• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    The Old Man is still trying to decide. I have to remind him he'll be 70 soon and he should think about a lighter recoiling rifle. The 30-30, .308, or 30-06 would be where I'd steer him towards. He's hardheaded though.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I shot a .338 Lapua Magnum with both Super and Subsonic ammo at the NFA Review shoot at Leesburg Florida a couple weeks ago! I found it comfortable with the SEG Suppressor that was on the Weapon. The recoil from the Subsonic round was so Mild I thought it was a Misfire! Fabuless Can of Titanium construction, Light and Priced right ! Stealth Engineering Group ...Mike@segsuppressors.com . Worth looking at for sure.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The Old Man is still trying to decide. I have to remind him he'll be 70 soon and he should think about a lighter recoiling rifle. The 30-30, .308, or 30-06 would be where I'd steer him towards. He's hardheaded though.

Unless it is something with a muzzle brake I'd steer him to a .30-30. I am almost half of 70 and I can't imagine shooting a .45-70 at that age. Even if I still couldn't, I can't imagine that situation would last long.

A .30-06 isn't much lower power than a .45-70...in fact a "standard" .45-70 is basically the same energy. Though the hot .45-70 rounds are about 20% more.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Unless it is something with a muzzle brake I'd steer him to a .30-30. I am almost half of 70 and I can't imagine shooting a .45-70 at that age. Even if I still couldn't, I can't imagine that situation would last long.

A .30-06 isn't much lower power than a .45-70...in fact a "standard" .45-70 is basically the same energy. Though the hot .45-70 rounds are about 20% more.

I'm 63 years old, and I'll tell ya..........

I've got three .45-70(s) and even though I've not fired 2 of 'em (1895CB and 1895CBA), that 1895G is my absolute favorite lever gun!!!!!

The addition of a Limbsaver pad and my handloads, makes this rifle (actually a carbine, IMNSHO) a joy to shoot.

My back is messed up again, plus arthritis in my lower spine.

I just REALLY enjoy the .45-70!

This gray-haired old fart's rifle/carbine lineup:
    .223, .243, .308, .30-'06, .300 SAUM, .44 magnum, .45-70 (and maybe one or two I've forgotten about). :D

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    byf43 I feel the same way ...will be 71 in August . I was expecting more Recoil out of that .338 LM I spoke of in post#43. I did not Shoot the .50 Cal Light rifle or the 20mm either! Old Guys Rock....With some Limitations and Lots of WISDOM!

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown

What's the most recoiling gun he's fired? Is he stuck on a lever action or open to other actions? A semi auto in 30/06 or 308 would be easy on the shoulder. If he's stuck on lever guns you could always have him shoot some of the bigger calibers. While I don't have a 45/70 in my collection as of yet, I do have a Rossi 454 Casull lever and a Winchester 444 Marlin lever that both will give the shoulder a workout! Neither are for sale but if your close to me I would be happy to meet up and let him fire off a couple rounds just to get the feel of what he may be in for. Sundays are the easiest for me as I work M-F and every other Saturday. I'm in the Damascus area and usually go to the CRESAP range but they are closed for renovations. If he's open to semi autos I could bring a Remington 742 in 308 and one of my M1 Garands in 30/06. Also I have my old hunting rifle, a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington he could try.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

The .45/70 cowboy loads aren't much...and if you reload, you can go even lighter. To me, cowboy .45/70 are less recoil than .308 or commercial 30-06 :shrug:

Idaho

Dec 10, 2015
    Towson, MD
    I am 70 and shoot 45-70s

I have a 45-70 Marlin CB and 45-70 Uberti High Wall one of which goes to range nearly every time. If you shoot at Hap Baker let me know and he can shoot mine. I also have a .357 Big Boy and a 25-20 Marlin he can try. I love lever guns.

Sleepy

Jan 19, 2013
    You can get a Browning BLR lever action in 300 Win Mag. That'll get the job done. More power and more distance.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    What's the most recoiling gun he's fired? Is he stuck on a lever action or open to other actions? A semi auto in 30/06 or 308 would be easy on the shoulder. If he's stuck on lever guns you could always have him shoot some of the bigger calibers. While I don't have a 45/70 in my collection as of yet, I do have a Rossi 454 Casull lever and a Winchester 444 Marlin lever that both will give the shoulder a workout! Neither are for sale but if your close to me I would be happy to meet up and let him fire off a couple rounds just to get the feel of what he may be in for. Sundays are the easiest for me as I work M-F and every other Saturday. I'm in the Damascus area and usually go to the CRESAP range but they are closed for renovations. If he's open to semi autos I could bring a Remington 742 in 308 and one of my M1 Garands in 30/06. Also I have my old hunting rifle, a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington he could try.

I have a 45-70 Marlin CB and 45-70 Uberti High Wall one of which goes to range nearly every time. If you shoot at Hap Baker let me know and he can shoot mine. I also have a .357 Big Boy and a 25-20 Marlin he can try. I love lever guns.

Thank you for the offer. One fo the many reasons I love being an MDS member.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom