• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    While not explicitly an attack on 2A, it sure feels like encroachment.

From a broken bone to a fatal shooting, all 800 police departments in California must begin using a new online tool launched Thursday to report and help track every time officers use force that causes serious injuries.

More telling is the statement from the BLM rep, complete with foregone conclusion:
    Patrisse Cullors, co-founder of Black Lives Matter, said she thinks the new data will show a pattern of abuse across the state. But actually collecting that data is positive, she said.

We live in a culture that perpetuates racism and we need to be able to verify that racism through data,” she said. “For the people who continue to deny racial disparities exist in this country, this data will allow us to have those living room and dinner conversations and share facts.”

The bolded part is a classic case of "begging the question." The statement that follows may be interpreted as "we will mine and cherry-pick data to support the conclusion."

The 2A carries with it the implicit right to use the arms kept and borne. If LEOs are restricted in methods of application of force, you can bet that the same "standard" will be imposed onto the general populace after a few years of re-setting social expectations.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't see how this is encroachment. Are you seriously arguing that the 2A prevents collection of data on lawful use of force? The citizenry should know what police officers are doing in our name to enforce our laws. It's called "transparency", and it's a good thing.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    I would have thought that information was already collected, at least at the department level, and then forwarded to some state agency.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Are you seriously arguing that the 2A prevents collection of data on lawful use of force?

No. But this is chess, not checkers. How do you affect change? Start with a captive group - LEOs - who are subject to policy mandates. Alter those policy mandates using cherry-picked statistics from this nifty new database. After some settling time, it's not much of a stretch to say "Hey, we restrict LEOs on the use of force, we should be consistent and restrict everyone the same way." Common sense, right?

It's not the data collection that bugs me, but the way it's likely to be used. I can see legislators trying to impose "use of force" quotas that match population ethnicity distribution.

"Officer, you have exceeded this month's allotment for use of force against this individual's ethnicity. Please return to the station for retraining."

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    The bigger problem is the data manipulation and assumptions made based on the data.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    DC already does it. It actually is a waste of your money cuz it takes me off the street for an additional hour to complete the paperwork

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    DC already does it. It actually is a waste of your money cuz it takes me off the street for an additional hour to complete the paperwork

I have to wonder if the people reading those reports can keep a straight face after reading how an officer broke their hand on a combative tranny's face while trying to take them in. :lol2:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have to wonder if the people reading those reports can keep a straight face after reading how an officer broke their hand on a combative tranny's face while trying to take them in. :lol2:

Hahahaha I've done it twice once on a juvenile with the worlds hardest skull and the other on a guy. No recent transgender physical encounters but Brad so help me god if you Jinx me!!!!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hahahaha I've done it twice once on a juvenile with the worlds hardest skull and the other on a guy. No recent transgender physical encounters but Brad so help me god if you Jinx me!!!!

Well, I am just slightly older than you - so I can't claim credit for that one.

If by some means I do jinx you, I do apologize ahead of time - but you'll have to burn me a copy of the dashcam footage. And you know I'll have to share it with BafflingBS...

Welder84

Aug 16, 2016
    Central Maryland
    The stats will also collect negative data on good cops working in high risk areas. Think about the all the cops patrolling the ghetto with daily altercations being normal. Statistics are a tool to make people believe any argument the statistician is trying to make. My two cents

Master_P

May 27, 2015
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is interesting... what they conceal is critical.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    This already gos on in maryland. We have to do use of force reports for any use of force or even a perceived use of force if injury is claimed. No matter how minor. I've always thought it was a bit odd that I have to include my race on these reports. It really shouldn't matter but I suppose that's the world we live in. And don't worry, Leo's will continue to use force as we have to regardless of what the mainstream media tries to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom