• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dibbleg

Apr 10, 2012
    Odenton
    Ok, I've got a peculiar situation that I needed some clarification on..Please excuse my ignorance as I'm still trying to understand all these crazy new laws..

A couple years ago, when I married my now ex wife, I switched my residency to Oregon due to my ex being in the military. We moved out to California where she bought an M1A. She got stationed back in MD and gave me the rifle. Fast forward..I moved out and took my stuff, including the rifle and we got divorced. Now as this Oct 1st deadline is fast approaching, I am hurrying to get my MD residency back so i can hopefully not have a problem with that firearm technically "bringing it into the state".. although I've already lived here for a couple years.. Moving a couple times and since the rifle was purchased, I do not know, for the life of me, where the receipt for the thing wandered off to.

So my question is, what am I to do?

I spoke with a guy at my local gun shop and he suggested I get my residency and voluntarily register it with the MSP so I can prove I had it before the 1st.
    Is this the best course of action or am I totally screwed? I absolutely love that rifle and would hate to give it up.

Please help!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    First of all, you will not have give up anything.

Second, get your residence established before Oct 1 and you are good to go. If you want to voluntarily register your M1A, feel free to do so.

MSP, the local police and the county police are not going to go door to door asking to see your firearms and you proof of ownership. And I really do not think the majority of police officers are going to give two hoots about your firearm if you happen to get stopped for speeding while coming/going to the range.

Have I missed anything?

dibbleg

Apr 10, 2012
    Odenton
    I don't think you've missed anything.. I just was't sure if it being a gift between spouses was going to be an issue. I also don't have any written proof that I've had it in my possession since I have no idea where the recieipt or the form is..I guess I'm just being paranoid

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Since it wasn't bought in MD, there is no record of it in MD. I personally, would leave it that way as there is no reason for me (if it were mine) to worry about having to prove when/where purchased.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Sell the M1A to me tomorrow - written contract - and you can stop worrying. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom