• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Braintrust-

Looking for recommendations on a 20 gauge clay shottie for my wife...she's 5'4. First time I took her out for Trap (many years ago) she used my Ithaca Featherlite 12g and it didn't seem to bother her too much--she shot reasonably well. Fast forward many years later. I've tried to get her interested in joining me back out on the local Trap range--all I have for her to use is is a 12g Weatherby Orion O/U. She's been very frustrated at her lack of success in breaking the clays. I am hoping that getting her a right sized fit firearm would be one step in a process that would lead to better performance and increased desire to join me on the range. What say you all?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I think you broke most forum rules when you post the word "hottie" we assume pictures are locked & loaded .:innocent0:lol2:

How do you expect us to make recommendations with little information . ;)

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Braintrust-

Looking for recommendations on a 20 gauge clay shottie for my wife...she's 5'4. First time I took her out for Trap (many years ago) she used my Ithaca Featherlite 12g and it didn't seem to bother her too much--she shot reasonably well. Fast forward many years later. I've tried to get her interested in joining me back out on the local Trap range--all I have for her to use is is a 12g Weatherby Orion O/U. She's been very frustrated at her lack of success in breaking the clays. I am hoping that getting her a right sized fit firearm would be one step in a process that would lead to better performance and increased desire to join me on the range. What say you all?

When my wife was in the market for a shotgun she litterally shot 20-25 different guns to try them out. We went to several differnet public traps shoots and the bust fest at AGC. We just asked people if she could shoot a round with their shotgun to try it out.

She finally settled on a 12 gauge Remington 1100. It fit here great and the recoil is almost non existent.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I’m in the same boat, I’d love to take my girlfriend trap shooting but she’s 5’ nothing and my shotguns are most of the size of her and the length of pull is nowhere close. Been looking at one of these for a cheap try it out gun:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/maverick®-youth-20-gauge-pump-action-shotgun

Haven’t tried it yet so can’t say for sure but I bet it would be a good fit for someone that size

My ex was 5' 2" and maybe 100 pounds. She shot this 20 gauge Charles Daly I used to have. When we got rid of it she shot my 391 in 12 gauge and did fine.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Pintail Point in Queenstown rents guns. Perhaps take her over there and see what they have available.

JDH146

jdh146
    Dec 26, 2009
    Remington 1100 youth is a great gun but I don't see it as a current production gun .Used are running $800 on the major auction sites and are scarce.
    The following link has an SKB compact adult/youth with an adjustable length of pull from 12.5"-13.75" for $950. http://www.herosarms.com/compact_adult.htm

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Tristar sporting. I got the 12ga for my wife. Great gun.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190216-093247_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20190216-093247_Chrome.jpg
      57.2 KB · Views: 273

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I have a Mossberg silver reserve ii in 20 gauge. It is a decent little shotgun. My fiancé is 5’3”-4” and she doesn’t seem to have any issues with it.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    My ex was 5' 2" and maybe 100 pounds. She shot this 20 gauge Charles Daly I used to have. When we got rid of it she shot my 391 in 12 gauge and did fine.

Was the length of pull any shorter? My gf is probably 100 pounds soaking wet and she’s strong but just can’t seem to hold up and take the recoil of my regular sized shotguns (I’m 6’ 1”). I can tell it’s not fun for her just seeing that she’s uncomfortable with a gun that’s too big. Sure she could have a little better technique but that’s hard to do with something that’s just too big for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom