• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    If you spun the fan and it started, chances are it is the capacitor. If the cap cant gain enough juice to make it start, then the fan wont spin.

Trick is finding which cap you need.

I got mine at AIRECO, not sure, but looks like they arent open tomorrow. Some other places care certain ones. They had the best overall selection (mine was a weird combo)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Gee thanks, After reading this thread, my 2nd unit for my 2 older boys is on the fritz.
    Fan was not running, manually spun it up with a ruler. But I can't hear the compressor running either.
    Its newer Puron type unit
    Main home unit is running fine though.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    A wholesale place that deals with contractors may not sell it to you just based on their own policies.

They are cheap enough that changing them pre-emptively is a good idea.
    I really like the idea of preemptively replacing them or keeping spares around. It always seems like they blow at the worst of times (4th of July weekend when everything is closed and the waiting list for service is over a week).

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I really like the idea of preemptively replacing them or keeping spares around. It always seems like they blow at the worst of times (4th of July weekend when everything is closed and the waiting list for service is over a week).

The guy who takes care of my commercial HVAC measures capacity after 5 years and replaces if below iirc 80% of rated.
    They fail on a hot day because the electrolyte boils out with heat. Just enough to kick a marginal one over the ledge.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    The guy who takes care of my commercial HVAC measures capacity after 5 years and replaces if below iirc 80% of rated.
    They fail on a hot day because the electrolyte boils out with heat. Just enough to kick a marginal one over the ledge.
    This is good to know stuff! Why wait until stuff breaks to fix it? Test it and replace, or after 15 years simply replace it.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I keep an extra capacitor and di-pole contactor switch on hand...

I'm not really as concerned about the cost of a service call as the house not having cooling for the kids and dog...

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    Wouldn't you know it but tonight at dinner time I notice it feels warm in the house. Check the T-stat and, sure enough, 79 degrees and climbing. Head outside to pull off the cover on the condenser unit and, yep, the capacitor is grenaded. This story has a fortuitously happy ending though. Just 9 days ago I ordered a spare capacitor and it was just delivered yesterday. I cannot believe my good fortune. I should probably go buy a lottery ticket. About 15 minutes and back up and running.

Time to buy another capacitor.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I just paid $335 a couple months ago for parts & labor to have the capacitor and breaker switch replaced at a rental property on the Eastern Shore. Wish I'd known the capacitor secret before then.

Are the capacitors one-size-fits-all, or do I need to go over and check the specs? Have two units and tech replaced just one capacitor. Will order an extra -- or two. Also, are there capacitors on the inside units, too, or just outside?

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I just paid $335 a couple months ago for parts & labor to have the capacitor and breaker switch replaced at a rental property on the Eastern Shore. Wish I'd known the capacitor secret before then.

Are the capacitors one-size-fits-all, or do I need to go over and check the specs? Have two units and tech replaced just one capacitor. Will order an extra -- or two. Also, are there capacitors on the inside units, too, or just outside?

If the indoor blower motor is a PSC (very common) it will have one also but they seem to last much longer. Wouldn't hurt to keep a spare though. If you don't mind spending extra, Amrad USA made caps are high quality.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD

Disclaimer: I am NOT an HVAC professional or electrician.

They are not one size fits all so you have to check first which is quite easy. When the unit is off and properly disconnected, there's generally a plate/cover that you remove on the outdoor unit to expose the wiring connections. The capacitor is pretty obvious but try googling for youtube videos even on your specific brand/model. The capacitor is a little smaller than a beer/soda can and will be rated with 3 numbers on it's label. For example, mine was rated at 45 + or - 5 uF (or MFD) at 370 V. So, 45/5/370. There's likely a model number you can google or search on AMazon as well. Remember, capacitors can still retain stored energy after disconnecting so you need to know your way around. But, that's the replacement part. Identifying what model/type your capacitor is shouldn't require any electrical work at this point.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    If the indoor blower motor is a PSC (very common) it will have one also but they seem to last much longer. Wouldn't hurt to keep a spare though. If you don't mind spending extra, Amrad USA made caps are high quality.

For something as critical as this is and as cheap as they are, seems like the best quality is a no-brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom