• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Dp stock that was drilled and beat to hell. Sectioned a piece from a sported donor stock and oak doweled patched to bottom of mag well. Acra glassed some 3/4 tapered oak dowels to match the barrel channel where they bored through the upper handgaurd and stock.
    I might do the same thing to the upper hand-guard if the rest doesn't turn out so bad. Maybe the copper rivets in the HG can be seen in the picture.
    I dont know how this one is going to turn out, but it beats the junk stock forgotten plastic drum in the corner of the barn.
    Looks like Criterion barrels sells a barrel through DGR, or maybe I should quit now, its going to be hard to blend all that going on together.
    IMG_0221 - Copy.JPG

Buckeye_Nut

Jun 15, 2017
    Waldorf
    I have a Pattern 14 that I would be willing to part with. But I will follow the rules and not list in classified until I have sufficient post count. So where did you acquire this rifle?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I bought it online from a guy in Minnesota during a parts hunt specifically for the stock even though it was in poor shape and nearly a give-away. Another member had a stock that worked out better so I ended up with this one.
    Felt it a shame to let it waste away so it was turned into a project.
    Just did some rough shaping and it may not turn out bad for a shooter rifle. Ill have to do some dye mixing/ blending to hide the different wood species and weld some pits on the bottom metal but it will turn out OK when its dressed up.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    IMG_0226[2002].jpg Getting close, but there's going to be a whole lot-ta blending going on. The old time armorers could get hairline fit and made excellent repairs.
    I guess in our country we could just cut more trees down and not worry about it. Just replace the whole thing. At least this one is solid and not as much pretty but its worth it I guess, its fun to try.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    IMG_0259.JPG Little at a time some progress. Those little engraver lines once flattened out with a round piece of steel or glass will hopefully blend right in with the scraped original shaping of the wood and help make the 3/4 hole that was drilled through the HG and stock good for a shooter rifle.
    M1917 Hg's are plentiful and cheap but I decided to save the original just because mechanically the repaired area is probably as strong as to what was there in the first place.
    Plus they are a little bit different with copper rivets and a slightly different barrel stub profile.
    You can also see the DP marked parts with the stamps removed, and lightly blasted with, uh um.....coffee grounds and that with a little peening with a 4oz. hammer and Arkansas stone, made them go away.
    Theres two ggod tricks in here for those who like to bring battered stuff back from the dead, Coffee grounds and an electric graver to make your acra glass jell look like wood after you bone it out some.
    Some time or another when DGR gets around to it, I should have a brand new CBI barrel to play with next.

IMG_0260[2095].JPG

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    IMG_0285 (2).JPG Reassembled the rifle after fitting everything back together. CBI barrel turned right up beautifully without a hitch with bolt feeling slight resistance before .074 and brass crawled forward at the shoulder .008

The barrel was advertised as being short chambered but I got lucky and didn't need a reamer, the butt of the barrel was also generously machined for a post Weedon bolt which did however leave a lot of rim support left to the extractor claw.
    The crown, threads and machine work were very well done and the only complaint is that the transition for the barrel reinforce was sharp but that's getting picky although the twisted up handgaurds still fit without to much contact at the ring and were tight at the front in the band and good pressure at the stock pad.

Fitting the barrel was the easiest part of the project. It will be interesting to find out how the beat up stock will react to field/sling use, only shooting will tell. I'm sure it will need additional bedding adjustment due to its age but that's part of the fun of bringing old junk back from the dead. Besides, a stock will turn up at some point or another and there's no mechanical issue with the one it wears but cosmetically its rough as a Cobb.
    This one was not, a cost effective project but very enjoyable to do nonetheless.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Wow! Gotta say I didn't think it would look that good. Let me express congratulations on your patience and appreciation for your skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom