• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    You know, Same Old S***

I kept getting put in the "five days wait zone" every time I bought a firearm, waiting for the federal instant check guys to get back to the FFL and tell him I wasn't a danger to the Republic.

So, I applied for and got a federal UPI...supplied all the necessary paperwork, fingerprints, even a copy of a page from my U.S. passport.

Assumed the next time I walked into a gun store and bought a rifle, I'd walk out with it a few minutes later.

Nope...gun dealer gave the feds on the phone my UPI and he was told I'd have to wait the five days...again.

Anyone with a similar experience who knows what to do about this? I'd write a nastygram to the wonderful folks in Clarksburg, West Virginia, but...that would just get me on the 10-day wait list. :)

Thanks for any assistance...

moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    Sorry...UPIN is a Unique Personal Identification Number you get from the FBI. I forgot the "N" at the end. You get one by filing a Voluntary Appeal File. I did all that, and it didn't help. My guess is that somewhere there is someone else named "Moose&Squirrel" that someone in the FBI thinks is a code name for "Boris&Natasha" and I obviously am a Russki spy...or something like that. It's easy to joke about it, but it is annoying.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I don't believe there is a universal background check license. You have to do the seven day wait, not five, regardless of UPI(?). Is the UPI used for the Pre-Check at airports?

Q

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    I don't believe there is a universal background check license. You have to do the seven day wait, not five, regardless of UPI(?). Is the UPI used for the Pre-Check at airports?

Q
    I suspect he is referring to being delayed for rifle purchases. I have the same problem. Every time I buy a rifle the background check comes back delayed and 2 to 3 days later it clears, so I have to make a return trip to the FFL. I've checked into the UPIN thing too but haven't gone through the process.

moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    Do you know why you are being delayed ?

I haven't a clue. There was or is a guy with the same name as mine who had some sexual offender offenses, but he is half my age, much heavier, et cetera. At my age, my sexual offenses only occur in my mind, and only with women of age. :)

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    There are some things about MD that I miss but that is not one of them. I walk in a gun shop find a gun give them my CCW Permit fill out the 4473 once the results are back. I walk out the door with the gun. I think Md makes it so inconvienent to buy a gun with hopes that it will lower the number the of sales. All it did in my case was make me move out of the state.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This isn't a Maryland thing, it's a Federal thing .

But that is unusual , everyone I know with a UPIN had no more delays .

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    +1

Imho, if you substitute vote vs buy a gun, every court in the land would call it a violation of the right and a poll tax.

If course gun folks understand that, and Scalia, gorsuch and Thomas have explicitly said so.

Nature rights guarded by the 2nd amendment are now 2nd class.

Preaching to the choir. Sorry.

I used to have the exact problem, and my name is not a common one. I got a UPIN about 10 years ago and my problem went away. I no longer use the UPIN because whatever flag used to go up no longer does.
    Sorry I can't help.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    +1

Imho, if you substitute vote vs buy a gun, every court in the land would call it a violation of the right and a poll tax.

If course gun folks understand that, and Scalia, gorsuch and Thomas have explicitly said so.

Nature rights guarded by the 2nd amendment are now 2nd class.

Preaching to the choir. Sorry.

Well maybe after Brett Kavanaugh is seated and Trump gets to replace Ginsburg things will change.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I appreciate you posting this info. I have the same problem. My background check comes back "pending" every time. I just might try the UPIN to see if it works for me. It is irritating. I have a common name too.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I haven't a clue. There was or is a guy with the same name as mine who had some sexual offender offenses, but he is half my age, much heavier, et cetera. At my age, my sexual offenses only occur in my mind, and only with women of age. :)

Read this on my phone but not logged in so it has ads, there was an ad with a pic of Hillary, amused me.

moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    Just for kicks, I sent a brief letter off to the FBI office in West Virginia that handles this and asked for an explanation of the delays. If I get a response, I'll post it here.

Sorry...UPIN is a Unique Personal Identification Number you get from the FBI. I forgot the "N" at the end. You get one by filing a Voluntary Appeal File. I did all that, and it didn't help. My guess is that somewhere there is someone else named "Moose&Squirrel" that someone in the FBI thinks is a code name for "Boris&Natasha" and I obviously am a Russki spy...or something like that. It's easy to joke about it, but it is annoying.

Laughed so hard at that reference.

Nice post by the way. Had no idea the UPIN thing even existed, but I've also fortunately never had a delay. But now I know for the future. Hopefully you can get it resolved

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom