No H4350 on hand...what's the best alternative?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Whiffy scored me this Mark V Altitude (6.5 CRDM) for Christmas, as I had been wanting a lightweight rifle. I don't have any H4350 but got some Varget, RL-15 and IMR 4350. The rifle has a 22" bbl., and I'm going to use a 123 grain SST in favor of the heavier 140 class pills for swamp donkeys around here. Which would be the best powder to start with for this configuration?

Attachments

• thumbnail (10).jpg
      thumbnail (10).jpg
      110.3 KB · Views: 800

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Try reloader 16 or 17. I would go with the slightly faster burning reloader 16 with the 22 inch barrel but the 17 is almost a direct replacement for H4350. Just my 2c

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    any of the powders you list will work with 123sst. The shorter barrel, as noted by previous posters, favors a slightly faster powder. A good friend of mine swears by RL16 in his creed but i know a few others that hunt the round (instead of long range match use) and they generally opt for RL16 or faster. Varget and RL15 are popular for 120-140s. a quick review of notes from a Krieger barreled CZ550 hunting rifle I helped a friend work up (I don't own or shoot a creed personally) says that varget and h4350 both topped out at around 2950 with Nosler 120s. Kriegers are known to be fast (my two sure are) so take this with a grain of salt and work up slowly. He worked up RL15 and got to the same speed but had less vertical shift with temp change so he went with that. Plus it's not as "popular" as varget and h4350 so it's always on the shelf at his LGS.

nice christmas gift. that lady is a keeper.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Thanks all for the replies. All things considered, I think I'll check one more local source for H4350 or RL-17 and if no luck, I'll work up my first charge ladder with Varget. I'll reserve my RL-15 for it's regular duty in my 6.5 x 47L.

The rifle eeked out .66 MOA with some Sig Sauer factory fodder, so I'm hoping to get it a bit tighter and take it out this weekend. Now, all I need are the dies and my comparator case from Midway!

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Thanks all for the replies. All things considered, I think I'll check one more local source for H4350 or RL-17 and if no luck, I'll work up my first charge ladder with Varget. I'll reserve my RL-15 for it's regular duty in my 6.5 x 47L.

The rifle eeked out .66 MOA with some Sig Sauer factory fodder, so I'm hoping to get it a bit tighter and take it out this weekend. Now, all I need are the dies and my comparator case from Midway!

That's a very good group for a new rifle. 100yds?

One very nice rifle!! :thumbsup:

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    That's a very good group for a new rifle. 100yds?

One very nice rifle!! :thumbsup:

Thanks. Yup it was 100 yards. If it holds under a minute at 200, I'll be happy. It's my "close quarters" gun in the thick woods, so I'm not too worried if it does not perform like my crop damage rigs across the soy bean fields!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom