• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Well that's reason enough right there for me to get one, Hickok45 is the MAN, and one damned fine pistol shot.

Anyway, the G27 is only a tiny bit smaller overall than my S&W 40C (which I really like btw) so I don't think I'd find it too small, and I would be adding Pearce or some other brand of mag floorplates with the finger extension, so I think the grip will fit my hand just fine. Add a 9mm conversion barrel and some G26 mags and you've got two guns in one, so I like that as well. Thanks for all the comments and opinions.

While it's not much larger overall, the differences make It much easier to shoot and carry, my early model M&P 9c sits in the safe(pretty much waiting to trade for something), while I carry my G27. The slide feels much smaller, and the front of the slide/dust cover are slimmer, more rounded and more comfortable in a holster. The G27 grip is smaller, but the aggressive texture, finger grooves, and higher grip angle make it easier to control, the M&P's grip is slippery by comparison out of the box, and it has more muzzle flip. My M&P was an early model, it went through a trigger spring recall, 3 striker and 2 sear housing changes to overcome light strikes and sear flutter, think it's reliable now, but it has misfired on me in the past before I upgraded the parts a couple times. My G27 has never misfired with the factory 9rd mags, it did jam occasionally with hot XTP loads in G23 mags(never with FMJ or my HTP carry load) That was fixed with wolff +10% mag springs, swapped them in, never missed a beat for the few thousand rounds since.

As far as grip extensions, they are practically a requirement (and included from the factory) for the M&P, more muzzle flip, and a slippery grip makes it hard to control with flat mags. The G27 is OK with flat base mags, Peirce extensions help, but add length, and feel goofy with the short backstrap. GAP floorplates are the way to go, no added length, they hook into a 2 finger grip(pinky wrapped underneath), and make it more secure to draw and make it much easier to strip out a stuck mag. If you must have a full 3 finger grip, X-grips on G23 mags give 4 more rounds, and add to the backstrap, they are very comfortable, slightly larger than peirce extensions, but still smaller than a G23 grip.

There is only 1 "conversion" I would trust with the G27, and that is a factory G33 barrel to fire 357sig if so inclined. 9mm conversion barrels require another set of mags, and are not as reliable, might run OK, might need an extractor, ejector housing or a full slide assembly to run well pretty much eliminating any potential cost savings. In the end a complete caliber conversion that is "self defense reliable" with ejector and slide assembly with a couple mags costs $400 or more, close enough to the cost of a new pistol it isn't really worth it. If you are worried about recoil, aren't sold on 40, or even if you are on the fence, buy a 26, there is a little overlap in performance/recoil with hot 9mm+p and light 40 where there isn't much difference between the calibers.

Attachments

• 20160926_082158.jpg
      20160926_082158.jpg
      58.9 KB · Views: 92

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    There is only 1 "conversion" I would trust with the G27, and that is a factory G33 barrel to fire 357sig if so inclined. 9mm conversion barrels require another set of mags, and are not as reliable, might run OK, might need an extractor, ejector housing or a full slide assembly to run well pretty much eliminating any potential cost savings. In the end a complete caliber conversion that is "self defense reliable" with ejector and slide assembly with a couple mags costs $400 or more, close enough to the cost of a new pistol it isn't really worth it. If you are worried about recoil, aren't sold on 40, or even if you are on the fence, buy a 26, there is a little overlap in performance/recoil with hot 9mm+p and light 40 where there isn't much difference between the calibers.

I wouldn't use a conversion of any kind for "self defense", that being said I'm running 9mm conversions in my Gen 4 G22 and G23 with virtually 100% reliability, even with pretty lightly loaded handloads. The only change I make (aside from the barrel & mags) is replacing the stock .40 to a 9mm ejector, which is recommended by most "conversion gurus" anyway, and this setup runs both 9mm and .40 like a champ for me. FWIW, I don't have anything like $400 in these conversions, more like $160 to $175, a hundred for a barrel, $25 ea. for mags, and $13 for a 9mm ejector which can be swapped out in like 3 mins. flat. I know not everyone is a fan of conversions, and maybe I've just been lucky, but they've run extremely well for me with my particular guns, and it's essentially given me the versatility of having "two guns in one" at about a third the cost of buying a whole new gun, besides, if you buy a 9mm you're stuck with one caliber, it can't ever be "up-converted", that's why I always buy the .40, both Glock's and M&P's, that way I've got the option if I want to do a caliber conversion. For my purposes (banging steel and poking holes in paper) these conversions were an easy decision. For self defense I've got my unconverted G21.... :D

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    So ... you knew the answer to your question, it seems. Enjoy.

Also seems as though the thread went in the direction of caliber conversion reliability ... what is 100% reliable for self defense, to stir the pot :)

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Nothing in life is 100% guaranteed except death and taxes.

The caliber conversions have worked well for me for my purposes, which is target/recreational shooting, since I'm the only person I have to convince that they are a worthwhile addition for that purpose, I'll just leave it at that.

As for the G27, the jury is still deliberating and I haven't made a firm decision one way or the other. If I do get one I'll most likely get some Pearce +1 mag floorplates as this will put the grip length more on par with my M&P 40C which fits my hand very comfortably, oh, and of course... a 9mm barrel... :lol2:

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the feedback. Peace, out.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Being a tax slave in Maryland, I don't carry. But I do own a G22 and G27. I'm much more accurate with the 27 than the 22. The 27 is more comfortable to hold and shoot. About 2 thousand rounds through it. I like shooting it. Just have to be careful not to pinch the pinky when slamming a mag home. Took me more than one blood blister to learn that. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom