• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Sorry if this has already been discussed, if it has I honestly didn't see it. Can I ship a "banned' rifle out of state to have repair work done on it then have it legally shipped back to me after Oct. 1..??

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sorry if this has already been discussed, if it has I honestly didn't see it. Can I ship a "banned' rifle out of state to have repair work done on it then have it legally shipped back to me after Oct. 1..??

Yes you can ship a banned rifle out for repair and get it back after Oct 1.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Yes you can ship a banned rifle out for repair and get it back after Oct 1.

One caveat: I shipped a S&W 460 XVR to Smith for warrantee work. They ended up replacing the frame. Since this changed the serial number, it was required to come back to an FFL (who even charged me a transfer fee!). Not a big deal, althought the fact it cost me a transfer fee kind'a pizz'ed me off. If the work involved requires replacing the action, there could be a potential issue. Not saying there will be, but since you can't transfer a banned firearm....who knows.

Last edited:

cmecha

Feb 10, 2009
    If requires transfer it is a new weapon and you will probably not be able to receive it. not a lawyer but seems like common sense.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    Was curious about that myself although my situation would be a bit more involved than repair.Was going to send out a kit I have for a refinish and assembly.Of course I own the receiver already but the assembly of the parts and then reshipping the gun back is a concern especially considering the fact I had planned on using the mag as a 922r compliant part.Don't have "Md compliant" mag for it come Oct 1. Don't want to be in a grey area in regards to ownership,manufacture of a banned firearm,or shipping of a mag at or greater than 20rds even though I have owned for years in this assbackwards state.Fine with crossing state lines and legally purchasing mags,just not wanting to risk shipping my own property back to me.May just send the kit off for a refinish and assemble myself and save the time and aggravation.At last check there was about an 8 month to one year wait list for assembly anyway.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Was curious about that myself although my situation would be a bit more involved than repair.Was going to send out a kit I have for a refinish and assembly.Of course I own the receiver already but the assembly of the parts and then reshipping the gun back is a concern especially considering the fact I had planned on using the mag as a 922r compliant part.Don't have "Md compliant" mag for it come Oct 1. Don't want to be in a grey area in regards to ownership,manufacture of a banned firearm,or shipping of a mag at or greater than 20rds even though I have owned for years in this assbackwards state.Fine with crossing state lines and legally purchasing mags,just not wanting to risk shipping my own property back to me.May just send the kit off for a refinish and assemble myself and save the time and aggravation.At last check there was about an 8 month to one year wait list for assembly anyway.

Unless they completely replace the receiver in the kit, you are good to go. Same with magazines owned before Oct 1, they are grandfathered as well and can be sent for repair.

Lemon328i

Mar 21, 2010
    I suspect you could also request they engrave the replacement receiver with the same serial number since they will be destroying the original anyway. It might take a little longer to get back but it would be much less hassle than suing the state for taking your property without compensation.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Unless they completely replace the receiver in the kit, you are good to go. Same with magazines owned before Oct 1, they are grandfathered as well and can be sent for repair.

I wouldn't expect most repairs to lead to replacing the receiver. However, as a result of my experience, and given we didn't know what repair was needed, I thought I'd raise the (unlikely) possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom