• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    OK, I've put these kits in all of my M&P's including two .45's, a full size and compact, and a .40 full size and compact, they work great and I'm a satisfied customer.

So here comes my brand new 9mm M&P Shield... I got the Apex kit in and everything went according to plan...sort of....:sad20:

On the M&P pistols in order to replace the striker block (called the plunger on a Glock) you must partially drift out the rear sight, this went well on the other 4 M&P's that I own, but the sight on the Shield just won't budge and I basically buggered up a brass punch real bad trying, the damn thing just won't move, and I don't want to try using a steel punch which is sure to F*** up the slide and rear sight.

It's not that big of a deal really, the other parts made a big difference in the pull weight, and brought it down from around 7 to about 5 lbs. or a bit less, and I can live with that, but if anyone has any suggestions that would allow me to drift out the rear sight without using Blunt Force Trauma, I'd sincerely appreciate hearing them. Thanks!

wowmattsays

Oct 4, 2016
    So here comes my brand new 9mm M&P Shield... I got the Apex kit in and everything went according to plan...sort of....:sad20:

On the M&P pistols in order to replace the striker block (called the plunger on a Glock) you must partially drift out the rear sight, this went well on the other 4 M&P's that I own, but the sight on the Shield just won't budge and I basically buggered up a brass punch real bad trying, the damn thing just won't move, and I don't want to try using a steel punch which is sure to F*** up the slide and rear sight.

I'll second this issue! I installed all the components in this kit on my 9mm Shield, and I love all the changes so far, but i could NOT get the rear sight to budge one bit. I definitely did not want to f*** up the slide either! If anything comes of this, I am definitely interested!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Maryland Gun Works rear sight tool, less than a set of replacement sights because you used the wrong tool for the job. ;)

Make sure to buy the one specifically for the Shield variant.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I'll second this issue! I installed all the components in this kit on my 9mm Shield, and I love all the changes so far, but i could NOT get the rear sight to budge one bit. I definitely did not want to f*** up the slide either! If anything comes of this, I am definitely interested!

Strange that the brass punch worked just fine on 4 other M&P's, but the Shield seems to be a particularly tough nut to crack, I wonder if that's just a peculiarity of the Shield series..?? I don't think I'm going to drop $120 on a rear sight tool just so I can get another 1/2 lb lighter pull, it's running right @ 4.5 to 5 lbs. with the other parts alone, that's good enough for my purposes, and I'll just live with it. Thanks guys.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I installed the whole Apex kit in my M&P Shield 9mm. Rear sight was a bugger but I got it out. I am sure you know it only goes out one way and back in the same way. Perhaps cheaper to farm that last task out to a gunsmith with a sight tool? No other advice sorry, except the kit itself is definite improvement.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    If you decide to put better sights on, you'll need the same thing. Decide now before you do anything. Might as well get them done together. By the way, the Apex USB is more about smoothness rather than pull weight. It does make a difference.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I installed the whole Apex kit in my M&P Shield 9mm. Rear sight was a bugger but I got it out. I am sure you know it only goes out one way and back in the same way. Perhaps cheaper to farm that last task out to a gunsmith with a sight tool? No other advice sorry, except the kit itself is definite improvement.

Left hand side of the slide to the right, at least that's the way I did it with my other 4 M&P's, and that's the way Apex's own instructional videos show it. No dice, it won't budge, and I guess I just got the Shield with the rear sight pressed in there by the Devil himself...:D Anyway, as I've already said, the other parts did make a big difference over the factory setup, and overall I'm happy with the results.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I have an M&P sight tool here in Rockville...

Very kind of you to offer.

I should have mentioned earlier in this thread that in addition to the Apex kit I also installed a Wolff 4 lb. striker spring, and the combination of parts I managed to install really did make a big difference in the Shield's stock trigger pull and smoothness, so getting the rear sight out to install the Apex striker block & spring is not a high priority for me at the moment. Thanks to all that replied for your input, suggestions, etc. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom