• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikebalt

Nov 4, 2014
    Catonsville, MD
    I saw a news piece on Howard County's initiative with bleeding control kits and thought that would be a great thing to have.. As a frequent shooter at ranges, etc you never know when there might be an accident or given the current climate, some mass shooting.

Here is the email I received back from Howard County about where to purchase if interested..

§ Individual Bleeding Control Kit (Vacuum Sealed Pouch) – Cost: $64.98. Vendor: North American Rescue, LLC. Vendor Point of Contact: Brent Bronson <bbronson@narescue.com>.

§ Standard (Multi-Patient) Bleeding Control Kit (Nylon Pouch) – Cost: $375. Vendor: Z-Medica. Vendor Point of Contact: Robert Brown <rbrown@z-medica.com>.

These are Howard County Government prices and may or may not be what they charge the general public.

Youtube video about it..

https://youtu.be/01PuOvMduj0

Loggie

Jun 6, 2016
    Westminster, MD
    I saw a news piece on Howard County's initiative with bleeding control kits and thought that would be a great thing to have.. As a frequent shooter at ranges, etc you never know when there might be an accident or given the current climate, some mass shooting.

Here is the email I received back from Howard County about where to purchase if interested..

§ Individual Bleeding Control Kit (Vacuum Sealed Pouch) – Cost: $64.98. Vendor: North American Rescue, LLC. Vendor Point of Contact: Brent Bronson <bbronson@narescue.com>.

§ Standard (Multi-Patient) Bleeding Control Kit (Nylon Pouch) – Cost: $375. Vendor: Z-Medica. Vendor Point of Contact: Robert Brown <rbrown@z-medica.com>.

These are Howard County Government prices and may or may not be what they charge the general public.

Youtube video about it..

https://youtu.be/01PuOvMduj0
    Consider looking at Amazon.com. They have many options at varying prices. I purchased several CAT-tourniquets and clotting products before deploying to Afghanistan. Fortunately I didn't have to use them, but they were quality products.

Loggie
    US Army Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    Patriot Guard Rider

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If it's too big to keep with you, it probably won't be when you need it. I like "Adventure medical kits", and add supplies as needed, keep them in the cars and at home, add things like Tums, Advil and lots of bandaids for the kids, and it works out well, we use them often. My local gunshop caries a bunch, and a few specialty kits for GSWs or even bandages for dogs if you like to hike with your best friend. Their $20 trauma kit has gauze, gloves and a Quikclot sponge, add a tourniquet and chest seal, and you have the basics in a compact kit, will fit into most any range bag

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Rather than something for people to have, this appears to an addition to an AED station. It's been a while since I've watched a basic demo of the AED. I'm still not sure how to stuff the clot gauze into a tiny .223 hole to even get close to the vessel. I need more training and I still find I know more than the average joe that even knows where the closest med kit is.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I'm not a medical guy but tourniquets are basically a last resort. You want to lose a limb or die from blood loss? That's the choice you make with a tourniquet. This guy was pretty casual about the distinction.

You also don't need a special bit of webbing with velcro attached. Anything strip or string-like can be a tourniquet.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I'm not a medical guy but tourniquets are basically a last resort. You want to lose a limb or die from blood loss? That's the choice you make with a tourniquet. This guy was pretty casual about the distinction.

You also don't need a special bit of webbing with velcro attached. Anything strip or string-like can be a tourniquet.

Thanks to wars on 2 fronts your info has found to be overstated. With a quality tourniquet they should be relatively safe for up to 2 hours and many have been left on for far longer without any damage.

Using 550 cord, shoe strings or like sized material can cut skin and crush/damage arteries. Its better than bleeding out but not as good as a cat tourniquet or a similar product and is more likely to cause other issues.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Thanks to wars on 2 fronts your info has found to be overstated. With a quality tourniquet they should be relatively safe for up to 2 hours and many have been left on for far longer without any damage.

Using 550 cord, shoe strings or like sized material can cut skin and crush/damage arteries. Its better than bleeding out but not as good as a cat tourniquet or a similar product and is more likely to cause other issues.

Good to know :thumbsup:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If it's too big to keep with you, it probably won't be when you need it. I like "Adventure medical kits", and add supplies as needed, keep them in the cars and at home, add things like Tums, Advil and lots of bandaids for the kids, and it works out well, we use them often. My local gunshop caries a bunch, and a few specialty kits for GSWs or even bandages for dogs if you like to hike with your best friend. Their $20 trauma kit has gauze, gloves and a Quikclot sponge, add a tourniquet and chest seal, and you have the basics in a compact kit, will fit into most any range bag

That is what I go with, a .7 in my hunting butt pack and one in my backpacking pack (for hunting and backpacking respectively of course). Add a few extras like some extra single serve medicines, some 2x3" trauma pads, extra gauze, box of matches and some chlorine dioxide water purification tablets which all fit in there. Not much of a gun wound kit, but great for more typical injuries back in the woods or getting lost and better than nothing even for something like firearm trauma.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    sajaa.co.za/index.php/sajaa/article/download/888/1053
    some good info on tourniquets.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I keep a small first aid kit in my range bag. Gauze, rubber cord to make a tourniquet, and alcohol for sterilization purposes. I figure that if that doesn't suffice I'm (or whoever was injured) in serious trouble.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I threw one of those adventure kits in the basket of my beach cruiser bicycle last summer when my wife and parents went for a leisurely ride from Dewey to Cape Henlopin in Delaware.

My father decided to rent a 10 speed instead of the beach cruiser he was recommended and sure as crap went over the handlebars resulting in a compound dislocation of his pinkey.

Never been so glad to have a med kit to keep him stable while the ambo came.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

So much this, a CAT tourniquet, properly placed and tightened is relatively safe with a low risk of embolism when released or permanent damage to the limb. The technique for use is at least as important as using a proper tourniquet. Improvised tourniquets, especially something thin are far more dangerous, if you forsee the need for one (definitely in a bleeding control or range kit), get an actual CAT, they are not terribly expensive. Sure you can use a t-shirt for gauze and a bootlace as a tourniquet, if you are unprepared, and want the huge increase in risk compared to purposeful medical tools and supplies.

this sums it up well:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-professionals/clinical-updates/trauma/combat-tested-tourniquets-save-lives-limbs

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010

good advice. are you referring to this kit? http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Med...l kits&qid=1465490149&ref_=sr_1_2_a_it&sr=8-2

Also, what do you keep all the stuff in, a medium bag?

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    So much this, a CAT tourniquet, properly placed and tightened is relatively safe with a low risk of embolism when released or permanent damage to the limb. The technique for use is at least as important as using a proper tourniquet. Improvised tourniquets, especially something thin are far more dangerous, if you forsee the need for one (definitely in a bleeding control or range kit), get an actual CAT, they are not terribly expensive. Sure you can use a t-shirt for gauze and a bootlace as a tourniquet, if you are unprepared, and want the huge increase in risk compared to purposeful medical tools and supplies.

this sums it up well:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-professionals/clinical-updates/trauma/combat-tested-tourniquets-save-lives-limbs

How adequate is rubber surgical tubing for a tourniquet? It has a lot of other non-medical uses but I'm guessing still not as good as a CAT?

Surgical tubing is NOT a good substitute. See the other above quote. CAT Tourniquets are proven and time tested. If you feel you should be prepared to have a TQ on hand, have one. They are relately inexpensive. But beware of counterfeits, make sure you buy from a reputable source. If the plan is to try and Macgyver a TQ in a stressful situation, the results not be as effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom