• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I've done many transfers at msp barracks....of course regular hours, and not during rush hours.... not during morning or evening, that is their busiest times.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    Do not accept any answer that handgun transfers are only done on certain days or certain hours. Be firm and tell the troopers that you understand that this registration available at all hours, (except when they are overwhelmed with an on-going operation like a vehicle pursuit that demands the dispatcher's full attention.)
    i've had a trooper decline to do a transfer on the grounds that he had no idea what he was doing and the trooper who was well-versed in transfers would be back in an hour, so come back then.

...seemed reasonable enough to wait.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    i've had a trooper decline to do a transfer on the grounds that he had no idea what he was doing and the trooper who was well-versed in transfers would be back in an hour, so come back then.

...seemed reasonable enough to wait.

Aren't all troopers trained on the new procedure (sic), therefore he should have done the transfer.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Question I have been wondering about. I have never done a transfer at the MSP. The dealers require a 4473 to be filled out as well. Does the MSP?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Question I have been wondering about. I have never done a transfer at the MSP. The dealers require a 4473 to be filled out as well. Does the MSP?

No. Just 77R. Dealer typically does a 4473 to hold onto the gun during the wait period (or as a formality for entering the gun transfer into their ATF logbook). MSP does not hold onto the gun, the seller does.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Is there a thread with the step-by-step for doing an MSP barracks handgun transfer? I've done a fair few post-MDFSA2013 handgun transfers, but always at a gun shop.

From another thread on transfers, I wrote this:

All the paperwork is now done online for both parties, and you will need to have a credit card to present at the barracks for the $10 transfer fee. They DO NOT accept checks or Money Orders as they used to. The MSP will accept a credit card from either the Buyer or Seller for the $10.

The Buyer of the pistol needs to go online (on their home laptop or internet connected phone) to the Maryland State Police website and click on the Regulated Transfers. Follow the instructions to create a user name and password that will be connected to the documents you have to deal with online. (Keep in mind the password will expire in a month or two and you will not be able to use your favorite User Name and Password combo in any future deals)

The Buyer completes the transfer and eligibility docs by filling in the blanks and clicking on yes/no buttons. When you get to the Seller's section, you will need to fill in that person's info if they wish to give it to you. Or, you can give that person your User Name and Password so they can access the docs and fill in their part on their own computer. Or just bring a laptop to the barracks (connected to your own WiFi) and hand it over to the Seller to complete his or her portion.

Once completed you will get an email confirmation that your app is complete, along with a code number. The code number is what the Trooper at the barracks needs to access your online app so he can fill in the firearm info on a barracks computer.

When you arrive at the barracks you make your first contact with the Desk Trooper and the firearm STAYS IN THE SELLER'S TRUNK. (Important: If the Buyer is inspecting the Seller's firearm for the first time in the parking lot at a barracks meet-up, do so in the passenger compartment and keep the firearm BELOW the windshield so as not to alarm anyone. If the firearm is inspected in the trunk, do NOT lift it out of the trunk into public view but use the trunk as a screen while is is inspected)

The Buyer will need to have his or her HQL and Driver's License available to hand over to the Trooper at this stage, as will the Seller. Remember, DO NOT BRING THE FIREARM INTO THE BARRACKS YOURSELF WITHOUT PERMISSION. WAIT FOR TROOPER INSTRUCTIONS ON THAT. Please know that when Buyer and Seller hand over their Driver's Licenses in the first step, the Trooper is going to run your names for warrants.

After that, the usual course is the Trooper walks out to the Seller's vehicle ONLY with the Seller to retrieve the firearm to bring it into the barracks to do the firearm portion of your app on their computer. (The Buyer STAYS PUT in the barracks because the Trooper can get nervous about being jumped by a second person in that walk to the parking lot.) Sometimes they tell the Seller it is OK to retrieve a CASED firearm from the Seller's vehicle and bring the CASED FIREARM in and hand it over but that is the exception. And for God's sake, make sure the Seller checks it to confirm that the firearm is not loaded and that there is NO ammo in the case.

As noted earlier, the Seller will have to hand over his or her Driver's License to the Trooper, and sometimes they demand to see the Seller's HQL, which is dumb because only the Buyer needs an HQL for this transaction. Don't sweat it...the Seller will just hand over his or her HQL if they have one.

After the Trooper has done his part he will say he has completed the app paperwork online and the Seller will take the firearm home to await the Not Disapproved email notifications that will go to both the Buyer and Seller on the 8th day at 6am. It will give the all-clear for the firearm to be handed over at a location of the your choosing--it does not have to be the barracks. The Seller will receive an email asking for a reply confirming that the transfer has occurred.

As for how to handle the Buyer's payment to the Seller, the most prevalent arrangement is for the Buyer to hand over cash to the Seller when they meet up for the firearm handoff after 7 days. Demands for any other arrangement could be a red flag for a Buyer.

After the handoff, the Seller responds to the MSP email that asks when the transfer occurred.

You are all done.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Yeah, that's basically the same process from the old paperwork forms. The only difference is the forms are now electronic. It's why I didn't understand why you had to go back the barracks and give them the firearm or your info again. If they ask for proof, I get that, but it's not required for the physical transfer. I would still comply with their request. I understood you had to go to the barracks before submitting the transfer forms. I guess you did it out of order.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Aren't all troopers trained on the new procedure (sic), therefore he should have done the transfer.

Why would they? There might be a Detective SGT or 2 there at any given time, and they are in their office working and not "manning a desk". A barrack Commander is not going to do it. So you might get a road Trooper who stopped in for something and relieved the "desk guy" for a few minutes to go run out real quick. Nothing wrong with that.

You think you can just flag a Trooper down on the side of the road, ask him to meet you at a barrack and do paperwork?

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Why would they? There might be a Detective SGT or 2 there at any given time, and they are in their office working and not "manning a desk". A barrack Commander is not going to do it. So you might get a road Trooper who stopped in for something and relieved the "desk guy" for a few minutes to go run out real quick. Nothing wrong with that.

You think you can just flag a Trooper down on the side of the road, ask him to meet you at a barrack and do paperwork?

Did you read the advertisement from MSP, stating all of their troopers will be trained on the new system?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Anyone authorized to be "in charge" at the barracks--even for a smoke break--should be trained up on the process. They may just be freaked out by never having done it and defer to the "regular" guys. Part of this may have to do with the fact that a lot of troopers have never handled firearms beyond the one they have as a duty weapon and are intimidated by the process of determining make & model, serial number location, and barrel length of firearms they have never personally handled

Once, on an AR-15 transfer a trooper logged the rifle as having an 8 inch barrel because that is what he saw coming out of the handguard! (Had to get that corrected quick). Or with revolvers, they get confused with a part number on the crane vs the serial number for the gun. If the trooper looks stifled but is too proud to ask for help, just step up and declare the barrel length and serial number location.

The message is this: I have sometimes waited 10-15 minutes, and once 40 minutes, but IT GOT DONE.

Tell the trooper you will wait, take a seat and stare at them through the glass. In a few minutes they will call you up for the process. Never fails.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Did you read the advertisement from MSP, stating all of their troopers will be trained on the new system?

LOL sure. I have been trained on crap that I never had to do before and would be better that someone else did it.
    Never had to do any "online training" before have you? You think they actually scheduled Troopers into physical classrooms and "trained them up"? LOL

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    LOL sure. I have been trained on crap that I never had to do before and would be better that someone else did it.
    Never had to do any "online training" before have you? You think they actually scheduled Troopers into physical classrooms and "trained them up"? LOL

My post was tongue-in-cheek. The civ lady at Pikesville, specifically told me all troopers will be trained. I replied, yea.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    this was prior to the new procedure, admittedly, and i wouldn't argue with you then or now. but in the moment, it wasn't really worth the debate.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    All,

Went to the Glen Burnie Barracks by the airport Royal Farms. Arrived at 7:30pm, gave the information on the 77R Online submission and PIN, DL and HQL along with CC for payment, seller brought in the firearm after being told to do so by officer. Process took 15 minutes since we were the only ones in the Barracks. We were done by 7:45pm. Trooper was polite, and quick. Definitely a good experience.

Q

I have done several transfers at the Glen Burnie Barracks and all of them went very smooth. It is my preferred MSP barracks to do MSP transfers.

I have had mixed results at Golden Ring and Waterloo barracks.

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    I have done several transfers at the Glen Burnie Barracks and all of them went very smooth. It is my preferred MSP barracks to do MSP transfers.

I have had mixed results at Golden Ring and Waterloo barracks.

Agreed. I typically bypass Waterloo and go to Glen Burnie. I waste less time with the extra drive time than I do getting turned away at Waterloo for one of their many excuses.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Another + for the Troopers at the Glen Burnie Barracks. In and out (with a handshake from the Sgt!) in about 15 minutes today. Very polite and professional.

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    No. Just 77R. Dealer typically does a 4473 to hold onto the gun during the wait period (or as a formality for entering the gun transfer into their ATF logbook). MSP does not hold onto the gun, the seller does.
    I've been looking for this info. Thanks for posting it!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom