• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    My stretch goal is the 991a. It’s really the max I can budget right now and I think it’s still portable enough to take camping should I want to.

991A is a great radio I love mine, can't go wrong there.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    The Pitcairn Island DXpedition is still running on all band. I have 10, 15 and 17m so far. Trying on 12m now.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I went with the 991A. It arrived this afternoon and I just got it set up. In already had my HF antenna strung in an inverted V in my attic and I’ve been monitoring the HF bands using SDR for a few weeks.

I downloaded HRD, watched some you tube videos on how to use it and figured I would see if I could make any contacts. We’ll I was pretty surprised I made two CW contacts from TX and one from Slovenia in about 30min.

I’m trying to make some PSK contacts but I think I’m doing something wrong in HRD 780. Also realize I’m not familiar enough with the audio signatures of the various digital modes to know how to properly respond.

My Roofing guys are now scheduled to come next week so I can finally get my UHF/VHF antenna setup outside.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I wouldn't buy a radio today without a panadapter/waterfall display like the TS590. They are so nice to have. You can see at a glance what's happening on a band.

This is the one thing I was concerned about. Since I've been monitoring the HF Bands with since my antenna has been up and decoding CW and other Digital transmissions with my SDR, i've gotten quite used to seeing such a wide spectrum at a glance.

The FT-991A does not have an IF Output for a panadapter. However when I was researching the options I discovered this Github Project where a guy made some simple modifications to the radio to tap a diagnostic scope RF output inside of the radio to create is own IF Output. He's documented various stages of development on QRZ.com. Basically he inerted a gutted RTL-SDR into the radio chassis and tapped the RF signal after the internal radio filters. He added his own custom interface PCB board designed to fit into the chassis as well. Then he figured out how to replace the internal 2-port USB Hub IC with a 4-Port IC. This enabled him to tap the RTL-SDR into the FT-991A USB circuit without having to add an additional external USB port to the back of the radio.

While obviously making these types of modifications would clearly void the warranty, I'm an adventurous person and in the spirit of ham modifications to their equipment, I'm going to do it. However I'm going to stop short of replacing the board mounted USB Hub IC, while I have the equipment and I could probably do it, It's just too far outside of my soldering comfort zone considering that even the smallest error could send the 991 up in smoke.

I just ordered the PCB boards and surface mounted components as well. since the boards are ordered from a prototype place it cost $11 to buy 5 and $15 to buy 20 boards. I ordered 20 of them so if anyone else has an FT-991 or 991A and wants to take a crack at this modification to add a pan adapter functionality just let me know, and your more then welcome to have one of the extra boards.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    Congratulations! Check out some of the local nets if you can and go for the General soon while the information is still fresh. Like others have said a lot of the material is the same as the Technician test. Hope to hear you on the air!

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Listening to some contesting yesterday on 20 meters. When a contact was made the DX would say 5-9-8. Then the DE would give the state they were in.

What is 5-9-8. The 5-9 I get but 8?
    Might have been me, fi-ni-eight a couple thousand times

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Congratulations! Check out some of the local nets if you can and go for the General soon while the information is still fresh. Like others have said a lot of the material is the same as the Technician test. Hope to hear you on the air!

Unfortunately work will not let me take the time to take my General test until just after the first of the year.

I've been monitoring several of the nets for a few weeks, so I'm fully up to speed on that end. I even know who will likely be my first contact on Tuesday morning when my call sign is posted on the FFC site, based on where I will be at the time.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    My parts arrived Thursday. I managed to build my Panadapter Board.

bf1c8d282fd05024b199c75423c83117.plist

This is the first time I’ve built a board since I had Lasik done a few years ago. Wow, I’m not used to working with +4.0 glasses and looking through a magnifier. I need to figure out how to test this thing before connecting it to the radio.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    TWO WEEKS!!

Yup, you heard right: Two weeks until the next FREE licensing exam session at the National Electronics Museum in beautifully industrialized Linthicum!

Date/Time:
    Tuesday, November 26 / 5:45pm

Pre-registration info:
    https://sites.google.com/site/marylandmobileers/ve-testing

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandmobileers/ve-testing/map

Plenty of time to cram and finish studying for your Tech or your upgrade.

ToolAA - probably time for your XX3XXXstroke AE. ;)

Meantime, if you're ready now, they are administering exams in Laurel this Saturday:
    https://calendar.google.com/calenda...DAwWiBtYXJ5bGFuZG1vYmlsZWVyc0Bt&ctz=GMT-05:00

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    TWO WEEKS!!

Yup, you heard right: Two weeks until the next FREE licensing exam session at the National Electronics Museum in beautifully industrialized Linthicum!

Date/Time:
    Tuesday, November 8 / 5:45pm

Pre-registration info:
    https://sites.google.com/site/marylandmobileers/ve-testing

I think you meant to post Nov 26th.

I’m studying for AE but it sure is a lot harder than Tech/General. Right now I’m scoring 65-67% on practice tests so I’m still a bit away from feeling confident. However a lot can happen in 2 weeks so you might see me there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom