• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    16-Apr-12: Had my FTF interview with MSP trooper this morning at my house. The trooper arrived promptly and was very nice and respectful.
    While this sounds nice and convenient for you, it's also a great idea for a trooper who's trying to deny people. Why you ask? By doing the interview in your house he gets warrant-free permission to casually search part of your house. I'm not assuming this particular trooper was doing this, but if he saw something suspicious I wouldn't be surprised if it made it into his report.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    While this sounds nice and convenient for you, it's also a great idea for a trooper who's trying to deny people. Why you ask? By doing the interview in your house he gets warrant-free permission to casually search part of your house. I'm not assuming this particular trooper was doing this, but if he saw something suspicious I wouldn't be surprised if it made it into his report.

I think people look at bit more into this. The Trooper who is given the task of the backround investigating likely could care less if you do/dont get a permit. He's given a task and complete's it and forwards the info.

Now if he walked in and you have drug stuff out and about or the odor of drugs yeah..um...that might get documented.

Short of that...I'm sure he doesnt care if there is a can of Coors opened on the counter when he walks in. Or if you have dirty socks on the carpet that havent been put in the hamper yet.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    I am just curious.
    Actuall, I even don't have my own gun yet. I would like buy a Glock G-17 recently. I am doing some research now. any advice on this gun? Is Gen4 better than Gen3?, Thanks.

In the interest of avoiding thread-drift I'm sending a PM with my $0.02. There are other sections of the forum for asking about weapon preferences, so you would probably get better information searching there.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Hi, folks, I am new here. I am wondering if most of members in this forum are former military or law enforcement personnel?

Cannot speak for everyone and have never asked the question. In my short time here, I would say that this site has a well distributed mix of all types of people, including many who have never served in the military or chosen to be employed by a LE agency.
    Personally, the only LEO that will ever be permitted in my home without a warrant is my best friend, if he makes it to academy graduation (since he won't be a LEO until then).

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

But why is this a concern for you. I think more then 1000 times we keep saying if the criminals can carry, they why not us law abiding citizens? Why would a law abiding citizens have so much to hid from the troopers that letting them into our homes would be a bad thing.

If they learn more about you that is positive and shows that you are a law abiding citizen, it can only improve your chances of being approved for a CCW.

You may want to ask yourself what is it about you that you feel has to remain a big secret from the MSP?

They are more then welcome to come into my home. As a matter of fact I had a friend that is a LEO over this past weekend.

ECPDefense

Jun 30, 2010
    Cecil-Tucky

Ok, let me back up a week when he called to setup the interview. This was a MUTUALLY agreed upon location due to both of our schedules. I didn't have a problem it because I don't have anything in my home to hide from MSP or any other law enforcement agency. I invited him in to my kitchen table. He conducted the interview in a most PROFESSIONAL manner. We even chatted briefly about a trooper with both knew. Who knows, he may even contact him about me. If he does, great, he knows the type of person I am. Again, I have nothing to hide.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Cannot speak for everyone and have never asked the question. In my short time here, I would say that this site has a well distributed mix of all types of people, including many who have never served in the military or chosen to be employed by a LE agency.

Personally, the only LEO that will ever be permitted in my home without a warrant is my best friend, if he makes it to academy graduation (since he won't be a LEO until then).

Why do you feel that way?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Well yes it could be, and why would there be something suspicious in your house? Are you a law abiding citizen, or are you just technically a law abiding citizen because you haven't got caught yet?

Mr H

Banana'd

There was one other I recall reading early on where the trooper came out to the house, and the interview was done on the front porch.

Seems to be a 'happy medium' to me to do it like that.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Ok, let me back up a week when he called to setup the interview. This was a MUTUALLY agreed upon location due to both of our schedules. I didn't have a problem it because I don't have anything in my home to hide from MSP or any other law enforcement agency. I invited him in to my kitchen table. He conducted the interview in a most PROFESSIONAL manner. We even chatted briefly about a trooper with both knew. Who knows, he may even contact him about me. If he does, great, he knows the type of person I am. Again, I have nothing to hide.
    If you reread what I said, I said that I did not assume the trooper was trying anything sneaky, just that some could if they wanted to.

For everyone else, maybe I'm just a private person, but I don't like when people are busy looking through my stuff. No I don't have anything to hide, other than the fact that I'm lazy sometimes and leave my range gear in the front hall when I get home (and no, no children in the house who could get into anything). And other than speeding 5-10mph over, no I'm not some secret criminal who doesn't have a record only b/c I haven't been caught.

My only concerns are about personal privacy and are the similar to the ones that others have had about their medical records. What if the trooper sees some book, movie, video game, etc on your shelf/table and decides that raises a red flag. Parts of the federal government have decided that some conservative groups should be on their possible terrorist watch lists, who's to say the MSP wouldn't try something similar.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    If you reread what I said, I said that I did not assume the trooper was trying anything sneaky, just that some could if they wanted to.

For everyone else, maybe I'm just a private person, but I don't like when people are busy looking through my stuff. No I don't have anything to hide, other than the fact that I'm lazy sometimes and leave my range gear in the front hall when I get home (and no, no children in the house who could get into anything). And other than speeding 5-10mph over, no I'm not some secret criminal who doesn't have a record only b/c I haven't been caught.

My only concerns are about personal privacy and are the similar to the ones that others have had about their medical records. What if the trooper sees some book, movie, video game, etc on your shelf/table and decides that raises a red flag. Parts of the federal government have decided that some conservative groups should be on their possible terrorist watch lists, who's to say the MSP wouldn't try something similar.

Dude, MHO your really reaching. If the trooper was going to turn you down because of a video game he saw on your coffee table, He may not like the color of your eyes and just say that he saw the video game that is often played by people on the terrorist watch lists. Wait...I have to go now I think someone is wire tapping me.

Speaker2Wolves

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2012
    Well yes it could be, and why would there be something suspicious in your house? Are you a law abiding citizen, or are you just technically a law abiding citizen because you haven't got caught yet?

Ask any lawyer and they will tell you that it's almost impossible to be a law abiding citizen. There are just too many laws on the books for anyone to NEVER have violated one of them.

Did you know that using fluoroscopic shoe fitting devices is illegal in Montgomery County?

Have you ever gotten a parking ticket? Parked without turning your wheels to the curb? You're obviously a notorious law breaker, although I doubt anyone will come looking for you.

The point is, better safe than sorry. And hey, that kilo of heroin under the coffee table? I'm just holding that for a friend.

LongTom

Jan 13, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    But why is this a concern for you. I think more then 1000 times we keep saying if the criminals can carry, they why not us law abiding citizens? Why would a law abiding citizens have so much to hid from the troopers that letting them into our homes would be a bad thing.

If they learn more about you that is positive and shows that you are a law abiding citizen, it can only improve your chances of being approved for a CCW.

You may want to ask yourself what is it about you that you feel has to remain a big secret from the MSP?

They are more then welcome to come into my home. As a matter of fact I had a friend that is a LEO over this past weekend.

The man is concerned about recent alarming 4th amendment violations that have been plaguing our country recently. Allowing an officer into your home basically amounts to giving up your 4th amendment rights, willingly. I know this is a shitty outlook, but unfortunately, in this day and age, we have to play that game. The police are not your friends, even if they're good people. They're there to do a job.

Also it's LARGELY about disparaging treatment. Whatever they need to know about YOU or ME can be found in their criminal databases. If there is an item in your house the trooper finds "inappropriate," first, it's none of his damn business unless he's conducting a criminal investigation. Secondly, it's inappropriate for him to then use that item behind your back to deny your permit, which he will do. He'll make his recommendation to the board, and they'll deny you. You'll never know that it was the reason. You'll never know that you were discriminated against.

The whole reason we fought for this is DUE to disparaging treatment. We don't need discrimination in a different form, now that we've gotten rid of the first one. If you're a felon, no permit. If you have a clean record, permit issued. It's as simple as that.

TL DR - Personalized "home interviews" are subjective and leave way too much leeway for abuse of power and discrimination based on officer opinion.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Ask any lawyer and they will tell you that it's almost impossible to be a law abiding citizen. There are just too many laws on the books for anyone to NEVER have violated one of them.

Did you know that using fluoroscopic shoe fitting devices is illegal in Montgomery County?

Have you ever gotten a parking ticket? Parked without turning your wheels to the curb? You're obviously a notorious law breaker, although I doubt anyone will come looking for you.

The point is, better safe than sorry. And hey, that kilo of heroin under the coffee table? I'm just holding that for a friend.

Sure, I understand they can do that. And I bet they often do when for whatever reason you are in their sights because that think your up to no good.

But these troopers that are doing these interviews could not care less if you get your CCW or not. any one of us are not that important to them where them coming to our homes is some kind of big plot to find any reason at all to keep us from getting a ccw.

They do not have to go through any of that if they want to keep you from getting your ccw. They have their "we know it when we see it" way of doing business and you either meet it or not.

it not a case of, 'this guy Joe has self defense on his app and it is a very good reason so we better go to his house so we can find anything to stop this from happening.

It's just a job to the troopers we deal with. Now if for whatever reason you were someone that they were concerned about even before you put in an app for a ccw, they will take a very close look.

But I think if I have to be concerned with them coming to my home I will also start putting on the tin foil hat when I'm out in the yard so the government can't read my mind.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I was interviewed on my porch at the trooper's suggestion. It was a nice warm day in mid-March and I have a bench on my porch and he said let's sit out here. I would have invited him in but he wanted to sit outside.

And, I honestly don't see the issue with this. I would invite any LEO in also. It's not like I'm going to mistakenly forget to put away my mobile meth lab.

Who cares, as long as they are not REQUIRING they enter your home, whats the difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom