• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    I have pretty much limited myself to toolcraft phosphate, bcm, and the unicorn of finding a SOLGW for any builds now. I've always been on the train of thought that if I have a solid bolt and solid barrel I can save some money elsewhere and come out pretty good.

Looking back there was a fair amount of time in 2020 that had me watching like a hawk to finish a few builds.

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    I have a LOT of email notifications for BCGs, and ended up caving and just getting a good deal on an Aero milspec BCG. I am not mad about it, but would prefer to keep getting BCM.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Makes sense.

I've seen this happen with ammo, too. Currently sitting on a badly crimped batch of PMC X Tac 55gr.

My wife and I have to shoot for qualification this weekend for renewals and we may have to dig into our ammunition stockpile because I don't trust the new production stuff for this purpose.

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    Depends on what you consider high quality.

In my world a high quality BCG means proper TDP dimensions or better, and a good surface finish in the proper areas.

Most people buy based on appearance and brand name.

You have to admit that there is at least some correlation between brand name and quality - not in every part, but definitely in BCGs.

BCM, for example, puts out a consistently high quality BCG, as opposed to Bear Creek which is just barely mil spec if at all.

I will completely agree with you that there are a lot of upcharges that are simply for a logo or roll mark, like on many AR lowers.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    You have to admit that there is at least some correlation between brand name and quality - not in every part, but definitely in BCGs.

BCM, for example, puts out a consistently high quality BCG, as opposed to Bear Creek which is just barely mil spec if at all.

I will completely agree with you that there are a lot of upcharges that are simply for a logo or roll mark, like on many AR lowers.

Even BCM or DD BCG's can have issues. The catch is that they tend to have fewer issues/ better QC than less expensive brands. Not every BCG they put out is perfect, though.

Clandestine has a video on youtube of a BCM bcg with a rough internal chrome lining, for example.

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    Even BCM or DD BCG's can have issues. The catch is that they tend to have fewer issues/ better QC than less expensive brands. Not every BCG they put out is perfect, though.

Clandestine has a video on youtube of a BCM bcg with a rough internal chrome lining, for example.

That is a risk I am willing to take.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

We will have to disagree. In my world brand is no guarantee of quality or lack thereof.

Many people talk about Milspec (TDP) but have no way to determine it. They trust what the sales literature says. I do have ways to determine the specs, because it's what I do for a living.

I would like to go into more detail but I really can't due to ND Agreements that I am legally bound to. I can make a broad statement and say that many AR Manufacturers send their people to my classes, and pay me to do consult/R&D for them.

I don't expect to convince anyone, and I'm fine if those reading don't take my advice or believe me.

Chad
    School of the American Rifle

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    We will have to disagree. In my world brand is no guarantee of quality or lack thereof.

We do not disagree entirely. Brand does not equal quality, but as I said, there is a stronger correlation between reputable brands and putting out quality parts, than less-reputable brands putting out quality parts.

I trust that say, a Knight's rifle will come out of the box with better QC than a "comparable" PSA rifle. QC news travels fast (see Geissele), and reputable brands, to me, have often earned that reputation.

Again, there is still some upcharge for the roll mark, and that is just the reality of business.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    We do not disagree entirely. Brand does not equal quality, but as I said, there is a stronger correlation between reputable brands and putting out quality parts, than less-reputable brands putting out quality parts.

I trust that say, a Knight's rifle will come out of the box with better QC than a "comparable" PSA rifle. QC news travels fast (see Geissele), and reputable brands, to me, have often earned that reputation.

Again, there is still some upcharge for the roll mark, and that is just the reality of business.

If there is anyone who knows this stuff backwards and forwards its clandestine.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I'll bite,,
    you sold me, so what is next?
    Does one have to invest in 5-10K worth of tools and 50 hours in schooling in order to buy a BCG?

I am agreeing with you,, You never know what you will get and no amount of money will guarantee you will receive an "In spec" product.

So if your average hobbyist was buying a BCG,, whats next?

Many people talk about Milspec (TDP) but have no way to determine it. They trust what the sales literature says. I do have ways to determine the specs, because it's what I do for a living.

I would like to go into more detail but I really can't due to ND Agreements that I am legally bound to. I can make a broad statement and say that many AR Manufacturers send their people to my classes, and pay me to do consult/R&D for them.

I don't expect to convince anyone, and I'm fine if those reading don't take my advice or believe me.

Chad
    School of the American Rifle

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'll bite,,
    Does one have to invest in 5-10K worth of tools and 50 hours in schooling in order to buy a BCG?

I am agreeing with you,, You never know what you will get and no amount of money will guarantee you will receive an "In spec" product.

So if your average hobbyist was buying a BCG, whats next?

I'm not here to sell anything. I do have lots of free instruction on YouTube that shows what I look for and why.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I'll bite,,

So if your average hobbyist was buying a BCG,, whats next?

You just need to be careful. I have some gauges but certainly not what Clandestine has. The SOLGWs and BCMs of the world can only do so much in this market. If you have to buy do it with caution and when you have the ability to fully gauge take advantage of it.

I have several friends that have decided that now is when they want to get in the AR game, arguably one of the worst times for quality. We'll do our best to get decent brands and do QC and assembly. The rifles will run well and be assembled properly but they need to know they won't be perfect.

I purchased parts before the mad rush and have them stored. I distinguish between my pre rush and current purchases because they are different. No arguing that.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I was not insinuating that you were selling,, (When I said "you sold me" I meant, I hear what your saying)
    You do have a solid rep here on this board,, So I was genuinely asking what is "The Next step" for a "hobbyist"

I will check out your videos,

Thanks

I'm not here to sell anything. I do have lots of free instruction on YouTube that shows what I look for and why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom