• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MykR0k

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 13, 2020
    I'm thinking about moving my reloading bench into our garage which is unconditioned. As typical Maryland weather goes, it gets hot and humid during the summer and damn cold and dry in the winter. I have a Dillon 550 and all the paraphernalia, powders, dies, supplies, etc. etc. etc.

I'm fine working at a bench in less favorable conditions but has anyone had problems, storing and reloading in unconditioned space?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm thinking about moving my reloading bench into our garage which is unconditioned. As typical Maryland weather goes, it gets hot and humid during the summer and damn cold and dry in the winter. I have a Dillon 550 and all the paraphernalia, powders, dies, supplies, etc. etc. etc.

I'm fine working at a bench in less favorable conditions but has anyone had problems, storing and reloading in unconditioned space?

I'm no reloading guru, so take this for what it's worth-

My main concern would be the meter-ability of some powders given the high humidity summer brings along. There may be more important concerns others may be aware of...

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Meh... My stuff is out in the shed. I just keep it out of direct sunlight.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would store my powder and primers either in climate controlled space or in a sealed container.

And yes, in high humidity, you might get variable powder drops.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I had all my reloading equipment in a shed when I lived in Georgia. I stored the powder and primers indoors, and tried to only load during cooler times of the day. Not for the powder/primers per say, but more because of creature comfort. Other than loading a lot more in spring, fall, and winter than I did during the summer, there were no problems.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    If you put your stuff (reloading equipment) in a shed in Maryland, it is going to develop surface rust on the unpainted/unprotected metal areas. Trust me I know. The humidity here in the summer can rust stuff that has no air circulation.

I used to reload .50BMG and my powder dispenser and press eventually developed surface rust.

It wasn't rusted to the point where I couldn't use it but I had to use steel wool to knock it off and then oil to keep it from coming back.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    ^This is exactly what I experienced with my Lee progressive press, surface rust on every unpainted part. It was a constant battle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom