• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    About 4:15- 4:30 while I was sitting in my stand hunting in Cecil county, I heard some other booms from hunters, single shots here and there off in the distance. However one BOOM really stood out. I dunno, it sounded louder and more boomy than a slug gun and Cecil is a rifle county, so I decided someone must be hunting with a .50BMG just cuz they can. LMAO, I don't know really...but it gave me a laugh.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Well, it would cut down on the steps, shoot and quarter at the same time :)

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Highly impractical. Largely improbable. Perhaps a 300 or even 7mm mag or something similar.

Hunting with a 50 BMG round is a very long distance proposition and the hydrostatic shock to the meat would render much of the carcass inedible...IMO of course. It might even cause the corpus delicious to "part out" on the spot.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    seems like it would be quite a waste.

From the Google search:

doe_192yds.jpg

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Use to hunt with a guy that would use a marlin 45-70 or a ar .50 beowulf

Could be one of those. I saw a pic of a coyote being shot with what the guy said was a .50, probably the Beowulf, and it was literally shot in half. Though he never said which .50- maybe was .50BMG!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Highly impractical. Largely improbable. Perhaps a 300 or even 7mm mag or something similar.

Hunting with a 50 BMG round is a very long distance proposition and the hydrostatic shock to the meat would render much of the carcass inedible...IMO of course. It might even cause the corpus delicious to "part out" on the spot.

This is what I was going to say. My .300 Win Mag has a distinctive deep boom to it compared to a .30-06 or .270 Win. I know some guys that do long range hunting with a .338 Remington Ultra Mag and .300 Remington Ultra Mag. They are generally taking 800+ yard shots and they have it filmed on camera. The shots are insane.

Hunting with .50 BMG would be insane, but I can see somebody using it for 1,000 yard shots. The probability of it being a .50 BMG though is pretty slim. Lots of gun to lug into the field.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    None of this is any reflection on FoxTrapper. I'm glad she shared what she heard. In the woods, after listening and watching so hard, it's often a shock to hear or see something way out of the ordinary. Especially a big boom when you least expect it. I just hope no one is actually hunting in that part of MD with a BMG. At least in the mountains you have more chance of some rocky real estate stopping that big old bullet.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    This is what I was going to say. My .300 Win Mag has a distinctive deep boom to it compared to a .30-06 or .270 Win. I know some guys that do long range hunting with a .338 Remington Ultra Mag and .300 Remington Ultra Mag. They are generally taking 800+ yard shots and they have it filmed on camera. The shots are insane.

Hunting with .50 BMG would be insane, but I can see somebody using it for 1,000 yard shots. The probability of it being a .50 BMG though is pretty slim. Lots of gun to lug into the field.

It would literally blow the deer up........... patch of fur here, patch of fur there......

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    None of this is any reflection on FoxTrapper. I'm glad she shared what she heard. In the woods, after listening and watching so hard, it's often a shock to hear or see something way out of the ordinary. Especially a big boom when you least expect it. I just hope no one is actually hunting in that part of MD with a BMG. At least in the mountains you have more chance of some rocky real estate stopping that big old bullet.

I was outside this evening unloading firewood from the truck and I heard a bang just before 5:00. Coming home from a fieldtrip yesterday, I was able to watch the side of route 32 for deer and noticed that one of my neighbors at the end of my street has a deer stand in his backyard. The bang sounded like it came from just down the street, so guessing it was him. This county is shotgun only, but that bang sounded pretty loaded. Probably because I was not expecting it and was caught completely off guard.

Me, I am glad Foxtrapper posts whatever she posts. This forum is a forum for discussion, knowledge, chatter, and BS, in no particular order. If she believes it was a .50BMG, who am I to say it wasn't, since I wasn't there to hear the boom. All I can say is that it is improbable, but not impossible. Maybe somebody has a problem with saplings in shooting lanes and decided that a .50BMG was the way to cut right through that problem.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    OK, it was probably just a .300 win mag or 45-70! In fact my first thought was .300 win mag, then I started being silly and thinking .50BMG. I mean...I was bored. Was sitting there around 2 hours seeing only squirrels, a dove, and some chickadees...and hearing the screeching white noise of I95 alternated with freight trains. I was getting a lil cold. Well, you know, usual deer hunting boredom...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom