• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Looking into getting a .308. S&W M&P .308 is nice and light.Pencil barrel is a concern for heat. A Sig is $300 more and a lot heavier but gets good reviews. Anyone have experience with either?

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    The S&W "compliant" one has a heavy barrel with 5R rifling for the same price. It has a fixed stock though. SKU 811310.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I am going with the Ruger SR7.62. I like it and the price is real nice for all it has. Hickok45 has done a video on it, he was impressed.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I have the sig and have no complaints other than I expected less battle rattle from a gun with this price tag. It s stable once you get your balance with it but to tell you the truth, the more I play with it,the more I regret not getting a scar instead.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I see Armalite also makes a newer model that takes 3rd party mags so that is now an option as Armalite mags are expensive. Found one for $1199 shipped so not too shabby. Lot's of people tell me to go with the original maker for what that's worth. Will look into the Ruger and DPMS also. Going to go with 16" for weight I think. Bad back makes the Sig a heavy gun or I'd jump on one for $1599 this weekend sale.
    Windham is also an option now, didn't know they made one.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I see Armalite also makes a newer model that takes 3rd party mags so that is now an option as Armalite mags are expensive. Found one for $1199 shipped so not too shabby. Lot's of people tell me to go with the original maker for what that's worth. Will look into the Ruger and DPMS also. Going to go with 16" for weight I think. Bad back makes the Sig a heavy gun or I'd jump on one for $1599 this weekend sale.
    Post the link to share with others. That's a great price.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    go with the SR762

That rifle had all it's kinks worked out in the 5.56 version.

It's piston driven, reliable as they come, and EXTREMELY accurate.

The only problem I have with it is it only comes right now in a 16 1/2 inch barrel.

I am going to grab one when they release the 18 inch barrel length.

Seriously though- they are incredible. They take Pmags, hammer forged thick chrome lined barrel, piston system designed to be self cleaning and built from the ground up to have no carrier tilt issues, adjustable gas system for use with ANY .308 or 7.62x51 ammo and is accurate as the day is long

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD

If weight is an issue, go with the ruger.

The SR-762 is about as heavy as a stamped AK, which is quite light for a .308 battle rifle.

Hickok45 did a video on it, you should view it.

I saw one for sale at a York PA gun shop. I was surprised how easy it was to go from standing to kneeling to standing ready positions. The gun is just WAY lighter than you would expect, and the barrel contour is no slouch, it's actually quite thick.

To tell the truth I was going to just bite the money bullet and save for a SCAR until I held that rifle.

It's just... It's just so awesome.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    If weight is an issue, go with the ruger.

The SR-762 is about as heavy as a stamped AK, which is quite light for a .308 battle rifle.

Hickok45 did a video on it, you should view it.

I saw one for sale at a York PA gun shop. I was surprised how easy it was to go from standing to kneeling to standing ready positions. The gun is just WAY lighter than you would expect, and the barrel contour is no slouch, it's actually quite thick.

To tell the truth I was going to just bite the money bullet and save for a SCAR until I held that rifle.

It's just... It's just so awesome.

It's only about a pound lighter than the Sig, but that does ad up. The Smith is another pound lighter and cheaper but I do know Ruger's CS is superb. Will have to check it out. The $1599 Sig sale ends tomorrow if anyone is looking. I think the Ruger is in that price range. I'll look for the Hickock video. Thanks!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I am going with the Ruger SR7.62. I like it and the price is real nice for all it has. Hickok45 has done a video on it, he was impressed.

He did a video on the S&W also and said it was his favorite. And it's cheaper. So many choices.

Sirex