• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eweiser

Nov 24, 2016
    I am looking for info on reloading .308, I have never reloaded before. Very confused when it comes to powder and bullet grain, I am looking to shoot for distance. I have watched a couple of videos on the subject and all have different info. can anyone recommend a book on the subject? Or would it just be better to buy ammo off the shelf?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Since your already here why don't to introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about you. As far as reloading if accuracy is what your after off the shelf ammo will never equal properly reloaded rounds tailored to an individual rifle. You could pick up a reloading manual like the Lee or Hornady or one of several others most have several pages in the front that will walk you through the steps to get you started. Any questions you have you can post here and someone will be along to answer them for you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    By all means introduce yourself here.

But .308 is one of two exceptions in a particular regard. You CAN purchase very accurate ammunition for.308 . Federal Gold Medal Match, Black Hills Match, and IMI Match, all utilizing Sierra MatchKing bullets. If you go full benchrest type procedures, it is possible to slightly improve consistancy, and your rifle might prefer AMax or Berger bullets to SMK. IF your rifle is accurate enough to tell thr difference. ( ie , a 0.5moa rifle couldn't notice the difference between 0.3 and 0.5 loads.)

Added - Opps, found your Introduction from Nov 2016 . through us off since posts in the Introductions Sub forum do add to your post count.

Go ahead and start a thread in Rifles or Ammunition , telling us about your rifle(s), and your accuraccy expectations.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    Pick up a copy of the ABC's of reloading it doesn't have any reloading recipes but it everything you want to know about the process. It's very detailed and will explain everything. And welcome to the community.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    By all means introduce yourself here.

But .308 is one of two exceptions in a particular regard. You CAN purchase very accurate ammunition for.308 . Federal Gold Medal Match, Black Hills Match, and IMI Match, all utilizing Sierra MatchKing bullets. If you go full benchrest type procedures, it is possible to slightly improve consistancy, and your rifle might prefer AMax or Berger bullets to SMK. IF your rifle is accurate enough to tell thr difference. ( ie , a 0.5moa rifle couldn't notice the difference between 0.3 and 0.5 loads.)

Added - Opps, found your Introduction from Nov 2016 . through us off since posts in the Introductions Sub forum do add to your post count.

Go ahead and start a thread in Rifles or Ammunition , telling us about your rifle(s), and your accuraccy expectations.

This...depending on what you want your final outcome to be might sway recommendations.

Nothing beats trigger time, period. Reloading can be time intensive for sure, so if time is limited buy a case or 2 of 175gr Federal Gold Medal Match and go have fun.

Learing wind and DOPE are super important to long range shooting. Heck, I know a guy that built a custom rifle AROUND the 175gr FGMM and shoots better than most who reload.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 110

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Given the constant up-down state of our 2A rights in the country, I would recommend you start reloading sooner than later. It is a fun hobby with a constant learning curve.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    The ABC's of is indeed a good introduction to reloading and there are some Sinclair vids that aren't bad also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8VtjJ_XYDQ

Agreed ABC's is good. I also found this book to be very informative.

fb3da197d93cb1d9e14795946be91e57.jpg

One more piece of advice. Do not be afraid to ask for help. You may get grilled but everyone has to start somewhere.

Just always Remember you can blow up your gun and seriously injure yourself if something goes wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom