, which would have effectively turned us in to a "Shall Issue" state. However, the decision was appealed and an injunction was put in place, so it's business as usual until the Court of Appeals comes back with a decision that we hope to be in our favor.

m&p9

Dec 18, 2012
    Salisbury
    Welcome to Maryland -

But... if you want, I only charge a small nominal fee to beat you up and leave you for dead in the back alley. I will call the police as I leave so you can at least have 1 documented case of assault to use toward your case.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

goofy810

Jan 14, 2013
    Welcome to Maryland - the land of the "Good and Substantial" cause to get a CCW.

What exactly does G&S mean? Well - that's the thing... no one really knows. It is at the sole discretion of the MSP to decide if you have it or not.

Rumor has it that you either need to carry large amounts of cash to and from bad areas, and have several DOCUMENTED threats and assaults against you.

Personally, I think the MSP would rather see you killed than give you a CCW. It's less paperwork for them.

Not a bad idea. Hehe

lawlor

SheepDog
    Jan 28, 2013
    Well we are somewhat politically connected and especially where my wife works. Lets just say she is on the "most interesting man in the worlds" duty.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Well we are somewhat politically connected and especially where my wife works. Lets just say she is on the "most interesting man in the worlds" duty.

Still no chance bro. Have folks here that work at 3 letter agencies with no chance.

Politically connected as in...you work for Gov. Owmalley. That's what we mean.

And since you got that letter from MSP I'm inclined to say you are aren't getting that permit. Just being real bro.

lawlor

SheepDog
    Jan 28, 2013
    That's pretty good! How much do you charge? :lol2:

lawlor

SheepDog
    Jan 28, 2013
    Still no chance bro. Have folks here that work at 3 letter agencies with no chance.

Politically connected as in...you work for Gov. Owmalley. That's what we mean.

Gotcha. She works for barry, unfortunately.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unless you applied during the specific time window of " After the decision, before the Stay" you must comply with the "Good & Substantial" scheme. If you are an Md, bail bondsman, criminal atty, etc you're good. If you own or manage a bussiness with history of cash flow, you're semi-good ( likely to recieve w/ restrictions). If you have to ask , you are not sufficiently politically connected.
    For a normal citizen to recieve a personal protection permit, you basically have to be the victim of attempted murder who managed to survive.

Otherwise wait with the rest of us to follow to path of Woolard v Shepard eventually to USSC.

And Md's philosophy is that if someone is at hightened risk as regards their activities with Mil or USG, then the Military or USG is free to issue them credentials and weapons, not the State of Md.

Politically Conected means being an elected State Senator or Delagate, or an elected high ranking City or County official, who also happens to be a close political ally of the Gov.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    Nick, there has already been a ton of discussion on this topic, but I'll give you the brief rundown.

Currently, Maryland is a "May Issue" state - not a "Shall Issue" state. Translated, that means that when someone applies for a CCW permit, the state takes the application and weighs it out to see if there is justification to grant the permit. Currently justification includes stuff like:

-- actual physical assaults, documented by police reports
    -- life threating written threats from a specific person
    -- a job that involves moving large amounts of cash due to a business

If you don't have any or all of the above, your application will be denied due to lack of justification. It's just the way it is here. Right now there is a court case at the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond that will either uphold or overturn a court decision from last May or June where it was basically declared to be unconstitutional for the State to deny someone a right to a CCW permit, which would have effectively turned us in to a "Shall Issue" state. However, the decision was appealed and an injunction was put in place, so it's business as usual until the Court of Appeals comes back with a decision that we hope to be in our favor.

That is the criteria that is listed. However, if you happen to be related to a Democrat politician or you're even just a close drinking buddy of one, you're likely to get a permit. This state is rampant with corruption and nepotism.

lawlor

SheepDog
    Jan 28, 2013
    That is the criteria that is listed. However, if you happen to be related to a Democrat politician or you're even just a close drinking buddy of one, you're likely to get a permit. This state is rampant with corruption and nepotism.

I'm definitely not related to one, thank god! Looks like I'll be waiting with the rest of you.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    Might have to take you up on the Matt.....lol

The Good Soldier .. Chances are very, very, slim. And I meet a lot of those requirements still no go . I need a documented case of assault to use myself as well !:D
    As soon as Matt is done with ya call me I will be more then willing to give you a
    a second documented case of assault to use . AS long as your return the favor !:D
    Sucks to Live in Maryland!:mad54:

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The Good Soldier .. Chances are very, very, slim. And I meet a lot of those requirements still no go . I need a documented case of assault to use myself as well !:D
    As soon as Matt is done with ya call me I will be more then willing to give you a
    a second documented case of assault to use . AS long as your return the favor !:D
    Sucks to Live in Maryland!:mad54:

Don't give up. We can still see America from here and visit it with Utah Non-res permit from time to time. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom