• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    I've had this one on the back burner for a while and finally started making some head way on it. I'm going to keep a "traditional" classy look with a carry handle and all.

Do any of you know of a stainless gas block or front sight base?

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpg
      IMG_0327.jpg
      75.6 KB · Views: 418

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Probably looks better this way...

Attachments

• ar15polished.jpg
      ar15polished.jpg
      32.3 KB · Views: 408

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Nice! I really like the wood on polished! :thumbsup:

There are SST gas blocks out there, you can google them...

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    love the wood, saw one at the fredricksburge va gun show something like 800.00 for the stock and it wasn't perfect to rich for me. sorry cant help ya with the s/s parts. how about powder coating ?

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    No problem... and I also like the wood against the polished parts...

(Out of context thread here I come...:D )

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    I've thought about polishing a regular steel block/sight and clear powdercoating it or just throw it in the booth at work with automotive clear but I'm thinking that'll burn off

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    The more I think about it, when I go to take this to the range for the first time I'll need a tuxedo and a '63 Lincoln continental...

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    They are going to be harder to find, since the std FSB's are usually finished from a casting. Your best bet may be to see if you can have one plated..

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    You might look into ceramic coating (think Jet Hot.) I had some mufflers coated for my motorcycle several years ago, and was talking to the same place about getting the valve covers powder coated since they did both. (Thermal Tech Coatings in Hopewell, VA, there may well be other places nearer now.) They said it would cost less and look better if they also ceramic coated the valve covers. I painted in the lettering after I got the back.

Attachments

• vc.jpg
      vc.jpg
      59.1 KB · Views: 293

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    You might look into ceramic coating (think Jet Hot.) I had some mufflers coated for my motorcycle several years ago, and was talking to the same place about getting the valve covers powder coated since they did both. (Thermal Tech Coatings in Hopewell, VA, there may well be other places nearer now.) They said it would cost less and look better if they also ceramic coated the valve covers. I painted in the lettering after I got the back.

I'll have to look into that, definitely like the thought! I have a set of ceramic coated headers on my falcon and that coating doesn't seem to mind heat

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Pimptastic!
    Actually looks surprisingly good. Did you clear coat the aluminum to prevent oxidation?

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    Pimptastic!
    Actually looks surprisingly good. Did you clear coat the aluminum to prevent oxidation?

Thank you, I'm just hitting it with the occasional hand polish. If I clear it, it'll be more for keeping fingerprints, smudges and light scratches under control. I'm trying to keep from clearing it because I'm sure it'll chip up all over the shell deflector

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Thank you, I'm just hitting it with the occasional hand polish. If I clear it, it'll be more for keeping fingerprints, smudges and light scratches under control. I'm trying to keep from clearing it because I'm sure it'll chip up all over the shell deflector

I think cerakote makes a clear coat finish now? If so, it may be worth looking into.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you put a piece of velcro or felt on the deflector it won't get chipped up.. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom