• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The "oh, they're doing it because of the MHS program" chatter is so completely off the mark that it really makes me despair for the gun blogosphere. The M9A3 has jack-all to do with the MHS program, and everything to do with milking the M9 program for every dollar they can. You think the military is gonna pay for threaded barrels, night sights, and a fancy paint job for a general issue sidearm? No chance.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    They should have went to a frame mounted safety/decocker. I hate the slide controls as they activate when slingshotting the slide.

This ^^^. Yes, I can see that happening, relying on the first round being chambered after a quick mag change and ready to fire immediately......... oops, not quite, Lorena's safety switch is engaged.

Why do grunts need removable sights and threaded barrels? In my experience, stuff like that will likely just cause more work for the armorers. An accessory rail? That juts means a lot of holsters will need to be replaced. A thinner grip will help people with smaller hands. A better magazine is never a bad idea so long as it's backwards compatible.

Color me stupid, but I read this ^^^ as a magazine being inserted backwards into the firearm. I don't know of any modern firearm, or any firearm that'll work with the magazine inserted backwards. And if by some remote chance there is such an animal, the boowlitz would have to be in backwards. Can somebody explain this please.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Color me stupid, but I read this ^^^ as a magazine being inserted backwards into the firearm. I don't know of any modern firearm, or any firearm that'll work with the magazine inserted backwards. And if by some remote chance there is such an animal, the boowlitz would have to be in backwards. Can somebody explain this please.

:lol: Backwards compatibility means that the new magazine works with the legacy M9 platform. :lol2::lol2:

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    They should have went to a frame mounted safety/decocker. I hate the slide controls as they activate when slingshotting the slide.

Sucks for those of us with small hands too, reaching that safety can be a bitch.

I had the safety interfere with me too when I would slingshot the slide. It's how I always do it so it's second nature.

Guy running the range I was qualifying at told me "that's why you use the slide release lever". I just shook my head and kept my mouth shut for once.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I wonder why they still stick with the open slide design. Seems one of the biggest complaints about the M9 is sand and dirt getting packed in it.

Carried it(M9) for 25 years in every corner of the world and never got sand or dirt packed in the slide. But, the empty cases always ejected and I think that the large opening was one reason that it did so well. And when I say I carried it, I carried it into mud, sand, sand storms, snow, woodlands you name it. It always worked well and while it may not be a .40 or .45 it is a good gun that's easy to use and maintain. Merry Christmas to all!!

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Carried it(M9) for 25 years in every corner of the world and never got sand or dirt packed in the slide. But, the empty cases always ejected and I think that the large opening was one reason that it did so well. And when I say I carried it, I carried it into mud, sand, sand storms, snow, woodlands you name it. It always worked well and while it may not be a .40 or .45 it is a good gun that's easy to use and maintain. Merry Christmas to all!!

Ditto. Transitioned to the M9 after using the worn out 1911's we were issued. Had our growing pains but I went from low expert to blowing the X ring out. Toted it the rest of my career. You take care of your tools and it will take care of you.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

:lol: Backwards compatibility means that the new magazine works with the legacy M9 platform. :lol2::lol2:

Oooopppsss........:o

Guess everybody gotta' laugh outta' my last post though I was quite serious with it; chalk it up to terminology unfamiliarization in this case.:D

EDIT:

Now that I've posted that response and reread it again, it's actually quite funny. LOL

89GLH

Jan 26, 2012
    Am I correct to assume I'd need a CA compliant version here in the Soviet Maryland state? 10 round mags only? I called the Westminster barracks for clarification only to be hurried off the phone.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    The slide mounted safety is the exact reason I opted for the Taurus PT92 rather than the Beretta (that and the cost).

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Am I correct to assume I'd need a CA compliant version here in the Soviet Maryland state? 10 round mags only? I called the Westminster barracks for clarification only to be hurried off the phone.

10rd cap mags are the maximum size that can be sold, received, manufactured, or purchased in MD.

Feb 28, 2013
    Oooopppsss........:o

Guess everybody gotta' laugh outta' my last post though I was quite serious with it; chalk it up to terminology unfamiliarization in this case.:D

EDIT:

Now that I've posted that response and reread it again, it's actually quite funny. LOL

Oh, so you weren't kidding about that?:innocent0

I think they messed it up too.

I think my old Taurus PT92 with cheap wood grips looks better and I definitely like the frame safety better.

I once pondered trading my Taurus for a Beretta. At this point I'm glad I didn't. After thinking about, I don't like the slide mounted controls either.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I think they messed it up too.

I think my old Taurus PT92 with cheap wood grips looks better and I definitely like the frame safety better.

Me too. I have a PT99 I purchased in the mid-80s, my first center-fire handgun. It's had thousands of rounds through it and never a failure to feed or fire. Odd thing is, at the time I purchased it, Beretta still made some models of their 92 with a frame mounted safety. That was the original design, which Taurus adopted and never changed when they got the Beretta tooling to make the PT92 & 99.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... a frame mounted safety. That was the original design...

Oh, that makes it worse.

It's worse because they started with the right design, then some idiot engineer came along and, at some expense and effort, deliberately went to extraordinary trouble to screw it up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom