• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    https://us15.campaign-archive.com/?e=9ed7123356&u=e8160861866a7acfae2e3ebee&id=cf4c649104

SAF PETITIONS SUPREME COURT FOR REVIEW OF RODRIGUEZ CASE
    Attorneys for the Second Amendment Foundation have filed a petition to the U.S. Supreme Court seeking review of their case challenging the City of San Jose and its police department in a case involving the seizure of legally-owned firearms and refusal to return them.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Red-Flag related?

Q

Don't think at that time there was a ERPO or Red Flag law.

From article.
    Her firearms were seized in 2013 after her husband was taken to a hospital on a mental health issue. A San Jose police officer at the time advised Rodriguez he had authority to seize all firearms in the residence, including those belonging solely to her, which were all locked in a California-approved safe. The guns were seized without a warrant, and over Rodriguez’s objection

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Wow, if he was cleared, then they should have returned the guns to him. Unfortunately, most of these types of seizures have no clear way to give them back to the owner. I am sure there are many more examples of seizures that the owners have given up trying to get back due to no real way to get them back from the LE organization.

Q

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Wow, if he was cleared, then they should have returned the guns to him. Unfortunately, most of these types of seizures have no clear way to give them back to the owner. I am sure there are many more examples of seizures that the owners have given up trying to get back due to no real way to get them back from the LE organization.

Q

Her firearms were seized in 2013 after her husband was taken to a hospital on a mental health issue.

Her firearms were locked in a safe, she was accused of no wrong doing. Her firearms were taken without a warrant and have not been returned.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    This is a clear case of THEFT in my eyes.

It certainly was, as inverse condemnation is prohibited under the US Constitutions 5th Amendment. But if they aren't going to use that mechanism for redress...Well, good luck with defending under the statute.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    You would think not but back when I was in private practice had a case where the MSP upon being ordered to return 34 pistols to my client maintained that they could only return them one per 30 days so as not to violate the law (this was pre-HQL). Assistant AG ultimately backed down when the court date for contempt was docketed.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The police officer in this case should be fired and prosecuted. She should get her guns back and get PAID

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    After seeing the activity in this case, looks like it will be the end of June when we see something 2A related out of the SCOTUS.

A Pro-2A opinion would GVR all (or at least a good many) of the cases being held.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    I really just want to see SCOTUS slap Commiefornia so hard in the ruling that they keep their tails between their legs for the next century. $10 million + actual damages sounds low to me.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You would think not but back when I was in private practice had a case where the MSP upon being ordered to return 34 pistols to my client maintained that they could only return them one per 30 days so as not to violate the law (this was pre-HQL). Assistant AG ultimately backed down when the court date for contempt was docketed.

That's troubling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom