• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Probably why you are seeing the black compacts frames on sale right now.. new colors are about ready to fly.. ;)

I was surprised to find the Coyote on sale for $119. Trigger and sights are on their way. I hope I like the Meprolights. Got the slide from Dan at Baltimore's Best Pawn. Thanks Dan!:thumbsup:

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    I was surprised to find the Coyote on sale for $119. Trigger and sights are on their way. I hope I like the Meprolights. Got the slide from Dan at Baltimore's Best Pawn. Thanks Dan!:thumbsup:

Thank you, we always appreciate the business.

Midway has the Polymer80 version 1.5 standard frame for $60. Is there a version 2.0 coming that I should wait for?

We still have a few Gen 3 19 slides available and a Gen 3 17 slides too.

MikeV

Apr 15, 2017
    Midway sale

Midway has the Polymer80 version 1.5 standard frame for $60. Is there a version 2.0 coming that I should wait for?

I've built both p80 glock frames...the Spectre aka pf940 v1 or 1.5 as well as the pf940C. The Spectre is a G17 sized frame and the pf940C is a G19. The Spectre is the initial pistol frame offering from Polymer80 and the pf940C is the second (and MUCH improved) offering. The biggest difference between the two is that the newer version has steel slide rail modules front and back. The Spectre, which is the one currently on "closeout" ie deeply discounted has a steel slide module for the front, but has polymer rails for the rear (and these rails are part of the 20% that you the builder must finish).

Many sideline critics complained about the polymer rear rail and speculated about their longevity. Many builders, myself included, have thousands of rounds through their glockensteins without issue.

Polymer80 addressed these complaints as well as the criticisms of the styling and ergonomics with the release of the pf940C. It is widely believed that the v2.0 version of the Spectre will incorporate many of these improvements. I sure hope so!

But should you wait? I bought my first Spectre before the election, at full MSRP...$149. NO buyers remorse here!! The current price is such a bargain that I really can't think of a good reason not to jump on it! If you think you're gonna want v2.0 then this is good practice. If you ever think you'd like to build a 1911 then this is a walk in the park, for the 1911 really is about gunsmithing with all the fine tune fitment required. The much easier filing and fitting required the the Polymer80 builds will build skills that make each subsequent build easier.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV

I am not sure of this, but my understanding is that people are hoping that an improved version of the Polymer80 comes out for the G17. Maybe, just maybe, this is why Midway is getting rid of the older inventory. Just my two cents.

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    I've built both p80 glock frames...the Spectre aka pf940 v1 or 1.5 as well as the pf940C. The Spectre is a G17 sized frame and the pf940C is a G19. The Spectre is the initial pistol frame offering from Polymer80 and the pf940C is the second (and MUCH improved) offering. The biggest difference between the two is that the newer version has steel slide rail modules front and back. The Spectre, which is the one currently on "closeout" ie deeply discounted has a steel slide module for the front, but has polymer rails for the rear (and these rails are part of the 20% that you the builder must finish).

Many sideline critics complained about the polymer rear rail and speculated about their longevity. Many builders, myself included, have thousands of rounds through their glockensteins without issue.

Polymer80 addressed these complaints as well as the criticisms of the styling and ergonomics with the release of the pf940C. It is widely believed that the v2.0 version of the Spectre will incorporate many of these improvements. I sure hope so!

But should you wait? I bought my first Spectre before the election, at full MSRP...$149. NO buyers remorse here!! The current price is such a bargain that I really can't think of a good reason not to jump on it! If you think you're gonna want v2.0 then this is good practice. If you ever think you'd like to build a 1911 then this is a walk in the park, for the 1911 really is about gunsmithing with all the fine tune fitment required. The much easier filing and fitting required the the Polymer80 builds will build skills that make each subsequent build easier.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

I am not sure of this, but my understanding is that people are hoping that an improved version of the Polymer80 comes out for the G17. Maybe, just maybe, this is why Midway is getting rid of the older inventory. Just my two cents.

Thanks guys! That was the feedback I was looking for.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Many are awaiting a V2 release of the 17 frame. I like the 19 frame, not really a big fan of the original 17 frame and I'm not sure if I'd build a 17 even when they release the new version, whenever that will be..

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I've decided to become Glock-a-zied [or is it Glock-a-sizzled?] - swore I'd never own one, but 80% is too good to pass up.

I'm looking at the Glock 19 PF940C 80% frame and the slide assemblies from Baltimore's Best Pawn. I assume I need a lower parts kit & magazine.

For those that have completed this and AR15 lowers, which is easier?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I've decided to become Glock-a-zied [or is it Glock-a-sizzled?] - swore I'd never own one, but 80% is too good to pass up.

I'm looking at the Glock 19 PF940C 80% frame and the slide assemblies from Baltimore's Best Pawn. I assume I need a lower parts kit & magazine.

For those that have completed this and AR15 lowers, which is easier?

You are correct and you may want sights. ;) I haven't purchased mags yet, but will probably get them in DE. BBP has a Zev trigger so you might want to get that and springs when you get the slide.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Has anyone seen any actual info from Polymer80 regarding upcoming releases? Their website and facebook pages do not mention any.

The new colors of the compact frame just appeared on Brownell's as an exclusive. But I did not see any prior announcement by Polymer80.

I am just wondering if the rumors of other models are just speculation being repeated.

Last edited:

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Is this right? The Glock 19 Gen4 (I have an original one) will not would with the newer Polymer80 pf940C frame. I would use the entire slide and barrel from the G19 Gen4 on the Ployner80, so I would not have to buy one. What say you please? Other comments welcomed too.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The PF940C frame is only compatible with Gen 1-3, NOT Gen 4. The slide is different on the Gen4 and won't work with the P80 compact frame. ;)

It is this way so as not to infringe on any active patents by Glock.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Has anyone seen any actual info from Polymer80 regarding upcoming releases? Their website and facebook pages do not mention any.

The new colors of the compact frame just appeared on Brownell's as an exclusive. But I did not see any prior announcement by Polymer80.

I am just wondering if the rumors of other models are just speculation being repeated.
    All I have seen is... "it's in the works", which is the same answer to other similar product update questions that they answer from time to time on social media... no idea what that means.. lol They did mention a while back that colors of the Compact would be out in a few months, that was a couple of months ago, so they may be carried by more than just Brownells shortly (I suspect)...

MikeV

Apr 15, 2017
    gen4 slide on poly80

Is this right? The Glock 19 Gen4 (I have an original one) will not would with the newer Polymer80 pf940C frame. I would use the entire slide and barrel from the G19 Gen4 on the Ployner80, so I would not have to buy one. What say you please? Other comments welcomed too.

I haven't done this, so I can only report what I've read elsewhere...
    Because the gen4 has a larger diameter recoil spring assembly, the front dust cover and the frame channel that this spring fits into is larger than the gen3. However, vendors sell an adapter that will allow the fitment of a gen3 recoil spring in a gen4 slide. Using such an adapter, as well as clearancing the frame (and maybe even reducing the dimensions of the gen4 dust cover) will permit the use of a gen4 slide in the Polymer80 frames. Should be the same for the Spectre as well as the pf940C. I'll try to come up with a link...

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Because the gen4 has a larger diameter recoil spring assembly, the front dust cover and the frame channel that this spring fits into is larger than the gen3. However, vendors sell an adapter that will allow the fitment of a gen3 recoil spring in a gen4 slide. Using such an adapter, as well as clearancing the frame (and maybe even reducing the dimensions of the gen4 dust cover) will permit the use of a gen4 slide in the Polymer80 frames. Should be the same for the Spectre as well as the pf940C. I'll try to come up with a link...
    The frame or slide have to be significantly modified to fit the P80 frame. There will be little meat left up front, from what I saw posted here somewhere when relieving the frame for the front of a Gen4 slide, as it is significantly larger than the Gen 1-3 slides. Not to say it can't be done, but not worth it for me, nor would I want to cut down the front of a perfectly good gen4 slide and I would worry that the walls are going to be really thin at the front of the slide if you inlet it for clearance for a gen4 slide, because of the relief for a weapon mounted light on the frames.

MikeV

Apr 15, 2017
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    The frame or slide have to be significantly modified to fit the P80 frame. There will be little meat left up front, from what I saw posted here somewhere when relieving the frame for the front of a Gen4 slide, as it is significantly larger than the Gen 1-3 slides. Not to say it can't be done, but not worth it for me, nor would I want to cut down the front of a perfectly good gen4 slide and I would worry that the walls are going to be really thin at the front of the slide if you inlet it for clearance for a gen4 slide, because of the relief for a weapon mounted light on the frames.

No argument here, just pointing out that some intrepid souls will indeed explore boundaries. As I've told several of my friends all caught up with full race builds, if you want a reliable gun that works with the least amount of tweaking, start with Glock factory parts (gen3 of course!)

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

Apparently due to the Picatinny rail on the bottom, there is not enough plastic in the distance cover to relieve it for a Gen 4 assembly.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Well, I'm ready to drill the holes in the PF940C - ugh. I never drill perpendicular holes, even with the drill press. Yes, I suck at drilling.

I chose to go the hand file route instead of attempting to use the end mill. It just seems like overkill. The videos of milling out the
    barrel block are ... interesting ... and something I wanted to avoid.

Took about 2 hours of filing, checking, filing. But I wanted to go slow to avoid any obvious screw-ups. After the drilling, I intend to use high grit sandpaper to finish the rail tab removal.

This will be my first "modern" handgun since 2013 - and I don't need an HQL for it.
    Now I'm thinkin' it'll be a lonely Austrian 9mm and it should have some friends speaking the same language... :innocent0

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Way to go Mom! Here's a simple suggestion.. get another set of eyes to help you drill the holes. You only have to drill partway through til you hit the space in the center of the frame, the rear pin hole for the locking block is the only 'tricky' one, as it only partially drills a small portion of the frame, so it can walk if you aren't careful. Drill one side, then flip it around the other way and drill from the other side. Don't drill all the way through from just one side...

Two sets of eyes can help you by allowing you to look down at the drill as you line it up, be sure it's straight, not canted right or left, the other person looks from your side, one or the other and verifies that you have it vertically aligned properly before you drill. There is a little room for error, but not much. Take your time and be careful and you'll be fine. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom